225 x 8
275 x 3
305 x 3
345 x 3 - with a stall on the last rep!

Assistance Work
Steated Machine Leg Curls, 5 x 12
Step ups, 4 x 10 - This onemakes me puff like a steam engine
Hanging Leg Raises, 5 x 12

A good journeyman style training session. Although the stall on the last rep of squats was a bit, oh, let’s call it surprising! I never lowered the weight, but I did sorta freeze at the halfway point for several seconds… felt like several minutes! My spotter was right on me, but he let me grind it out. It was a check in the win column, but it was earned. It’s the next morning right now and damn, things are a bit tender!

Thursday, Dec 23/2010 - Month Three, Day 8, Military

Warmup - stationary bike, foam rolling and stretching

Military Press
MT bar x 12
95 x 8
140 x 3
160 x 3
180 x 5

Assistance Work
Lat Pulldowns, 5 x 12 - still trying to rehab the rib tear, just can’t manage chins!
Arnold Press, 5 x 10
Tricep Pressdowns, 5 x 15

Another journeyman style training session. Nice way to end the week before the required break for Christmas. The gym is closed for the next few days and I’m required to patrol the ski hills for the weekend… Heh, “required”, like it’s a real hardship! Happy Ho Ho!

Cheers…

Tuesday, Dec 28/2010 - Month Three, Day 9, Deadlifts

Deadlift
135 x 12
225 x 8
295 x 6
340 x 5
385 x 3
430 x 3
225 x 12

Assistance Work
GHRs, 5 x 12
Hack Squat, 5 x 10, worked up to 3 PPS
Hanging Leg Raise, 3 x 10
Ab Wheel, 3 x 10

Great workout! Especially surprising since the ski patrol weekend was extended. When the Gods of Powder gift you with a fresh foot or more, you don’t question it. You grin like a maniac and find any way you can to stay an extra day! And that’s just what we did… And yet, even after three days on my skis, I was still able to make my deadlift targets! I even managed to drop a few pounds during the festivities surrounding this time of year. More strength, less chunk and lots of snow… it’s a Christmas Miracle!

Wednesday, Dec 29/2010 - Month Three, Day 10, Bench

Warmup - stationary bike, foam rolling and stretching - the GF called me on my lack of stretching… I hate it when she’s right.

Bench
MT bar x 15
135 x 8
215 x 5
245 x 3
275 x 1.5 - first rep clean, second required assistance about 2 inches out of the hole
225 x 8

Assistance Work
BB Rows, 5 x 10, light - still pretty fatigued from last night’s deadlifts
DB Flat Press, 5 x 10
Skull Crushers, 5 x 10

Decided to change up my assistance work… Funny how I can get used to a certain pattern and not even realize it. So, BB Rows rather than DB Rows, Flat DBs rather than Incline DBs. Seemed to shock the system very effectively.

Oww…

Friday, Dec 31/2010 - Month Three, Day 11, Squat

Warmup - stationary bike, foam rolling and stretching.

Squat
135 x 12
225 x 8
285 x 5
325 x 3
365 x 1
225 x 10 - drop set

Assistance Work
Good Morning, 3 x 12 - just sorta ran outta steam here!
Hanging Leg Raises, 3 x 12
Ab Rollouts, 3 x 10

Not a spectacular success… I made my target lift on the squat, but that’s about it! Just not much in the tank. So, after a short rest and recharge, my GF and I went to attend a Latin New Year’s party to the wee hours… and paid dearly for it the next morning/afternoon! Not much drink, but lots of dancing, good times and not enough sleep.

Totally worth it!

Sunday, Jan 2/2011 - Month Three, Day 12, Military

Military Press
MT bar x 12
135 x 6
155 x 5
175 x 3
190 x 2

Assistance Work
Lat Pulldowns, 5 x 12 - still nursing some badly torn intercostals
Flat DB Press, 5 x 12 - speed-press style, 65 lbs done with rapid tempo
Tricep Pressdowns, 5 x 15

Pretty decent training session. Good response on all movements. Getting a little concerned about the torn rib/intercostals. It’s been over three weeks and it still pretty tender/weak. My training partner says I may have to rest it for proper recovery… but where’s the fun in that? There’s skiing to be had, training sessions to get done. It’s not that it’s getting worse, it’s just not getting much better. For now, I’ll continue to work around it. I really need to get back to pull-ups and my conditioning is only getting worse!

Tuesday, Jan 4/2011 - Month Three, Day 13, Deadlift

Ah, deload week… gotta say, feeling a little banged up and really looking forward to the deload. Wait, did I just say “looking forward to deload?”

Deadlift
135 x 12
185 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 18!

Assistance Work
GHRs, 5 x 12
Hack Squat, 5 x 10, 3 PPS
Hanging Leg Raise, 2 x 12

Pretty decent workout. Sorta ran out of steam near the end.

It’s January… and the gym is packed with mindless sheeple that have “resolved” to start working out. Just like every gym, every January! My gym has a dedicated lifting platform that is usally dominated by Oly lifters, Strongman trainers and Power-Lifters. Which is great. Today, it is swarmed by half rep heroes curling 40 lb barbells! One doufus was performing some kind of combination anterior shoulder raise and trap roll with a 15 lb barbell!? Seriously, who is teaching these kids this crap? I say kids, but these are actually young men, who should know better…

Maybe I’m getting old. At least these fools are off the damn couch. Most will be gone in few weeks and their membership fess will keep the lights on for the rest of the year! Who knows, maybe one or two of them will get bit by the iron-bug and start to ask questions… the may even begin to understand the “Riddle of Steel”

Thursday, Jan 6/2011 - Month Three, Day 14, Bench

Bench
MT Bar x 15
115 x 5
145 x 5
185 x 20 - was supposed to be 175 by the formula, but I was getting tired of the mucking about with the small change plates

Assistance Work
Pullups, 3 x 5, first successful reps since injuring my ribs last month
DB Rows, 4 x 10, worked up to 105s
Flat DB Press, 5 x 12, worked up to 70s
OH DB Tricep Extensions, 5 x 12, worked up to 85s

Real nice workout. Re-discovered an excellent way to shut out the January-ness of the gym. Turn up the MP3 player with what my GF calls “Angry Music!” Worked like a charm! Taking the weekend off the weights to head into the mountains for much skiing!

Tuesday, Jan 11/2011 - Month Three, Day 15, Squat

Warmup - stationary bike, foam rolling and stretching. After spending two days in the powder, this was very important!

Squat
MT Bar x 12
155 x 5
195 x 5
230 x 18 - This was a serious challenge!

Assistance Work
GHRs, 5 x 12
Hack Squats, 4 x 10, worked up to 3PPS
Ab Wheel, 3 x 8

Decent enough workout. Hit my target number, but kinda ran outta go-juice near the end. Sure, I skied all over the mountain for the entire weekend and didn’t get enough sleep and the gym is packed with “resolutionists”… but those are just excuses! I need to get more sleep, manage my outside the gym activities and simply ignore the January-ness!

Thursday, Jan 13/2011 - Month Three, Day 16, Military

Military Press
MT Bar x 12
85 x 5
105 x 5
125 x 15

Assistance Work
Pull-ups, 7 x 3-5
DB Shoulder Press, 5 x 10, 65 lbs
BB Rows, 5 x 12, 135 lbs
Tricep Pressdowns, 4 x 12-15

Shoulders are feeling pretty banged up… mostly due to insufficient rest and recovery, so I was a wee bit anxious about this training session. Got my target numbers and a little bit more, it’s all good. Note: Pull-ups are still a bit of a concern. I used various hand positions and tried for strict reps. When my form goes all crossfit/kips, I stop. I was struggling to get three reps… then I managed 5 on the last set! Very strange and inconsistent. I figure I still need to drop some more chunk!

So, Month 3 began on Dec 7 and was completed on Jan 13. That’s five and a half weeks to complete a four week program with 8 days on the mountain… an a little mid-winter festing. Not so bad! Sure I’m a little banged up, but my numbers continue the slow progressive climb, it was totally worth it. If I can manage my recovery a little better… the sky is the limit. Maybe some extra conditioning work would help me sleep? Looking forward to Month 4 already…

Tuesday, Jan 18/2011 - Month Four, Day 1, Deadlift

Feeling a little more beat up than is probably strictly necessary… so, I took four whole days off! It sucked, but I needed it. Or maybe I’m just getting old…

Deadlift
135 x 12
225 x 8
300 x 5
345 x 5
410 x 5 - whoops!
225 x 12

Okay… the gym was just packed and I got a little distracted when loading the bar! I was scheduled for a 400 but lost my ability to perform basic arithmetic… No worries, I had a fellow lifter checking my form and he seemed satisfied. And since he is a PLing judge, that’s good enough for me!

Assistance Work
GHRs, 5 x 12
Leg Press, 5 x 10, worked up to 8 PPS
Crunches, 4 x 20
DB Curls, 3 x 10… I was waiting for my GF!

And thus beginnith, Month 4 in the Cult of 5/3/1. Pretty satisfied with my progress, even with the addition of ski season. This will again be a slightly extended cycle to accomodate the aforementioned skiing, but it’s all good.

The goal remains the same… the BC Provincials in June.

Previous Bests; SQ - 475 (gym), BP - 347.5 (platform), DL - 515 (gym)
The targets are; SQ - 475, BP - 350, DL - 515, 1340 lb/608 kg total
The goals are; SQ - 500, BP 365, DL - 545, 1410 lb/640 kg total

And the new IPF weight categories mean that I’m right at the edge for the 120 kg category… it would be in my best interests to lower that prior to ramping up for the contest. Well, what’s life without a few challenges?

Thursday, Jan 20/2011 - Month Four, Day 2, Bench

Bench
MT bar x 15
135 x 12
190 x 5
220 x 5
250 x 5
205 x 8

Assistance Work
BB Rows, 5 x 12, worked up to 205 lbs
Flat DB Press, 5 x 10, 65 lbs
Tricep Press, 3 x 10

Good journeyman style training, nothing spectacular, just set my targets and get it done. Still dealing with a bit of tenderness in my right shoulder. Hauling a toboggan through heavy crud/snow with a large patient aboard is… challenging! I think I may have a deep tissue strain. Very annoying and requires a fair amount of vitamin I.

I only managed to fit in two workouts this week and I’m off to the mountains for patrol on the weekend. Looking forward to some fresh air, blue skies and lotsa fresh snow. And then getting my grind on next week for more workouts.

Tuesday, Jan 25/2011 - Month Four, Day 3, Squat

Squat
MT bar x 12
135 x 10
205 x 10
255 x 5
295 x 5
335 x 4 - ouch!
335 x 1

Felt a bit a twinge in the lower back/right hip on that 4th rep of the heavy set. Nothing too serious… but it was enough to make me careful! I racked, rested, then attempted the weight again… enough to know that I was done with squats for the night.

Assistance Work
GHRs, 5 x 12, wanted to stretch and pump up the lower back
Leg Press, 5 x 10, worked up to 6 PPS
Hanging Leg Raise, 3 x 15

Apparantely, a weekend of skiing and salsa is not conducive to squat performance, who knew? Okay, I knew… but salsa with my GF is, well, hot! And skiing for several hours, two days in a row, including some high level instruction to expand and refine technique is not something you turn down. So I’ll take the owwie, stretch, rest, recuop and come back even stronger…

I always do.

Thursday, Jan 27/2011 - Month Four, Day 4, Military Press

Military Press
MT bar x 12
140 x 5
160 x 5
185 x 5

Assistance Work
Pull ups, 8 x 5, most successful pull up series since tearing my ribs last month
Flat DB Press, 5 x 12, worked up to 75 lbs
Tricep Pushdowns, 5 x 15

An excellent, journeyman style workout, good performance all around. I have found that I really need to lower my workout volume if I expect some high performance training. It’s all good, cuz when I do, it works. Hell, I even sleep better!

Sunday, Jan 31/2011 - Month Four, Day 5, Deadlift

Deadlift
135 x 12
225 x 8
275 x 5
325 x 3
370 x 3
415 x 3
225 x 10, drop set

Assistance Work
GHRs, 5 x 12, added a 25 lb plate, held infront of my nose on sets 2, 3 and 4
Hack Squat, 5 x 10, worked up to 3.5 PPS
Leg Raises, 3 x 15
Crunches, 3 x 25

Sundays are just made for DLing!

Wednesday, Feb 2/2011 - Month Four, Day 6, Squat

I decided to switch up my workouts a little. Planning on a weekend on the mountains, so I took an extra rest day and swapped Squat day and Bench day… give my legs one extra nights sleep before skiing!

Squat
MT bar x 12, wobbly and tight, need to stretch more!
135 x 8
225 x 5
275 x 3
315 x 3
355 x 3
225 x 10, drop set

Assistance Work
GHRs, 5 x 12, added a 25 lb plate on sets 2 and 3, 35 lbs on sets 4 and 5
Leg Press, 5 x 12, worked up to 7 PPS, tried 8 PPS for set 6, managed 5 reps - probably a stoopid idea!
Leg Raises, 3 x 15
Crunches, 3 x 25

The gym was relatively empty! There was still lots of folks working out, but it is February! Happens every year… I had a very successful workout. Managed all my numbers with good form… of course the next morning… sucked. Also an indication of a good Squat workout!

Thursday, Feb 3/2011 - Month Four, Day 7, Bench

Bench
MT bar x 15
135 x 8
205 x 3
235 x 3
265 x 2.5
265 x 2
225 x 8, drop set

Apparantley, switching around my Squat and Bench days was a bad idea! My performance on my main lift was shockingly bad! I attempted some wide grip chins to work the antagonist muscles in an effort to fix the situation… but my posterior chain was fried.

Assistance Work
BB Rows, 5 x 12, only upto 185 lbs
Flat DB Press, 5 x 12, 70s and 80s
DB Tricep Extensions, 5 x 15, 80 lbs
Alternate DB Rows, 3 x 8

The best laid plans do not survive contact with the enemy! Maybe I should have added a day rest between workouts. Maybe I shoulda not switched the days around in the first place. Maybe I shoulda gotten more sleep. Maybe I shoulda rememberd to pack a lunch rather than indulging at the local lunch counter earlier in the day…

Maybe I should call it learning experience and move on… Skiing for the weekend!

Tuesday, Feb 8/2011 - Month Four, Day 8, Deadlift

This should be a Military Press session based on schedule. Dealing with a little shoulder soreness… so, I’ll give it a bye and segue right in to Deadlift. Pulls are my favourite anyhow!

Dead lift
135 x 12
225 x 8
295 x 5
345 x 5
395 x 3
440 x 1, raw PB!
225 x 10, drop set

Okay… that was just great! That was equal to my previous personal best with only a belt and chalk! Came up nice and steady, nice and easy. My training partner said I could have gone for more reps, but it probably made sense to leave a little in the tank

Assistance Work
Hamstring Curls, 5 x 15, upto 170 lbs
Lunges, 1 x 1, Knees are a little buggered from skiing on the weekend… decided to give it a miss!
Single Arm, Standing DB Press, 5 x 8, 60 lbs upto 70s
Leg Raises, 3 x 15
Crunches, 3 x 25

Yup… pretty darn happy with that workout!

Thursday, Feb 10/2011 - Month Four, Day 9, Bench

Bench
135 x 15
185 x 8
220 x 5
250 x 3
280 x 1
225 x 10, drop set

Needed a double clutch to get that heavy rep! According to my spotter, I managed about 2/3 of the rep, stalled for a half second, then finally powered up to lock out… Not perfect, but I’ll take it!

Assistance Work
DB Rows, 5 x 12, upto 120 lbs
Flat DB Press, 5 x 10, 65 lbs upto 75s
Tricep Pressdowns, 5 x 12-20

Another solid effort… Slowly closing in on a PB for the Bench Press. It doesn’t really need to be said, but the 5/3/1 program is pretty darn effective.

Wednesday, Feb 16/2011 - Month Four, Deload, Push Press and Deadlift

So… it’s been nearly a week since my last work out! Sure, I had a mid-term to write, wanted to spend some time with the GF this past weekend… And then I picked up either some kind of stomach virus or maybe food poisoning on Sunday! Not a great way to spend the evening… I had to take a day off work to recover. Something I just don’t do. First sick day in over two years…

Still, I survived. So, I’ll downshift a bit and get back at it. I decided to cut right into deload week.

OHP
MT bar x12
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 12 - that one put me to my knees!

Deadlift
135 x 8
185 x 5
235 x 5
285 x 12

Assistance Work
BB Rows, 5 x 12
Hack Squat, 5 x 10
Hanging Leg Raises, 5 x 12

Not a bad effort, all things considered. Maybe a day job, night school, 5/3/1 training and Ski Patrol is over doing it? No matter, just gonna put my head down and drive on through! Heading off to the mountain this weekend, so it’s all good!