5/3/1 New Move New Start

Honestly, I would just do the main lifts the way you planned to do them and then do a few FSL sets after the main work. You need to practice.

So I talked to few people that have used the 3 Day or Full body template for 5/3/1 and a lot of them said because you have 4 days of rest (in a sense) the deload every 4 weeks is not essential in the beginning. I’m thinking every 3 cycles I’ll take a real deload week especially since my weights are pretty light! My 4th week will be a 3x5 @ 85%. I think this will be manageable and still get some quality reps/weights in.

The plan looks good except for the 5xF assistance - if you do five sets, there’s no need to go to failure. Take every set as far as the muscle is willing to take it; no jerky movement, just focus on getting a pump and contracting the muscles.

Also, deload every other cycle - you may say “the weights are so light” but they were heavy enough to mess up your back. Don’t compare yourself to elite heavyweights. If you train your whole body with intensity 3x a week, giving it a break after six weeks of constant training would be wise.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
The plan looks good except for the 5xF assistance - if you do five sets, there’s no need to go to failure. Take every set as far as the muscle is willing to take it; no jerky movement, just focus on getting a pump and contracting the muscles.

Also, deload every other cycle - you may say “the weights are so light” but they were heavy enough to mess up your back. Don’t compare yourself to elite heavyweights. If you train your whole body with intensity 3x a week, giving it a break after six weeks of constant training would be wise.[/quote]

Sounds good man. I know you’re right. I adjusted the sets/reps accordingly. I’ll be deloading after every 2 cycles. Thanks for the input man, I appreciate it!

TUESDAY 1/5/15

Back Squat (Chins between sets)
115x5
135x5
150x5+
115x5
115x5
115x5+

Bench Press (Chins between sets)
115x5
135x5
150x5+
115x5
115x5
115x5+

Kroc Rows
60x
60x
60x
60x
60x

Hanging Leg Raises
x
x
x
x

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

Also, deload every other cycle - you may say “the weights are so light” but they were heavy enough to mess up your back. Don’t compare yourself to elite heavyweights. If you train your whole body with intensity 3x a week, giving it a break after six weeks of constant training would be wise.[/quote]
X2

5 sets to failure of Kroc rows is totally unnecessary and kinda misses the point of them. Just one set until actual, real, I can’t move this SOB one more inch, failure is how I find I get best results and how Matt Kroc recommends them in his article:

I would also make sure you’re using a clean pull 1RM that accurately reflects what you can do after 2 plus sets of squat cleans. My guess is, it will be lowered sustantially.

Hey man, welcome to Denver!