5/3/1 + Squat Every Day

I really like squatting everyday (up to a heavy single - per Cory Gregory & others), but also like the 5/3/1 program for strength.

I’ve been thinking about mixing them together doing 5/3/1 BBB for only the Bench, OHP, and deadlift while squatting 5 days a week. It would look something like this:

MONDAY
Box jumps (5x5)
Squat
Bench (5/3/1)
OHP (5x10)
Pullup/Pushup/Abs circuit

TUESDAY
Box jumps (5x5)
Squat
Snatches (1x5)
Jerks (1x3)
Pushup/Pullup/Abs circuit

WEDNESDAY
Box jumps (5x5)
Squat
Deadlift (5/3/1)
RDL (5x10)

THURSDAY
Box jumps (5x5)
Squat
P.Clean (1x5)
Snatch grip high pull (1x3)

FRIDAY
Box jump (5x5)
Squat
Push Press (5/3/1)
Bench (5x10)

SATURDAY
Recovery Jog (3k)
Light squat (50% max)
Stretch (30+ mins)

Sunday
Recovery Job (3k)
Light squat (50% max)
Stretch (30+ mins)

I have been doing this type of program with high frequency for a while with good results and I enjoy it (not overtraining/burning out), I’m just curious as how to best fit in the bench, deadlift and push press with 5/3/1 for optimal strength gains on those lifts.

WAY TOO MUCH.

Why not just do the 5/3/1 High Frequency squatting template? Jim designed that to work.

If this is the case, why would you change anything you are currently doing?

1 Like

I’ve been doing the high frequency squats, oly lifts, and calisthetics but have been neglecting the bench, deadlift and press for the last few months and upper body strength has gone down. I’ve done 5/3/1 BBB in the past with good results but I get bored with the simple powerlifting routines by themselves. So, I know that 5/3/1 works, but want a way to fit it into my squatting/oly lifting routine

You can’t have everything at once. Squatting every day, and doing BBB for the other three lifts, plus olympic lifts? Good luck with that.

1 Like

You can sprint
You can run a marathon
But you can’t sprint a marathon.

1 Like

I say go for it. I’ve been squatting 3 times a week since December and, despite all the naysayers, I’m not over trained, I’ve increased my squat by 80lbs, and my legs haven’t fallen off.

People are waaay too sensitive about doing work imo. Do as much as you can - you’d be surprised how much you can handle.

Jason

I would agree with giving it a shot, but there’s a big difference between squatting 3 times a week and squatting 5-6 times a week. Will overtraining happen? Possibly and much more likely training like that, but go for it. Take a few weeks and see if you get run into the ground. If so back off. If not go three weeks and deload to prevent overtraining. Trial and error.

1 Like

Squatting 3 times a week vs. 5-6 will all come down to intelligent programming: inclusion of intensity-focused and volume-focused sessions will avoid overtraining.

Jason

That’s a great program, if you are a pro athlete on juice with a personal chef and a team of personal therapists/trainers.

For most people who have a family/job/life/drug free, this is insane.

1 Like

Running BBB for the deadlift alone will mess a program in which you’re squatting most days of the week. Most of those programs that have you squatting 5-6 days a week have little or no deadlifting in them.

didn’t see 5/3/1 More Squatting before this - exactly what I was looking for. Will be sticking to that and throwing in a barbell complex at the end to get my conditioning/oly lifting fix