5/3/1 since 2013

Dear Jim, I’m doing 5/3/1 now since 2013 and just want to share what happened in these 3 years:

I’m 35 years old, have a family an two little children an a full time job - guess, what my priorities in life are… One further priority since 2013 is training 5/3/1 - I made some progress in all four lifts, sometimes stalling, sometimes stalling for a longer period sometimes making gains again. A few weeks ago I once looked around in my “commercial gym” an reckognized, that I was the strongest guy training that day. And honestly, since then, there was not one day on which somebody stronger than me was training whenever I trained. I won’t say that I am strong compared to really strong guys but when I look back, I never was that strong before. Since November, I follow the “Wendler diet” and lost 25 pounds with just eating more of the right food an less of the “wrong” things. Next goal ist to do the “Agile 8” regularly. Yes, it is all about “habits”.
Thanks.

2 Likes

I really like to read this kind of topics from time to time. It´s very motivating.
At the moment I’m not able to train, because of a meniscus surgery, but I’m looking forward to get back on the 5/3/1 train again, leading to the form of my life.
What did your plan look like in the past years?

Two and a half year i just did the “5/3/1” version of the original book switching between BBB an the one inspired by Tate’s “Periodization Bible” Schedule. Some months ago I started following the 28 week 5/3/1 schedule in the “Beyond Book” with deloading every 6 weeks an using different templates (FSL…) as outlined in the book. Get well an back in the weightroom soon!

Peter,

I love hearing stories like this - it sounds like you “got it” in regards to success for training. And I’m sure you are a better person for it.

All credit goes to YOU for the effort. I’m sincerely happy for you.

1 Like