T Nation

5/3/1 Questions...

Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but I know Boss and a few others have mentioned they’ve used the 5/3/1 strength training program.

My question is this:

How do you set up reps and sets?

I’ve read that you do 3 sets of 5 for the first week, 3 x 3 the next, and then a week of rep out. Is this right? Doesn’t seem like it would be enough. Can someone help me?

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but I know Boss and a few others have mentioned they’ve used the 5/3/1 strength training program.

My question is this:

How do you set up reps and sets?

I’ve read that you do 3 sets of 5 for the first week, 3 x 3 the next, and then a week of rep out. Is this right? Doesn’t seem like it would be enough. Can someone help me?[/quote]

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&pid=2976

worth buying… I think there is an article somewhere on tnation as well that gives an ok summary

Newest muscle&fiction has it also.

Not to encourage piracy because it’s definitely worth buying…

But with a little looking around you can find it on the net for free

that’s the T-Nation article on it.

its 3x5, 3x3, 5/3/1 then a deload. max reps on last sets, except for the deload.

yo Kid the e-book is worth every penny.

it will help you layout- your week, and gives some really good insight on programming.

I might buy the book, I’ll have to see after new tires and gym fees. Hope to be back to training soon, thought I could use the new program to gain some mass in the time between. Thanks guys.

KMC, what’s new man?

Anyone do anything interesting with the 5/3/1 for MMA/combat sports in general? Seems like a good way of increasing strength with plenty of flexibility for mma oriented strength and conditioning.

[quote]Ski_USMC wrote:
Anyone do anything interesting with the 5/3/1 for MMA/combat sports in general? Seems like a good way of increasing strength with plenty of flexibility for mma oriented strength and conditioning.[/quote]

I grapple 6 days a week and do 5/3/1 4 days a week… haven’t had problems yet. I’m in college in a city I hate… so I have plenty of time to train etc… no distractions other then school work. So it could be easier for me then others to fit it all in.

What is your assistance template like for the most part?

[quote]Ski_USMC wrote:
What is your assistance template like for the most part?[/quote]

haha… wrong person to ask. I suck when it comes to assistance work… I do a whole bunch of extra stuff just because I enjoy being in the gym… its my stress relief. Half the things I do aren’t necessarily productive either and very little stays consistent.

bench/overhead press days I do a bunch of chin/pull up variations, some sort of row(bb,db), and some type of press for triceps or push downs… that’s what stays consistent for the most part… anything else will vary from week to week.

On Squat days I do Olympic squats for assistance work, some good mornings, leg curls, ab work if I feel like it, and neck work… anything else will vary from week to week.

Deadlift days I do leg press, leg curls, couple sets of skater squats, shrugs, and grip work… anything else will vary from week to week.

when I say I do a lot of extra stuff… I’ve gotten up to 8 assistance exercises on some days. Believe me I know it sucks… But I enjoy it and it hasn’t damaged my main lifts so far.

I’m doing 531/trivirate (sp?) using perfect reps. Basically, lower the 1RM a bit and make sure that last set is explosive. As soon as my speed slows down and I have to grind the weight up, the set is over. I’m getting a lot stronger, every day is a new PR even if its only 5lbs.

I’m bulking right now so I’ve had to cut my cardio way down and of course my abs have smoothed out, but I’m a lot stronger. If you are thinking about 531 for strength in mma, it will work. I have much more power in my striking and grappling but my gas tank runs out a lot faster, which was expected.

I’ve gained about 20lbs, hopefully mostly lean mass, since the beginning of the year. I plan on doing 2 more cycles and then lean out again to 185lbs, then re-evaluate on my next move. But really…even if you cant acquire the material, a lot of people are on 531 and post their logs. I’m sure you can put the program together if you look hard enough.

Im thinking about doing 5/3/1 with about 4-6 rds of complex/tabata type stuff for the assistance work. Since Im trying to cut weight for boxing does anyone see this hindering my efforts in anyway? I figured the 5/3/1 would help preserve as much strength as possible while getting conditioning and fat-burning effect from the assistance work

admbaum, I like ur idea of lowering the 1 rep max for more explosiveness, I think im gonna try that out when I calculate my numbers, as well as ending sets when form and speed go to hell.

I find that the percentages used in 5/3/1 still allow pretty high acceleration except for the last set in week three, may be just me though.

I was thinking for the assistance work do supersets of whatever exercises you choose to maintain a conditioning emphasis. Like

(A1,A2)Overhead unilateral dumbbell press-
3-8 repetitions each side
(A3) pull ups or unilateral unbraced dumbbell rows
3-12 repetitions

for four to five rounds with as little rest as possible ending with
(B1) push-ups AMRAP
(B2) face-pulls AMRAP

(C1)Zottman curls
8-16
2-5 sets

Or if your arms/forearms are exceptionally weak then do without the finishers and go with supersetted arm work. None of it has to look pretty but do it well.

Use fat gripz if you have them, even on presses as well as pulls. Kettlebells should be cycled in just maintain quality presses.

Best thing to do is buy the manuel. It has all the info you need and cost twenty bucks. I bought it and use it for my football team great results.

Best thing to do is buy the manuel. It has all the info you need and cost twenty bucks. I bought it and use it for my football team great results.