5,3,1 Only Twice a Week

Hi guys i’ve been lifting for about 2 years now and have just done 3 cycles of 5,3,1 everything is going well improving strength and size, but i recently got a new job and now only have time to make it to the gym twice a week! Just wondering if anyone one has used the 5,3,1 program in a similar situation and if its worth sticking to 5,3,1 or changing to another plan with more volume involved???

P.S i know 5,3,1 is a great plan, i’m just not sure if i’ll see similar results if only using it twice a week.

Thanks in advance for any tips or knowledge

this past autumn/early winter I got incredibly busy with work and side jobs . 55 to 65 hour weeks . I dropped down to lifting twice a week , and my numbers did indeed improve each cycle . Im 47 if that matters at all .

the holidays threw me off a bit , but currently aiming to get thru a wave every 10 days/ish . for some reason 531 trashes my lower back , so when it’s good to go…I go .

If you stick to 5/3/1 there may be a few options on how to modify it, how this is done is up to you and may depend on which 2 days you can make it to the gym.

1. Run the normal program for 6 weeks doing 2 lifts per week. Skip deload

2. Combine 2 days at once so you do 4 lifts per week, keep deload

3. Combine 2 days but do the other 2 on their own day for 3 lifts per week, 4 weeks total + 5th week deload.

If your stuck going 2 days in a row I would probably do #1 but if your gym days are spread out the other choices will work too. I am not really aware of any programs that are made for 2 days a week, others would have to be modified also, so with that in mind 5/3/1 is probably just as good as anything else for your schedule.

Just use the template out of the book.

Day 1
Squat,Bench, 2-3 assistance lifts

Day 2
Deadlift,Military 2-3 assistance lifts

Lifting two days a week you shouldn’t need to deload

Day 1

Day 2

If it’s working for you why suddenly change to a different program? Try it out, see if it works move on if it doesn’t.

[quote]steeljunkie wrote:

Day 1

Day 2

If it’s working for you why suddenly change to a different program? Try it out, see if it works move on if it doesn’t.[/quote]

this

[quote]steeljunkie wrote:

Day 1

Day 2

Lifting two days a week you shouldn’t need to deload[/quote]

Worked for me and I deloaded, I think the other twice a week routine is more suited to deload, after all this routine has you doing all 4 lifts in the one week as does the 4 days a week.

Cheers guys it works out that i’ll be going to the gym Monday and thursday nights, so looks like i’m gonna do 2 lifts each session and probably keep the de-load. Also i’ve started to get lower back pain randomly when i’m doing a heavy lift program, i’ve been told that i have good technique and form by strength & conditioning coaches so i doubt its that.

Any ideas? (i do have very tight hamstrings) should i include a new stretch program to my routine and see if that helps or maybe bring out the foam roller??

Any advice would help don’t particular want to fork out the cash to go see an osteopath who will probably just tell me to take a break from lifting.

Cheers

2 days/week works and works well. I have been doing it for a couple months now. I am doing just the prescribed reps and haven’t missed any yet. Best part of all, the beat down feeling I used to get is gone.

Do DeFranco’s agile eight for a warm up and for general mobility. Definitely foam roll your hammies also!

This was from a Wendler interview in November:

[quote]
Modification #2: I’m a busy guy and hitting the gym four times a week is tough. Any lower frequency ideas that still yield gains?

"I get this a lot, and I have a kick-ass answer. Move everything to two times a week and do the following:

Week 1:

Monday: Squats 5/3/1, leg press 5 x 10, stiff leg deads 5 x 10, abs

Thursday: Bench press 5/3/1, dumbbell press 5 x 10, dumbbell row 5 x 10, biceps curls (yes, curls).

Include three days of hard conditioning (hill sprints) on nonconsecutive days.

Week 2:

Monday: Deadlift 5/3/1, safety bar squat 5 x 10, good mornings 5 x 10, abs

Thursday: Overhead press 5/3/1, chin-ups 5 x 10, dips 5 x 10, biceps curls (no, the joke isn’t on you, biceps curls).

Include three days of hard conditioning (hill sprints) on nonconsecutive days.[/quote]