T Nation

5-3-2 What Does It Mean?

Hi guys,

could someone explain to me what this means (reg reps and sets)? I tried google-ing but to no avail. There is Wendlers 5/3/1 which (I suppose) means you do 5rep max, then 3rep max, then 1rep max. Am I right?

Thanks

That isn’t what 5/3/1 means. If you want to do 5/3/1, you should invest in the book.

As far as what 5/3/2 means, my understanding is it is a modified 5/3/1. It’s not really relevant until you understand 5/3/1 and have some experience with it.

Try using the search on this site. I normally then click on “articles”

I think this was the first hit: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

Thanks for the reply.

However, I do have some basic knowledbe about cycles, periodization, etc. It’s just that I couldnt find any more info on this 5/3/2 set/rep scheme and it’s integral for the “One lift routine” in week 3, there is an article here on TNation site.

Cheers

Thanx Gambit, I know about this article. That’s why I am confused. Does it mean that I ldt as follows in week 3 (5/3/2):

MON
Bench press 3x5 RM
Bench 3x3RM
Bench 3x2RM

TUE
Pullups w. weight (or rows, whatever) 3x5
Pullups w. weight 3x3
Pullups w. weight 3x2

WED
Overhead press 3x5RM
Overhead press 3x3RM

etc?

Hmmm… You are posting in the beginners forum and trying to do a workout that you don’t have in front of you. Am I understanding this correctly?

Do you have the book (linked to in the article I linked above)? How long have you been doing 5/3/1?

To clear something up…

You just wrote “3x5RM”. No one does this.

In fact, no one CAN do this.

A real five rep max is a set of five that will leave you unable to perform the same set again within at least five minutes. People usually don’t train with their maxes because it means running into a brick wall. leaving a rep or two in the tank is preferable when you do low reps for strength.

in 5-3-2 the ‘2’ is a balls to the wall two rep max, 5 and 3 should be tough warm ups for that

[quote]astrbac wrote:
However, I do have some basic knowledbe about cycles, periodization, etc. It’s just that I couldnt find any more info on this 5/3/2 set/rep scheme and it’s integral for the “One lift routine” in week 3, there is an article here on TNation site.[/quote]
You’re referring to the One Lift a Day program.

That’s written by Dan John and it has nothing at all to do with Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 style of training.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
in 5-3-2 the ‘2’ is a balls to the wall two rep max, 5 and 3 should be tough warm ups for that [/quote]
Yep. A kinda heavy set of 5, rest a while, then a bit heavier for a set of 3, rest a while, then a very, very heavy set of 2. Done for the day.

THANK-YOU Chris, right on the bat. :wink: that’s what I wanted to know.

Cheers!

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]astrbac wrote:
However, I do have some basic knowledbe about cycles, periodization, etc. It’s just that I couldnt find any more info on this 5/3/2 set/rep scheme and it’s integral for the “One lift routine” in week 3, there is an article here on TNation site.[/quote]
You’re referring to the One Lift a Day program.

That’s written by Dan John and it has nothing at all to do with Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 style of training.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
in 5-3-2 the ‘2’ is a balls to the wall two rep max, 5 and 3 should be tough warm ups for that [/quote]
Yep. A kinda heavy set of 5, rest a while, then a bit heavier for a set of 3, rest a while, then a very, very heavy set of 2. Done for the day.[/quote]

Wow. Nice catch.