T Nation

5/3/1 Program Suggestions

2 weeks from now im going to be starting 5/3/1
Im thinking of setting up my week like this [ i replaced squats with power cleans ]

(** depends on the week)
Monday-
`Bench 3x5(**)

• [DB incline, BB incline, ] 4x6
  • [Pec flyes, Wieghted dips] 4x6
    Tuesday-
    `Power Clean 3x5(**)
  • [DB rows, Chins] 4x6
  • Pull ups 4x6
    Thursday-
    `Behind the neck press 3x5(**)
  • [Standing DB press, Upright rows] 4x6
  • Tricep Aux. 4x6
    Friday-
    `Deadlift 3x5(**)
  • [Straight leg Dead, Lunges] 3x4
  • Abs w/ weight 4x6

– On every rep i will be focusing on CT’s “Perfect Rep” with a 2/0/X rep count.

Advise me about how my workout week is set up, give me some good assistance

exercises. I use the 4x6 cause It has enough reps to fully stimulate the muscles, yet prevents

me from going really light on assistance as with the 5x10. I am looking to STRENGTH=SIZE

it comes to gains.

Have you actually read the 531 book? Are you really replacing Squats with power clean?? Squats are the keystone in any program and especially this one. Deadlifts do not replace the loading of squats. If any thing the reverse.

I’d love to see what pec flies for 4x6 look like IRL.

I Rx. actually reading the 531 book and following 1 of wendlers TESTED protocols as opposed to some stuff you made up. Not that you cant make up great training plans but i find it helps to get some previously made one under your belt first so you know what one feels and looks like. Yours does not look anywhere near optimal. 4x6 for every assistance lift is gonna suck. after 2 weeks of that you’re going to be doing some tight rethinking.

-chris

“If you want to see the results of 5/3/1, you have to do the program as written. As soon as you start customizing it, it’s no longer 5/3/1. You might like your own version of it better than Wendler’s original, but you can’t attribute your success or failure to the guy who wrote the program unless you’re actually doing the program as he wrote it”

Why are you not doing a powerlifting routine and NOT doing squats?

Read: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

it sucks

FYI: when i do CLEANS, i usually will drop under it, making me do a full range front SQUAT.

and i have done sets of 10 for things and it NEVER helped me get big or strong.

ANY OTHER suddgestions besides 5x10??

i found that 5x10 didnt help with any push movements, but they’re effective on pulling movements (not deads) for me. how about 5x5 ramping or straight sets, or re-read the book

I was thinking of basing it around 5x5 ramping up. But i think imma go with total reps too. Total=25

5x5 with exercises like DB incline, Dips, Shoulder presses and anything with weights. But I will still get

25 reps even if i miss a rep or something.

I BLAME BASEBALL AND BASKETBALL that i have played since i was a little kid for making my right arm bigger

and much stronger than my left. Because of that I feel when i do bench my body kinda moves so that my right

shoulder and arm take most the weight off my pec during the motion, thus i cant feel stimulation. same thing

with pull ups and rows, the right arm dominance makes it so i cant seem to feel the back no matter how hard i

squeeze it.

The ONLY way i feel My RIGHT PEC and RIGHT side of MY BACK is if I do something extremely light, like a push

up, or and isometric contraction… :confused:

It makes my growth uneven and my GAINS STOP I BELIEVE, cause of the imbalance I cant seem to help.

ANYONE help me with this before i start this program???

Ive used overhead squats in 5/3/1

And search for shoulder savers on here.

[quote]Clevelands23 wrote:
FYI: when i do CLEANS, i usually will drop under it, making me do a full range front SQUAT.

and i have done sets of 10 for things and it NEVER helped me get big or strong.

ANY OTHER suddgestions besides 5x10??[/quote]
If you want to do cleans, do them as a warm up to the squats. You can’t replay squats with power cleans, it’s just not the same amount of weight, even if you do a full range front squat. For example, I can front squat 285 without to much trouble, but I can’t power clean anywhere near that much. The discrepancy is even greater for back squats. Also, if you’re relying on the accessory work to help you get big or strong, you’re kind of missing the point. Seriously though, drop the cash to read the book, pick an accessory template you like, and stick with it for a month or two, then tweak as needed. It’ll give you much better results then trying to come up with something from scratch.

I beleive that i FINALLY found the problem with my right pec and back. I do notice a rotation of my body when i

do pushups.

Serratus Anterior is what was the problem, i did a few exercises to help it and it felt really weird, but in a

good way and i could tell the difference between each side.

Next week when i start this program, im gonna take creatine along with my +200 calorie a week diet.

I want to only add 200 calories a week so it minimizes the fat gain.

Just got my name put up on the record board. 315 parallel squat

Just got my name put up on the record board. 315 parallel squat[/quote]
lol at the Stalker Brothers.

Next week when i start this program, im gonna take creatine along with my +200 calorie a week diet.

I want to only add 200 calories a week so it minimizes the fat gain.[/quote]

Just eat like Jim states in the book. It works. If you’re getting a little soft- do some more hill sprints or sled work. What weight do you want to get to?

Id like to get like 150- 155 with about 8% bf.

Im doing push ups pluses, and other shoulder exercises. i noticed that in all of them in my right shoulder i feel a pinch. Im also taking glucosamine cause i have that weird crackling pop that sometimes hurts in the middle of my chest.

You have yet to answer the million dollar question: Have you read the ebook? Have you even looked around the internet for the wealth of information that Jim has already put out on 5/3/1 for free? Because that program you posted is not 5/3/1, it is your own variation of Jim’s program. Shit, the program you posted may work for you…throwing logs around your backyard in coveralls for hours may also work for you…but don’t call it 5/3/1.