T Nation

5/3/1 with an Inconsistent Schedule

With hunting season being in full throttle I will be spending a lot of time in the back country. With my current work schedule I’m gone for 3-4 days and 3 nights. I have been running a 3 day/week template from Forever 531 but now I will not be able to lift 3 days consistently every week. Has anyone had any experience like this? What are some templates and/or some ideas for programming. I like the limited time template in Forever but I was also thinking about doing 1 main lift a day with 5x5 FSL after and assistance. Just lifting 2 days a week and 3 whenever I can. Thanks for any feedback.

Unless this is going to be your situation for like 6 months it doesn’t matter.

More important than the programming is the eating. If you’re anything like me, you’re going to lose weight in the woods unless you make some serious preparations.

1 Like

Lol, that was my first thought. I just meal prepped a weeks worth of chili with rice and beans for deer camp.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter at all, I think you’d even be fine on training 2 days a week.

You could either do a 2 day a week program with 2 main lifts per day. Or just do something like;

Main lift, supplemental (maybe something a little ballsy like BBB or BBS, I mean you have the recovery time) and 3 assistance exercises -> training whenever you can. A lot of people report back with great results spreading 4 workouts (what would’ve been 1 training week) over 2 weeks.

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking about doing. Maybe FSL as a supplement lift.