5/3/1 Minimalism (Feedback Please)

If there’s a 5/3/1 plan Jim has written somewhere that would fit the goal/timeframe, I’d appreciate if someone mentioned it. I’m just sketching out ideas while I’m bored and I don’t have access to the Beyond 5/3/1 book to check, so I thought I’d ask for some feedback.

I’m on Week 5 of 6 on Monolith. I’ll take a week off after Week 6 to go climbing/hiking/biking/camping with my wife and kids. When I come back, I’ll have limited time to train (~30 minutes/day). I really bought in with Monolith, down to the eating plan, and it has paid off. My class is taking a midterm, so I’m trying to come up with a plan for the six weeks when my time will be limited.

Here’s what I have written up so far:

Goal: keep what I’ve earned over the next six weeks while my life gets really busy and leave weight room feeling like I’m ready to run through a concrete wall if I decide to do it.

Timeframe: I’ll have 30 minutes/day. This includes warm-up. I’ll make time for recovery.

Access: athlete’s weight room full of barbells and racks and plates and dumbbells; a track, a football field, a massive hill.

I’m counting on 90-second rest between each set.

Day 1
Squat 5/3/1 Progression 3x5 FSL + Shrugs (100 reps minimum) + Ab Work

Day 2
Bench 5/3/1 Progression 5x8 FSL + Pullups (100 reps minimum)

Day 3
Hills

Day 4
Cleans 5/3/1 Progression + Deadlift 5/3/1 Progression + Ab Work

Day 5
3-mile walk

Day 6
OHDP 5/3/1 Progression 5x8 FSL + Pullups (5x5)

Day 7
Bike or Jog

If you can fit all of that into a 30 minute workout, tear it up man. There is always the original template with the good ol’ not doing jack shit accessory work.

I second Turtletub’s opinion mostly. Id do the main lift and maybe some fsl and back work. that 90 second rest sounds like it might lower the quality of your sets and turn it into a cardio-strength thing, better to have less quality work than more rushed reps… but then you know your recovery time better than I and you might just be a beast like that.

I’ll comp the other two above: do more quality, less quantity.

I’d try something like this:

5/3/1 work supersetted with chins (with presses) or ab work (with deads/squats) + 1x fsl AMRAP if you have time.

How many lifting days/conditioning days you have per week depends on your goals.

What sort of rest period do y’all use? I try to stick to 90 seconds, unless it’s going for a PR. I’m still working out whether I could do all of that in 30 minutes… I probably cannot. The temptation to do too much is strong with this one. :-/

[quote]JoshRutherford wrote:
What sort of rest period do y’all use? I try to stick to 90 seconds, unless it’s going for a PR. I’m still working out whether I could do all of that in 30 minutes… I probably cannot. The temptation to do too much is strong with this one. :-/[/quote]

Personally, if it was me and time was limited, I’d take the DC template approach and do a Rest-Pause FSL on upper body movements and a single down set on the lower body lifts.

I’d expect to be able to do that plus a warm up and jumps in the time you have pretty comfortably.

I like that- I’ll take a look!

If your short on time at the weight room; can you spare some time at home? Heavy kettlebells or an Airdyne off craigslist don’t take-up much space. Seems like intensity would be a better fit there instead of muscle building stuff.

If you are short on time, do the Rest Pause Template. On off days, do something at home.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
If you are short on time, do the Rest Pause Template. On off days, do something at home.[/quote]

Thanks! Also, great post today about “The Perfect Template”.

In the weight room I only do main lifts. Other than that, I’ve got a chin-up bar at home and I use that high frequency all week long.