T Nation

5/3/1 Two-a-Days?

Hey,

Due to a changing work schedule, I can only train twice a week. I’ve read the book, and Jim provides a 2x/week template for those of us who fall in to this category. However, the days that I can train I have wide open availability and was wondering if I could get some opinions regarding the idea of two-a-days on these two days.

The ideas I had were either:
Week1
Lower - AM
Upper - PM

Week2
Upper - AM
Lower - PM

Week3
Repeat

OR

5/3/1 Squat & Bench AM
Accessory/Assistance PM

5/3/1 Deadlift & Military Press AM
Accessory/Assistance PM

etc.

Any other ideas or tips?

[quote]Nhh wrote:
Hey,

Due to a changing work schedule, I can only train twice a week. I’ve read the book, and Jim provides a 2x/week template for those of us who fall in to this category. However, the days that I can train I have wide open availability and was wondering if I could get some opinions regarding the idea of two-a-days on these two days.

The ideas I had were either:
Week1
Lower - AM
Upper - PM

Week2
Upper - AM
Lower - PM

Week3
Repeat

OR

5/3/1 Squat & Bench AM
Accessory/Assistance PM

5/3/1 Deadlift & Military Press AM
Accessory/Assistance PM

etc.

Any other ideas or tips?
[/quote]
I do 2 days a week, and whether or not the 2 days are back to back or spaced out would change my opinions, I’m forced to train Saturday/Sunday.
I think the first scheme you mentioned would work better for me, I would also try to work in squats, light as warm-up every workout, can’t remember where Jim recommended this, but it works very well, all the other lifts will go up just fine on the frequency you mentioned, but in my experience and based on Jim’s recommendations, squatting twice a week, even if it’s mostly light, helps my squat.

Thanks, I’ll have a look around the site to see if I can find where he says that. I should mention though that the two days I can train are non-consecutive.

You structure your workout however way you like as long as you can recover properly.

Do you have time for conditioning outside of your “training days”?

If not, perhaps you should consider following the standard twice a week split, in the a.m, and do heavy conditioning in the p.m?

But yeah, otherwise I’d definitely squat twice a week.

[quote]panzerfaust wrote:
Do you have time for conditioning outside of your “training days”?

If not, perhaps you should consider following the standard twice a week split, in the a.m, and do heavy conditioning in the p.m?

But yeah, otherwise I’d definitely squat twice a week.[/quote]

Yes, I’ll have time for conditioning outside of those two days. Also, there is a chance that some weeks I might have the opportunity to have a third day of “strongman” impliments at some point in the week.

I would just to a normal 2 day split, especially if you’re doing plenty of conditioning and also sometimes doing strongman stuff.

If you want to keep squatting each week, you could do squats at the deload percentages on your deadlift day. Right now I do that as my quad assistance work.

I would do:

Day 1 AM: Bench 5/3/1 + Assistance
Day 1 PM: Squat 5/3/1 + Assistance and Conditioning if time

Day 2 AM: Press 5/3/1 + assistance
Day 2 PM: Dead 5/3/1 + assist and conditioning if time

If you have time, separate out the conditioning to the day after or any other day you can except the day before the lifts.

Training 2 days a week you can basically go SICK during the sessions with almost no fear of over training, so go for it.