5-4-3-2-1, I Love It

I loved this rep scheme with 10 seconds between the 5-4-3-2-1. It works best for me on the big lifts.

Here’s why:

1. 5 (Easy…I usually go 6-8 with that weight)
  2. 4 (Last rep was slow)
  3. 3 ( Max effort on # 3)
  4. 2 (First was tough …Barely got 2nd off)
  5. 1 (I should have had a spotter!!)

This gave me a max effort at leat 3 times in one set. Sore for 4 days (Real sore, not just feeling it). I only did 1 set…today I try 2.

I’ve found the next body shocker thanks to the latest T articles!

Thanks!

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Thanks![/quote]

Really?

Oh, BTW, repost.

After reading that article, I thought about taking a month or so and performing this set/rep scheme for every exercise I am currently doing while limiting myself to 1 exercise per muscle group per day. I lift 4 days/week with upper/lower split. I’ve been lifting for about for about 14 years (27 now).

I think this would be challenging and a nice change of pace. Any thoughts? And yes, I think I know what I’m doing given my experience, but it never hurts to hear other opinions.

As an example, hear is a upper day off the top of my head:
Bench Press
Pullups
Dips
DB Shoulder Press
BB Curls

[quote]Chewie wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
Thanks!

Really?

Oh, BTW, repost.[/quote]

I’m laughing on the inside. (Straight Face)

Today was my 2nd WO with the 5-4-3-2-1 method. I’ve always been a fan of RP training. I’ve done well with a 3-2-1-1-1-1-1-1 scheme. But it’s always good to try something different so I’ll see what this does for me the next month or so.

I am going to give this a shot this week, never tried it before, looking for a change from German High Volume…I was thinking maybe adding some time-under-tension work after, any thoughts???

Well you might feel that is necessary since 5-4-3-2-1 is geared towards intensity and there is less overall volume than …say…like a 5X5 set…or something of that nature

[quote]WinnipegMuscle wrote:
I am going to give this a shot this week, never tried it before, looking for a change from German High Volume…I was thinking maybe adding some time-under-tension work after, any thoughts???[/quote]

Umm, if you have strength to do that, do another 5-1 set instead, but with a 2 second up and 4 seconds down to increase tension…I doubt you could last long with that combo.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
I loved this rep scheme with 10 seconds between the 5-4-3-2-1. It works best for me on the big lifts.

Here’s why:

1. 5 (Easy…I usually go 6-8 with that weight)
  2. 4 (Last rep was slow)
  3. 3 ( Max effort on # 3)
  4. 2 (First was tough …Barely got 2nd off)
  5. 1 (I should have had a spotter!!)

This gave me a max effort at leat 3 times in one set. Sore for 4 days (Real sore, not just feeling it). I only did 1 set…today I try 2.

Thanks![/quote]

I tried to today but started off too heavy. Great to see you really liked it. I think I need to do like you and start with something I can do for 7-8. After the first one failed I ended up just doing something else. Later this week though I am going to try it again with the correct weight. Out of all the things I have read lately this one seems to be “fun.”

If you barely got through the sequence but were able to complete all the reps and within the 10-12 second rest periods, only increase the weight by 5 lbs at a time (yes, use the 2 1/2 lb plates!)

You may be tempted to go for more but chances are if you go with 10 lbs, you’ll end up not getting the reps or having to take longer rests. 5 lb increments are so subtle and sneaky that your body wont hardly notice, but after 4 such workouts, you’re ahead 20 lbs!

I did this today and loved it! My chest was fried. Huge pump too!

DB Incline Press - 3 sets of 5,4,3,2,1 (I had to go down in weight with each set)
DB Flat Press - 4 sets of 10
Dips - 4 sets of 5 (I was too fried)
Incline flys - 4 sets of 10-12

The author says this scheme is for advanced lifters. What is an advanced lifter?

I’d say someone who’s been lifting consistantly for at least 2 years.

[quote]Bestmiler wrote:
The author says this scheme is for advanced lifters. What is an advanced lifter?[/quote]

me

Well then there you go :slight_smile: Give it a try…