5-4-3-2-1 Training Method

if the gym is too busy… can i substatute db press for bence press… sometimes there are too many people in the gym to take up too many stations

The 5-4-3-2-1 is a rep scheme/ loading parameter you would use for a single exercise in a workout, and it typically comes third in the workout. If you have made it this far you should already be on whatever equipment you need to use.

He has written about it in the past, but More recently has used it mainly as part of his “layer system” in which you use just one exercise for the workout, but use a variety of rep schemes/styles to achieve various goals.

Example:

Incline bench press (Or whatever big exercise is the focus… Squat, Dead, Overhead Press, High Pull)

• Ramp to 3RM

• using 90% of ramp, Do3 sets of singles with 10 seconds of rest in between until failure ( “cluster set” )

• using 80% of ramp do 3 sets of 5-4-3-2-1 with 15 seconds in between each mini-set (“HDL” or Heavy Density Lifting)

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
The 5-4-3-2-1 is a rep scheme/ loading parameter you would use for a single exercise in a workout, and it typically comes third in the workout. If you have made it this far you should already be on whatever equipment you need to use.

He has written about it in the past, but More recently has used it mainly as part of his “layer system” in which you use just one exercise for the workout, but use a variety of rep schemes/styles to achieve various goals.

Example:

Incline bench press (Or whatever big exercise is the focus… Squat, Dead, Overhead Press, High Pull)

• Ramp to 3RM

• using 90% of ramp, Do3 sets of singles with 10 seconds of rest in between until failure ( “cluster set” )

• using 80% of ramp do 3 sets of 5-4-3-2-1 with 15 seconds in between each mini-set (“HDL” or Heavy Density Lifting)[/quote]
    I believe he is referring to the Built for Bad: Strength Circuits.

If he is, then yes. As long as your pick movements that stimulate the whole body and don’t put similar movements one after another, you’ll grow with that program.

EDIT: And yes! Read the post down below. CT has it right. I loved BfB. The only reason I stopped was because I started training with a partner.

[quote]Colbstar wrote:

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

Example:

• Ramp to 3RM

• using 80% of ramp do 3 sets of 5-4-3-2-1 with 15 seconds in between each mini-set (“HDL” or Heavy Density Lifting)[/quote]
    I believe he is referring to the Built for Bad: Strength Circuits.

If he is, then yes. As long as your pick movements that stimulate the whole body and don’t be similar movements one after another, you’ll grow with that program.
[/quote]

That is 90% of the correct answer… the rest would be: if you pick DB presses the you stick with DB presses for the whole cycle, do not switch back to the bench press (if you are doing BfB of course)