5/3/1 - VetteDood Log

Firstly I’d like to introduce myself as I’m new here. I live in Miami and have been in the gym business for around 30 years. Started working at Jack LaLanne Health Spas in NY last century 1983. Lived in Chicago for a few years and gave up on the crazy cold winters and moved my ass to Miami. Had my own gym for a while and now work privately as a Personal Trainer and Massage Therapist.

Had my fair share of successes and failures in the gym as far as goals are concerned. My profile pic was a contest I did for Max Muscle back in 2000. Won my age group for one of the months but not the whole contest. However I did learn A LOT about what I can accomplish when I put in the effort.

Having said all that here I am and I’m starting the 5/3/1 Boring But Big routine Jim Wendler posted here.

I’m using his exact example. Why? Basically I’m bored with my current regiment and need to try something different. I already started this past Monday. Here are my starting numbers:

Lift - Est 1 Rep Max

Military - 205lbs
DeadLift - 400lbs (I don’t use straps so my grip gives out on the reps so this # may actually be higher for a single, but I’ll use it for now)
Bench - 325lbs
Squat - 410lbs

First Month planned workouts:

Monday - Military
5 x 135
5 x 155
5 x 175

Tuesday - Deadlift
5 x 260
5 x 300
5 x 340

Thursday - Bench
5 x 215
5 x 245
5 x 280

Friday - Squat
5 x 270
5 x 310
5 x 350

Welcome to!

5/3/1 is solid choice…

Thanks… I’m looking forward to the results. I’ll have to keep the ego in check and not push over the prescribed % of the program. I know it’s only the first week but so far I have to say I like the smaller steps.

Week 1 is done and in the books. Felt great on all days. I felt like I had more to give on some of the sets however I’m sticking to the protocol as with time I’ll reach that wall. No need to rush there right?

I took today off from the gym since I cut my finger last night pretty good. Stupid move… bought a new blender - The Ninja - and while taking everything out of the box I sliced my index finger. Now I know why they named it Ninja. Bled pretty good last night. Stopped the bleeding with pressure and eventually bandaged it up. Didn’t want to take the chance of opening it up again today so no gym. Just a jog around the neighborhood. Tomorrow I;m back to weights. Figures crossed, so to speak, I don’t open it up.

Week 1 in the books. Felt great with all lifts. Starting back tomorrow with presses…

Took off from all gym activity today, just went for a jog. Cut open my finger on my new Ninja blender. Damn those blades are sharp!
Let.s hope it doesn’t open up tomorrow… fingers crossed lol

Welcome.

What was your height, weight and age in the pic? and what are your stats currently?

Nice job Vette, I’m doing essentially the same but some extra assistance here and there when I see the need. I had a guy at my gym notice my squat going up today. It’s definitely long-term program, but it works and leaves room for recovery.

BTW, is it “Vette” like Corvette? I have a an ache for a new toy and that is on my list.

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:
Welcome.

What was your height, weight and age in the pic? and what are your stats currently?[/quote]
That was taken back in 2000. I was 35 then. I’m 5’10’’ and was 198lbs and under 5%bf in that pic. Natural by the way. Not that I care about AAS, but that was natural. Today I’m 47 and 210bs and not near 5%… lol. I’ll find a recent pic when I get a chance.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:
Nice job Vette, I’m doing essentially the same but some extra assistance here and there when I see the need. I had a guy at my gym notice my squat going up today. It’s definitely long-term program, but it works and leaves room for recovery.

BTW, is it “Vette” like Corvette? I have a an ache for a new toy and that is on my list. [/quote]
Thanx dude. I’m sticking to the routine as written. Gotta give it a fair chance. On some days I feel like I can give more but I stay in the protocol. It’s about long term after all.

And yes, “Vette” as in Corvette. Always had a place in my heart for them. Truth be told I have a serious boner for the new Stingray. Saving my pennies for the 2014 when it comes out… WEFG

Today was Military Press day - Second week is 3 sets of 3 plus assistance work.
All went perfect for the military Press

3 x 145/165/185

My assistance work today was:

Bench - 5 @165 x 10
PullUps - 5 @ body weight x 10
Barbell curls - 5 @ 80 x 10

Last week I did 100lbs for the barbell curls but I did the assistance work separate. Today I did super setts with them so my curl weight went down to 80lbs barbell. I liked the super sets better so I’ll stick with those. 80 was a challenge towards the end. Maybe next week I’ll change the order and see what happens - PullUps/Bench/Curls. May not make a difference but lets see.

Did the Deadlifts yesterday with my bandaged finger. Made it through without incident. Although I was careful not to grip too much with my pointer finger.

3 x 280/320/360

Assistance work - super setted these.
Squats - 5 @ 205 x 10
Ab Wheel - 5 @ body weight x 10

** I think these numbers are on point. The last set of 3 was a good challenge. Again it could of been my less than perfect grip but I could feel my form start to change. Must concentrate on that next time. Even drop the weight if necessary. Cut finger is ok… blown back is not.

A little catching up to do…

Yesterday was my Bench day. Went well.

3 x 230/260/295

Assistance work:
Military press - 5 x 10 @ 105
super set with
DB Row - 5 x 10 @ 100

DB Curls - 5 x 10 @ 30lbs (very slow)
super set with
Triceps {ushdowns - 5 x 10 @ rack

Today was SQUAT day. I’m focussing on going down further.

3 x 290/330/370

Assistance work super setted these:

Deadlifts - 5 x 10 @ 200lbs
Hanging Leg Raises - 5 x 10 @ body weight

Feeling good so far. Love the hard but relatively quick workouts. Man I was over training before!

Ok, just finished my heavy week. Felt great. The numbers seem to be really on point. My deadlifts are a weak point. Mostly due to form I think. It falters a bit with heavy weights due to a weak posterior chain. So the 3 off days I try to put in some post chain work. Seems to be helping. Also just being very conscious of my form and not losing it during the lift. I’d rather do it correctly and safely than lift a few more pounds. That’s why it’s called “TRAINING” right? Bring up weak spots to have a full well rounded more functional body.

This Monday I start my deload week of relatively light weights for the lifts. Here I can work on the mechanics of the lifts.

By the way for the past week + I’ve using Flameout and ZMA. I have to say Flameout really works man… Feel great.

Ok, commercial is over. thanks