T Nation

5/3/1 w/ Smith Machine Bench and Goblet Squat?

So, I recently started a new job that has a gym in the building, and I'm looking to do my workouts there both to save money on gym membership, and because they allow me to go train during work hours, hence saving home time and getting paid to lift which is pretty cool.

However, the gym does not have a squat rack, or a proper bench (one that you has handles to place the bar on). And I really wanted to start 5/3/1...
The Gym does have barbells, lots of dumbells going up to about 60 lbs, kettlbells, pully machine and a smith machine.

My questions is; would it be productive doing 5/3/1 while replacing the bench with a smith machine bench, and the regular squat with a goblet squat?
Or Should I abandon 5/3/1 and try to find a program that does not include the barbell bench press and the regular squat?

You could try doing SOME of 5/3/1 at work and some at a location with a squat rack/bench:

squat day: somewhere with a rack, maybe save up for one with gym cost avoidance
bench day: MAYBE at work until you get a rack, then do at home
deadlift day: at work
overhead press day: at work, start each set with a clean

Even if you got half your workouts in at work it seems like it’d be worth it. It would be nice to be able to do everything there, but I don’t think I could find a program I would want to do without real squats and bench.

I think using 5/3/1 with these movements is not sensible. Bench maybe for a short period (still not ideal), goblet squats - no. How could you incorporate 5/3/1 sets and reps to a db-movement for what you have weights to only 60lb?

EDIT. IF you have barbell and plates everything is ok. If you are not training for PL, I would say Deadlifts, Front squats, Cleans, OHP and rows (and floor bench maybe?) will take you long way.

Best idea would be still hit other gym 1-2 times a week and squat/bench with a proper rack.

I would recommend using the program for the deadlift, press and power clean - all things that you can easily do where you are at. If you can’t train at another gym one day a week for the squat/bench press then just do a ton of one leg work and dumbbell work.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
I would recommend using the program for the deadlift, press and power clean - all things that you can easily do where you are at. If you can’t train at another gym one day a week for the squat/bench press then just do a ton of one leg work and dumbbell work.[/quote]

Hmm, intersting. Do you know any template that could be modified to fit what you’re suggesting?

Thanks for all the answers btw

[quote]GrapplingGuy wrote:

I would recommend using the program for the deadlift, press and power clean - all things that you can easily do where you are at. If you can’t train at another gym one day a week for the squat/bench press then just do a ton of one leg work and dumbbell work.[/quote]

Hmm, intersting. Do you know any template that could be modified to fit what you’re suggesting?

[/quote]

You could probably modify 5/3/1 for strongman “template”

It’s a 3 day template that has a overhead press/upper day, a deadlift/lower day, and a power clean/events day

[quote]TX iron wrote:

[quote]GrapplingGuy wrote:

[/quote]

You could probably modify 5/3/1 for strongman “template”

It’s a 3 day template that has a overhead press/upper day, a deadlift/lower day, and a power clean/events day
[/quote]

• for this. Some kind of squatting as dl assistance could be good idea. Single leg work or FS are great options.

Jim did a live spill about no rack no problem. Helped me a lot.

http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/1400