5/3/1 Training Log

Thanks. Like I said if there’s a better way I’m all for it. I’d like to get my body fat% down so if that means switching to a low fat diet that I can consume more carbs in I’m all for it. I guess I was just going for a deficit but probably cut too much. Any advice is helpful.

Have a look at the jackolee transformation log, its very informative and inspiring. It certainly opened my eyes to a few things. I’ll tag him @jackolee and hopefully he could give you a few pointers.

Thanks man I appreciate it!

Hi dpeels, @alphonsus12 is right - that is very low for calories. I’m not an expert by any means but I was cutting on more than that and I’m only around 150 lbs. In fact, in the last 2 weeks I’ve eaten around 2400 cals (supposedly bulking!) and I’ve dropped another 2 lbs and a cm off my waist…go figure

I’m sure someone more qualified will give you some good pointers.

1 Like

Thanks. I guess I am cutting it back too far just trying to get this fat off me. My whole family has always been pretty heavy. I don’t really care about the number on the scale but I would like for this belly fat to come off lol. In all seriousness I just want to lose fat and increase my strength on Bench, Squat, DL, and OH Press.

Get a calorie tracker app, like myfitnesspal. It’s made a huge difference for me in being aware of what macros and calories I’m eating, and what I should be eating for my goals. It only takes a few minutes per day once you’ve learned how to use it effectively.

1 Like

I must need a lesson in macros because after I enter in my breakfast and dinner it says I have already exceeded the calories for my goal lol

What is your goal? Are you weighing your food or guestimating?

weighing well except for the spinach this morning. I’m trying to lose weight/fat. When I started dieting 5 months ago I was 282 and 36%BF now I’m at 241 and 29%BF. Would like to get BF below 20.

40 lb in 5 months is pretty fast, 2 lb a week, so you’re operating at a fairly substantial deficit. You could be losing some muscle at that much of a deficit, but I bet you’re not losing much with as much body fat as you’re carrying. What calorie target are you trying to hit per day?

Awesome job dropping that much weight that fast, though!

That was my worry when I first started dieting so I started training again. After football I kind of just let myself go and I started coaching. Then I looked in the mirror one day and was like damn I’m a fat ass so I started dieting. My calorie target has been at 1700 per day with less than 20 net carbs per day.

The weight loss was real sudden at first then kind of slowly went down. I lost 20 pounds in my first two and a half weeks then it’s been pretty consistent 1-2 pounds per week.

That is a pretty deep deficit for weighing at 240-ish. I’m targeting 2200 per day at 190-ish and losing 1-1.5 lb/week.

Ok I’m going to bump it up some and see what happens.

That’s a good idea. What macros are you going for? I did a transformation program a couple of years ago at a local gym and it was pretty good. I’ll post the pictures later in my log.

For the first 2 weeks they put my macros at effectively
1.2g protein per 1 lb body weight
0.6g fat per 1 lb body weight
0.5g carbs per 1 lb body weight
So at my weight (150lbs) that would be 1830 cals

Then after a few weeks the carbs went up to about 1g per lb body weight and fats came down to about 0.4g per lb.

But as I said, I’m no expert on the whys and wherefores. I just worked the figures back for ya.

It also looks like you’re going fairly fat heavy and carb light, are you aiming for Keto? I’m definitely no expert in that, I go for a fairly balanced protein/carb/fat split myself. As far as total calories, there are several good articles here on the main page, like this one Tip: Fat Loss and Muscle Retention . The biggest take-away that applies to you right now is to not drop below bodyweight x10 in calories/day. Lower than that and you’re likely depleting muscle, as well as fat.

Edit: That being said, don’t go too high if what you’re doing is working for you. I don’t want to make a suggestion that will torpedo the great progress you’re already making.

yeah I have been on keto for about 5 months which is why the fat is much greater than carbs in amount.

Tuesday 3/19

Bench day. Bench felt really solid today so instead of doing one joker set I did 3.

Bench Press - 135x5, 135x5, 150x3, 185x5, 210x3, 235x7, 245x1, 260x1, 275x1 (Current 1RM), 155 @ 5x10

2ct Pause Bench - 155 @ 5x10

DB Incline Bench - 5x10

Crunches 5x20

Wednesday 3/20

Wednesday is my day off from the main lifts. Today I did some bicep and tricep stuff. All supersets

DB Preacher Curl - 5x10
Tricep Reverse Curl - 5x10

Seated Curls - 5x10
Tricep Pulldown - 5x10

Barbell Curl - 5x10
Skullcrushers - 5x10

EZ Bar Preacher - 5x10
Overhead Extensions - 5x10

Banded DB Curl - 5x10
Face Pulls - 5x10

Going to go for a run later today. Still working on getting a new diet going so any suggestions are welcomed.

Have a read of this article

It is quite detailed and gives some figures you can calculate your requirements.

1 Like