5/3/1 Muscle Gain

Which program should I choose? I am looking to increase muscle thickness look. Not looking for the huge bodybuilder show and no go look or the puffy bloated look, just the look where people say “yep, he lifts weights and obviously alot.” Due to my job (working as a mudman keeping four masons going) and time constraints, I am focusing on just the big three at the moment and enjoy just going in and getting it done. Some days its just the I aint doing shit, but if feeling not too bad I will either do 5x10 or 5x5 of the main lift.

Any ideas?

Boring but big challenge from beyond 5/3/1.

Oh god, you work with a bunch of bricklayers? That’s awful. Im sorry haha

I’ve had more success gaining size and thickness since going to a full body routine and focusing on strength. Squatting 3x per week and focusing on really pushing the PR sets has helped me gain 18 pounds this past 8 months while staying pretty lean.

Just do the basic program and stick with it. Triumvirate, BBB, do pull-ups/chin-ups.

[quote]HUNTER13 wrote:
Which program should I choose? I am looking to increase muscle thickness look. Not looking for the huge bodybuilder show and no go look or the puffy bloated look, just the look where people say “yep, he lifts weights and obviously alot.” Due to my job (working as a mudman keeping four masons going) and time constraints, I am focusing on just the big three at the moment and enjoy just going in and getting it done. Some days its just the I aint doing shit, but if feeling not too bad I will either do 5x10 or 5x5 of the main lift.

Any ideas?[/quote]

The one you will follow, be consistent with and feed (talking metaphorically and food wise).

Beara33, is that the template of Jims where you do two days of squats at warm up percentages and one day of 5/3/1 squat percentages and deadlifts, benches, and presses the other days (sq bch, sq dt, sq pr) at usual 5/3/1?

Yes, I went from Bill Starr’s 5x5 to Wendlers full body template that you mention above. I added the power clean to my training though and front squat on the one deload percentage day. I have to admit that while I really like both, the 531 version helped me pack on more size, you just can’t beat those PR sets.

Can’t really go wrong with any of the templates if you follow them exactly as Jim wrote, do mobility work, eat well, and sleep. The principles are all the same, just slightly different tactics.

Just followingup/updating. I am around alot of non powerlifters/5/3/1ers and they are telling me to come back to kettlebells or I’ll risk losing some of my mobility and athleticism. I think they are stuck on the old perception of fridges waddling up to a bar. If I keep sprints anf sled drags/pulls will I be ok? Not really up to giving up kettlebell and sledgehammer swings either. Work is slowing down so I think I am going to add overhead presses back in and continue on with four days a week ala the original 5/3/1 plan. I toyed with the full body program idea., but with my workload thought it was a little too much squating.

Do mobility work on your off days and do some box jumps (3-5 reps per “set” at the most) before or during your training. That will be enough. Tell your friends that any fat turd can use a kettlebell, but to squat heavy with good form and without pain represents a good amount of mobility and athleticism.

By the way, if you feel you can recover properly, the Rest/Pause challenge template will add size and strength with only two days a week. I have used that template for the past 12 weeks and saw incredible results. If you do this, you MUST EAT! Even on your off days, eat as much as you would on a training day or the program will tear you down. This program will tax you, and two days is plenty.

Good luck!

I use use kettlebells and other implements for conditioning work. If you want to use them there’s ways to fit them in.

Just wondering what the benefits of the overhead press is? The reason I omitted in the first place was to concentrate on the big three bang for your buck while my workload was insane. But do I really need to add it back in? Should I just stick with the big three?

[quote]HUNTER13 wrote:
Just wondering what the benefits of the overhead press is? The reason I omitted in the first place was to concentrate on the big three bang for your buck while my workload was insane. But do I really need to add it back in? Should I just stick with the big three?[/quote]
Please do some research and reading on the subject. This is NOT a beginner forum.