5/3/1 Question

Your bench number seems about right.
On week 1 of bench with the 5+ I got 10 and I based it on my true 1RM.

As far as your deadlift your guesstimating was way off. I based DL max on true 1RM.
Round 1 Week 1 5+ I got 8 pulls and Round 2 week 1 5+ which I did yesterday I got 10 pulls.

Which was more reps with more weight so I am really happy with results on this program so
far. It seems to really be working for squats and deadlifts but it may be too early
to really see improvements in bench and shoulder pressing as it is difficult for me to make
progress in those exercises.

As far as your 24 deadlifts that would be considered cardio.
Your spine is not going to be feeling very good next day.
It would be really hard to do 24 reps with good form.
Before I did 5/3/1 on my last sets of squats I would always
drop it down to 225 and do 20+ reps for a set than I read this
article on here that something along the lines of “you may think
your sets of 20+ on squats are 2 legit 2 quit but really they
are retarded”.

I would suggest actually testing your 1 RM and starting over.
It can go something like this say that you think you can pull 315 for one rep.
115 x 5
165 x 5
225 x 3
265 x 1
285 x 1
300 x 1
315 x 1

You get the idea keep going up until you fail. With deadlifts you will probably
surprise yourself especially since you have not been doing them consistently for a while.

I am a newb 5/3/1’er as well we should keep each other updated on progress we make.

I made the decision to skip the deload after the first round
as I have been eating and sleeping really good lately.
I hope I don’t regret it.

[quote]MickyGee wrote:
I might as well just tack my question on here… I am a novice to lifting and just started 5/3/1 this week…

I didn’t test my 1RM b/c I wanted a smooth transition from the bodybuilding I was running up until last week and it was sort of a last minute decision due to a need for a change of pace…

I based my bench off the closest thing I had (6RM slight decline bench), military press off pre-exhausted BTN press (5RM), squat off pre-exhausted squat (6RM) and I figured extrapolating on all these I should be roughly in the neighborhood (esp. with the 10% deduction)…

My first day flat benching in about a half a year I think, I got 10 reps (so +5), but Wednesday I set my deadlift to 250 (most I’ve ever lifted off floor b/c I only deadlifted for about a month when I started about a year ago and quickly removed them when I realized how easily I progressed on them under the logic that I should just focus on squat and my DL would go up - my squat was a lot worse off - granted I could lift 250lbs fairly easily, but I didn’t want to guesstimate seeing as how that much that is stressed against) and ended up with 190 on my topmost working set (which was 24 reps, or +19, and at that point I just stopped b/c it seemed pointless to keep grinding out more)…

Should I reset this, did I fuckup, will this fix in time?

I don’t mind being patient seeing as Wendler seems to advocate even starting lighter or using smaller weight jumps to plateau less… but I feel like my other two work sets (which aren’t taken to failure) are going to be so far off that they aren’t really worksets…

At any rate, some good advice would be appreciated… thanks

Edit: I know this is sorta along lines of original post… it’s just that I feel like my DL will shoot up now that I am doing them, when I get my technique down, and that 24rep top set was nowhere near close to failure - seems off compared to other peoples first week…

OP’s question was 5 extra reps on his third week, so I don’t know though… maybe over thinking this
[/quote]

Wait, you seriously hit 24 reps?? YES, RESET! RESET BIG TIME! That’s friggin’ aerobics!

[quote]MickyGee wrote:
… ended up with 190 on my topmost working set (which was 24 reps, or +19, and at that point I just stopped b/c it seemed pointless to keep grinding out more)…

[/quote]

If you had 14, I would say that seems perfectly normal and stay the course, but 24 does seem excessive so congrats for being the first case I have seen that I think will get a general approval to reset higher now.

lol… do I just reset for deadlift or all lifts… how do I fix this… do I have to wait till the end of first cycle and just throw 100 on my max haha

[quote]black_angus1 wrote:
Wait, you used wraps for the deadlift, but not your squat?

Que?[/quote]

Everyone in this thread is retarded and are using straps and wraps interchangeably, even though they’re not at all the same thing…OP means straps, and refuses to move north of vagina and is insisting he can’t lift without them…

[quote]thefreshmanverve wrote:
Good point, if I decide to ditch the straps I will need to retest my raw 1RM DL;
the 425 was with wraps.(and a very loud groan)

I’m still not thoroughly convinced that I should though.

Based on what I understand of the provided information it’s important for grip stength
to use in competition and I won’t even think about competing at least not for another couple
years of solid training.

The way I am doing it now is that I am using double overhand on my warm up sets;
once i get over 275 I use inverted grip. I don’t use wraps until the max
effort set.

Some changes I will make from now on are no more wraps on dumbbell shrugs or
one-arm dumbbell dead stops during assistance work. That should help my hands get used
to holding onto some weight without the extra support.

In summary, I cannot bring myself not to pull out the straps on the last set of pulling
but due to grip stength being on my conscious now I will make adjustments regarding
strap use throughout assistance training.

[/quote]

Just buy some friggin’ chalk. You’ll never worry about grip strength again.

there are many plausible scenarios to fix your little dilemma…

now you said in your previous posts that you haven’t deadlifted in a while

if I was in your place one way to take care of it would be to not do 5/3/1
for deadlifts during your first round.

Instead during this time on deadlift day for weeks 1 and 2 I would ease my way
back into deadlifting by working my way up to say 2 working sets of 4-5 not max
effort.

On deadlift day of week 3 i would find out what my max deadlift is using a plan
similar to one previously outlined.

Based on your #'s your bench seems to be within reason. If you want to find out
if your estimated 1RM for squat and shoulder press are reasonable look at how many
reps you are getting for your max effort sets.

What are your goals? What are you trying to get out the program?

I am trying to slowly and cleanly bulk to ~ 195-200 (I’m 180-185 right now)
by New Years than go on a slow cut(~ 2 lbs a week) still using the program but maybe
adding 2.5 lbs to each lift a week or not adding anything at all to get to a lean 170
by next summer.

We can help keep each other on track.

Great progress on squat rep PR’s.
More so that I would have ever thought of.
Round 1 week 1 295 X 10
Round 2 week 1 305 X 15

Good point, if I decide to ditch the straps I will need to retest my raw 1RM DL;
the 425 was with wraps.(and a very loud groan)

I’m still not thoroughly convinced that I should though.

Based on what I understand of the provided information it’s important for grip stength
to use in competition and I won’t even think about competing at least not for another couple
years of solid training.

The way I am doing it now is that I am using double overhand on my warm up sets;
once i get over 275 I use inverted grip. I don’t use wraps until the max
effort set.

I have never used straps for DL, I used to use them for heavy shrugs, once I ditched them my grip improved (I still use the over under grip for shrugs) I ended up being able to shrug with weight in excess of my DL. I became an anti-strap guy for many years, however I now will use them for certain exercises (in particular heavy BB rows) but not for DL, Shrug or DB rows.

My first cycle I hit MP/10/13/10; DL/13/13/11; BP/15/14/12; SQ/11/10/9 and I went for 16 cycles before re-setting.

Some changes I will make from now on are no more wraps on dumbbell shrugs or
one-arm dumbbell dead stops during assistance work. That should help my hands get used
to holding onto some weight without the extra support.

In summary, I cannot bring myself not to pull out the straps on the last set of pulling
but due to grip stength being on my conscious now I will make adjustments regarding
strap use throughout assistance training.

[/quote]

With the help of everyone’s advice I decided to not be a vagina today
and to go wrap-less(I mean strapless) on week 2 of 2nd round of DL day.

The gym was quiet tonight there was no staff in the weight room so I decided
to use actual chalk instead of liquid chalk.

What a difference.

I did 355 X 8 my legs/back gave out before my grip did.
On the last rep I was actually able to hold the lockout position for about
7 seconds or so before descending.

I’ve been yelled at the gym many times for taking my shoes off so management
already don’t like me. I’ve been too lazy to buy a pair of chucks.
I will try to get away with using chalk and I hope
I can continue to do so. I live in a very small town and the next gym is miles
away.

At the end of my assistance when I was doing DB one-arm deadstops strapless I used
a little bit of chalk but damn did it hurt. I got ~ 5 reps less that I typically
get with the 130’s but it’s ok because I had this overwhelming sense of accomplishment
when I left the gym today with the straps still in my bag untouched.

So for the guy that said just get some friggin’ chalk you were right on.

What a difference.

Have a small homemade chalk sock for each pocket and chalk up like that. Or go to the bathroom to chalk up. If someone gives you shit about your white hands, tell them you have a skin condition lol. You can make a decent one with dress socks.

away.

At the end of my assistance when I was doing DB one-arm deadstops strapless I used
a little bit of chalk but damn did it hurt. I got ~ 5 reps less that I typically
get with the 130’s but it’s ok because I had this overwhelming sense of accomplishment

[/quote]

What a difference.

away.

[/quote]

The gym I work at doesn’t officially allow chalk. Since I work there I let people use it, and personally congratulate them for doing so, just as long as they wipe off the bar afterwards (this works extremely well and fast with a regular towel.

Chalk is awesome. Get used to it, you’ll get stronger for it. My last PR was done without. No starps, no chalk (but that does depend on the bar you use. We have Eleiko’s). I was a happy boy.

ditch the straps. your grip will quickly catch up to the rest of your body. back when i had a vagina and used straps i hit 505 for a single. but 2 months ago i ditched the straps and it fell to 425. just last friday I pulled 475x1. so it catches up fast

I’m pleased both that you ditched the straps and that you experienced a feeling of accomplishment and ‘rightness’ by doing so. Kudos sir. :slight_smile:

Keeping with the prescribed program seems to be the consensus so I will go along with that.

About losing the wraps, the gym I go to doesn’t allow chalk so I purchased
liquid chalk which seems to be an adequate substitute.

On week 2 of 5/3/1 on max effort set I was able to pull 345 x 5 without the
wraps which is obviously less weight along with less reps than I did on week 3.

If my grip gives out before my legs/back do would I not be shortchanging myself on making
potential gains by not using wraps?

I’ve heard time and time again that it’s more beneficial to not use wraps but I really don’t understand the idea behind it I guess I would say.(unless you are training to compete where they don’t allow you to use wraps) Without really understanding why my above statement in previous paragraph does not hold true(im not saying it is i know it’s not but don’t know why) it is hard for me to keep my ego in check in the weight room and pull less without the wraps. It is easy for me to do that for other exercises where the reasoning for not doing them in a certain way where you lift more but sacrifice safety/benefit etc.[/quote]

Your grip strength is important in all facets of being great. If you do not want to be great, use straps and excuses. Unless you are injured, ditch the straps.

[quote]MickyGee wrote:
I might as well just tack my question on here… I am a novice to lifting and just started 5/3/1 this week…

I didn’t test my 1RM b/c I wanted a smooth transition from the bodybuilding I was running up until last week and it was sort of a last minute decision due to a need for a change of pace…

I based my bench off the closest thing I had (6RM slight decline bench), military press off pre-exhausted BTN press (5RM), squat off pre-exhausted squat (6RM) and I figured extrapolating on all these I should be roughly in the neighborhood (esp. with the 10% deduction)…

My first day flat benching in about a half a year I think, I got 10 reps (so +5), but Wednesday I set my deadlift to 250 (most I’ve ever lifted off floor b/c I only deadlifted for about a month when I started about a year ago and quickly removed them when I realized how easily I progressed on them under the logic that I should just focus on squat and my DL would go up - my squat was a lot worse off - granted I could lift 250lbs fairly easily, but I didn’t want to guesstimate seeing as how that much that is stressed against) and ended up with 190 on my topmost working set (which was 24 reps, or +19, and at that point I just stopped b/c it seemed pointless to keep grinding out more)…

I don’t mind being patient seeing as Wendler seems to advocate even starting lighter or using smaller weight jumps to plateau less… but I feel like my other two work sets (which aren’t taken to failure) are going to be so far off that they aren’t really worksets…

At any rate, some good advice would be appreciated… thanks

Edit: I know this is sorta along lines of original post… it’s just that I feel like my DL will shoot up now that I am doing them, when I get my technique down, and that 24rep top set was nowhere near close to failure - seems off compared to other peoples first week…

OP’s question was 5 extra reps on his third week, so I don’t know though… maybe over thinking this
[/quote]

And the answer is…“I didn’t test my 1RM…”