T Nation

5/3/1 or HIT for Goals?

I wanted to know if 5/3/1 or an HIT routine would be an optimal workout plan for my goals. I want to bulk up and gain size (about 20 lbs of muscle) but not necessarily be “huge”.

Weight: 175
Height: 6’0
Bf% : 14-16%

As you can assume, I’m more long and lean and I wanted to put on muscle. I’ve done research and the two workout plans that I’d probably stay most consistent with would either be HIT or 5/3/1 but I didn’t know which one would be optimal for size gains. I’ve done a lot of study on nutrition and supplementation so I have a lot of that covered, just wanted some advice. I’ve seen some people recommend 5/3/1 for beginners to bulk but it just seems like a strength training program and doesn’t seem optimal for growth but I could definitely be wrong. I know some people may be against HIT but it works best for my schedule and preferences. Thanks for the help.

I would highly recommend Westside For Skinny Bastards(WS4SB) by Joe DeFranco.

5/3/1 is a great strength programme and you sure can put weight on while doing it but I feel that the novice gains can be utilised better on programmes with a faster progression rate. I think that the quick gains in strength you will experience in the first few months of training would be better suited to a programme based on such.
While I love 5/3/1(I’m on it now myself), I just wouldn’t recommend it for beginners.
Others may disagree though

Just do a program you like and you’ll stick with. If you want to do 5-3-1 use the boring but big assistance work and do 3 week cycles so you’re skipping the deload.

[quote]qirard wrote:
Just do a program you like and you’ll stick with. If you want to do 5-3-1 use the boring but big assistance work and do 3 week cycles so you’re skipping the deload.[/quote]

This is true as long as you pick a program that makes sense and fits your objectives.

With that said, I do not recommend HIT. I’ve been around HIT coaches and have done it myself, and found it to be a big waste of time for the most part.

[quote]HisTemple wrote:
I wanted to know if 5/3/1 or an HIT routine would be an optimal workout plan for my goals. I want to bulk up and gain size (about 20 lbs of muscle) but not necessarily be “huge”.

Weight: 175
Height: 6’0
Bf% : 14-16%

As you can assume, I’m more long and lean and I wanted to put on muscle. I’ve done research and the two workout plans that I’d probably stay most consistent with would either be HIT or 5/3/1 but I didn’t know which one would be optimal for size gains. I’ve done a lot of study on nutrition and supplementation so I have a lot of that covered, just wanted some advice. I’ve seen some people recommend 5/3/1 for beginners to bulk but it just seems like a strength training program and doesn’t seem optimal for growth but I could definitely be wrong. I know some people may be against HIT but it works best for my schedule and preferences. Thanks for the help.[/quote]

i’d say 5/3/1, but even more important than the program you pick is to be consistent with it.
consistency is key, especially for beginners. at a beginner stage, strength increases which you’ll see alot in 5/3/1 will create growth. stronger muscle=bigger muscle (the exceptions are elite strength athletes) .If you go from deadlifting 135 to 225, you’ll grow.

you say HIT is best for you’re preferences, that’s fine. if you decide to do HIT, remember to bust you’re ass.

*make sure to eat too, or it doesn’t matter what you do.

5/3/1