5-4-3-2-1 Rep Scheme

Hey Coach,

I want to use the 5-4-3-2-1 rep scheme in my next program. Since the reps are changing every set, I suppose the double progression method cannot be used. I wanted to ask what kind of progression model I need to follow using this scheme, and how I understand if I got stronger or when I should increase the weights. Should I try to increase them every week as told in the Built for Bad Strength Circuits? I am not going to do circuits though. Thank you in advance.

No you can’t use the double progression, obviously. Progression with this system depends a lot on self-analysis. If every sets were solid and there where no grinding you can increase the load by 5-10lbs the next time this workout comes around.

If any of the sets were a tad hard (you had to grind a rep)I’d stick with the same weight.

Thanks for the answer coach. I have another question if you don’t mind, I am going to train each lift 2 times a week with a—one day squat-bench and one day sumo deadlift-an explosive pull—split, each done twice. Would I be better off using 80%-82.5%-85%-90%-95% on both days I train a lift, or, one day
80%-85%-90%-95%-100% and the other day 80%-82.5%-85%-90%-95%? And what would be the best exercise as the explosive pull, or is this split good in the first place? I initially intended to do the original Built for Bad Circuits but I train at a college gym and it is extremely crowded so even super setting two movements is very difficult. Thank you for your time.

Don’t go to 100%… the while the sets of 3 will normally be challenging I do not want the sets of 1 to be an all-out effort