T Nation

5/3/1 Question

So I have a question about 5/3/1..sorry if it's redundant.

I just finished my SS progress, been on this routine for a year now and I felt like it was time for a change. Here's the 5/3/1 program I came up with:

Day 1: Shoulders and Biceps
Standing Military Press 5/3/1
DB Seated Press 4 x12
Side Laterals/Rear Laterals 4 x12
Weighted Chin ups 5x5
Preacher Curls 4 x10 ( I wouldn't mind if someone would give me some other exercise that they feel would be more effective than these).

Day 2: Back
Deadlift 5/3/1
Bent Over Rows â?? 4 x12
Weighted Pull ups 5x5
Good Mornings 4 x10
Hanging Leg Raises 4 x12

Day 3: Chest and Triceps
Bench Press 5/3/1
Weighted Dips 5x5
Triceps Pushdowns 5 x 20
Push ups 4 sets to failure

Day 4: Legs and Abs
Squat 5/3/1
Leg Press 5 x 15
Leg Curls 5 x 15
SLDL 4x12
Some ab exercise

My goal is to get stronger on my big 4 while still gaining considerable size. Do you think this layout would work assuming I supplement it with the right diet and rest?

And also, I'm not exactly sure how to go about this calculation...
I'm going to start off the program with my squat 1rm being 345. My ultimate goal was to be able to squat 405lb by the end of June.

Could anyone tell me, assuming I would start next monday, when I'll be squatting 405lb x5?

Why are you doing chin ups on shoulder and biceps day?
Seated db press after standing military press is completely unnecessary. Theyre the same thing. Add something for rear delts.

Dont expect much pec growth just by doing a few sets of bench press. Dips are ok. Should include some incline pressing and fly type movements.

SImply not enough volume unless you are taking 0 days of rest.

And the rep schemes are completely fucked. It looks like you pulled them out of thin air with no rhyme or reason

Its not an ideal program for bodybuilding by any means.

Truth is I never followed any kind of split so this program leaves me puzzled when it comes to choosing exercises.

This template I took off this forum and didn't question here I just made adjustments such as subbing curls for chin ups and such.

It can be found right here

bunch of typical 5/3/1 questions

OT: you'd be surprised how many people believe a chin/pull up is a shoulder exercise lol

I'm not saying it's a shoulder exercise it's just how I found it, if you look in the link the guy gave above I'm pretty sure it says the same thing

Right there

''5. How to increase your pulling (back) volume?

* Do one set of pulling between EVERY PUSHING MOVEMENT â?? even the warm-ups and work sets. I do 50 chin ups before I even touch a barbell in the weight room. And then sets of 10 between every set that I do, including all warm-ups and work sets.''

I have no idea what that means

Chin up are a back exercise. They belong on the day you train your back. Shoulders and triceps definitely isnt that day.

Understand that you're posting in a bodybuilding forum. So, if you are going to do 5/3/1 and ask about it here, you're going to get answers that refer to your post in the context of a bodypart split. Jim Wendler does not train for bodybuilding. He trains a main movement and assistance lifts to help that movement, hence all the chins on the same day as overhead pressing.

So, if you want to do 5/3/1 for bodybuilding, that's not an ideal way to train. If you want 5/3/1 to make your lifts go up, go to a different forum, maybe powerlifting or something. I don't mean that in a "piss off" way, but your question won't be answered how you want it, here. Honestly, have you read the book or did you just piece it together from articles and forum posts? It seems like people who piece it together have problems with this shit and people who've read the book actually understand what 5/3/1 is and are able to put together a program without fucking up horribly.

Seconded. The program as presented by Jim is fall-off-a-log simple, precisely to counter the people who try to find all sorts of complicated routines to keep from having to lift heavy weights.

Buy the book, follow the program, and lift more than you post.

That is not 5/3/1 with bodybuilding assistance exercises....that is a powerlifting model.

Did you buy the book?

Jim just fucking laid out a bodybuilding template in an article on this website...christ on a cracker.

Wendler was right even when you give 99% of the program people focus on the 1%. Just do the bodybuilding split he outlined in his lastest article. And by the way using an upper/lower split with 531 will also help you gain "considerable size".

I just finished the 5/3/1 book and I think it is a good basic program that can be continued for a long time. Jim gives you the option to change the accessory exercises to fit your goals as they change and work on your weaknesses. I think the progam takes out a lot of variables that people get hung up on and if they put in a good honest workout, progress will be made. Of course, as you develop and build a good solid base, you might want to make some changes, but I think most people give up on basic programs like this due to impatience and jump on the next routine that they read in a article. I would recommend this program.