5/3/1 - Makin' the Reaper Wait

[quote]DaCharmingAlbino wrote:
Maybe they look light now, but I’ve been after these since a 315 squat, a 225 bench and a 400 DL was a big deal to me. A few years. So I’m knocking these down first. Later I’ll think about what comes after.[/quote]

I think I can help. When I pulled 475, you mentioned something about me making you pull 500. Of course, you went and pulled 515 (40# more). So, I’ma thinking that if I can pull 510 in the next month or so, you, per the pattern, will go out the next DL day and pull, at least 550.
I’ll get right on that…

Okay - so I went for a 4 mile bike ride with uphill legs on both ends of the ride on my son’s bike that we bought for him when he was 8, so my knees are up around my shoulders if I sat down, after not having been on a bike for about 14 years. Too little food the night before and nothing eaten during the day. Then I got home and tried to deadlift.

Here’s what I got:

135x8
225x5
315x3
425x1 (fast but harder than it should have been)
475x1 (not fast, very hard)
525xyou can’t be serious

with the added bonus that I strained my right oblique under the ribs on the 475.

Done for the night.

my brutha, not that I want you to turn into an old lardass like me, but you needz to git you some FOOD.

Try to force yourself to eat or shake every 3 hours. If I don’t do that, I forget to eat when I should. The difference is, you get the results from it that I wished I did. Instead of getting Hawt Abz™, I binge and lard up.

How much protein are you forcing per day?
xoxoxo
old lardass

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
my brutha, not that I want you to turn into an old lardass like me, but you needz to git you some FOOD.

Try to force yourself to eat or shake every 3 hours. If I don’t do that, I forget to eat when I should. The difference is, you get the results from it that I wished I did. Instead of getting Hawt Abz™, I binge and lard up.

xoxoxo
old lardass[/quote]

I get about 200+ grams all told I figure. I’m out of milk at the moment and haven’t had time to get to the store. I’ll fix that up, but I need to get more protein powder as well, I’ve got about a day and a half’s worth left. Know any reasonably priced brands I can get off the shelf to tide me over until I can order some of my favorite? I’d go GNC but I can’t handle a lot of sucralose, which they put in their products as a sweetener. Kefir is good, but at 4.50 per quart it’s a tad pricey to depend upon as a staple.

I’m going to do the old trick of adding powdered whole milk to skim milk, peanut butter and chocolate syrup and see how that goes. I should be able to get 40 grams of protein at least per serving that way plus a bucketful of kcals, all on the cheap. I’ll turn into a snot factory but that’s the least of my concerns at this point.

Okay - so I went for a 4 mile bike ride with uphill legs on both ends of the ride on my son’s bike that we bought for him when he was 8, so my knees are up around my shoulders if I sat down, after not having been on a bike for about 14 years. Too little food the night before and nothing eaten during the day. Then I got home and tried to deadlift.

Here’s what I got:

135x8
225x5
315x3
525xyou can’t be serious

with the added bonus that I strained my right oblique under the ribs on the 475.

Done for the night.[/quote]

the brains of the group definitely had a brain fart here.

yeah… nutrition and rest are number one. actual lifting is the icing.

Thats good Dling after a bike ride DCA. I get in the neighborhood of 300-350 grams of protein a days. If I have much over 100 grams of carbs I feel sluggish for hours.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
DaCharmingAlbino wrote:

Here’s what I got:

135x8
225x5
315x3
525xyou can’t be serious

Done for the night.

the brains of the group definitely had a brain fart here.

yeah… nutrition and rest are number one. actual lifting is the icing.

[/quote]

c. whacked my pee-pee too. Lot of tough love going around today, LOL :slight_smile:

My favorite quote from The Usual Suspects

“Bad day. Fuck it.”

Recover and get back on that horse DCA!"

did we drink a gallon of silliness or something?

[quote]PeteS wrote:
did we drink a gallon of silliness or something? [/quote]

I don’t know about “we,” but I certainly seem to have been drinking from Stupid Well.

I actually took in more calories (about 1200) before going to sleep last night and am feeling much better today. I can do that because I don’t usually go to sleep until 3AM (programmer’s hours). Pulled oblique is not complaining too much and the abbreviated work last night seems to have aided recovery in general. I may turn that into a regular thing, making the 4th day of the cycle a shorty by doing a single 90% lower body lift - every other cycle perhaps.

I’m looking for an adult-sized bike, now, since I’ll have to do this every Tuesday and Thursday.

Dude… you need to be careful…

I am with you on the not eating front… I forget to eat-
and with alergies, in spring and summer the appetite is usually gone.

I also think I still have food eating issues, from years of cutting weight go figure,
Meat did you cut in HS and College when you wrestled???

The ON brands are ok their whey is OK…

kmc

mjnewland wrote:

xoxoxo
old lardass

I get about 200+ grams all told I figure. I’m out of milk at the moment and haven’t had time to get to the store. I’ll fix that up, but I need to get more protein powder as well, I’ve got about a day and a half’s worth left. Know any reasonably priced brands I can get off the shelf to tide me over until I can order some of my favorite? I’d go GNC but I can’t handle a lot of sucralose, which they put in their products as a sweetener. Kefir is good, but at 4.50 per quart it’s a tad pricey to depend upon as a staple.

[/quote]

I sometimes get GROW! from this site, but when I can’t, I go to costco and the a foil bag of vanilla powder by the swine at eas. I flavor it with the single serving crystal lite packets (got that idea from Hammer Shugart).

Would it be a fair statement to say you have a fairly high metabolism? and your weight between 190-200? You should prolly be shooting for close to 300g protein. Again, for different reasons than me, you should try to get 50-60g protein every 3 hours. Plus an extra 60g post workout on lifty days.

since you are a programmer, I assume your diet is full of healthy fibrous carbs like Mt.Dew and Pringles? I’m a BA, so I work in a pit of programmers, they are always a lot more fun if you bring pringles or pizza.

i’ve been preaching this for a long time… protein and lots of it is the key to the Kingdom. if that is lacking all the hard work is actually counterproductive becuase the muscles are being broken down but can’t rebuild. this is where those little and sometimes huge injuries come into play. on top of that, it only takes takes one day of poor eating to screw things up. it has to become automatic.

i keep plenty of protein in reserve just in case. when i travel, i have my travel protein container with a shaker. i take my shakes at the same time each day. personally, i take in 300 grams from shakes and try to get another 300 from food. if my food sources are lacking i do some very general calculations in my head and add a scoop to a shake or two to make up for the difference. i would dare say that most of those out there not making the progress they want is diet related.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
i’ve been preaching this for a long time… protein and lots of it is the key to the Kingdom. if that is lacking all the hard work is actually counterproductive becuase the muscles are being broken down but can’t rebuild. this is where those little and sometimes huge injuries come into play. on top of that, it only takes takes one day of poor eating to screw things up. it has to become automatic. i keep plenty of protein in reserve just in case. when i travel, i have my travel protein container with a shaker. i take my shakes at the same time each day. personally, i take in 300 grams from shakes and try to get another 300 from food. if my food sources are lacking i do some very general calculations in my head and add a scoop to a shake or two to make up for the difference. i would dare say that most of those out there not making the progress they want is diet related. [/quote]

I would have to agree, simply on the basis of my own experience: When I eat “too much”, I get stronger. When I don’t eat enough, I get hurt.

maraudermeat wrote:
i’ve been preaching this for a long time… protein and lots of it is the key to the Kingdom. if that is lacking all the hard work is actually counterproductive becuase the muscles are being broken down but can’t rebuild. this is where those little and sometimes huge injuries come into play. on top of that, it only takes takes one day of poor eating to screw things up. it has to become automatic. i keep plenty of protein in reserve just in case. when i travel, i have my travel protein container with a shaker. i take my shakes at the same time each day. personally, i take in 300 grams from shakes and try to get another 300 from food. if my food sources are lacking i do some very general calculations in my head and add a scoop to a shake or two to make up for the difference. i would dare say that most of those out there not making the progress they want is diet related.

I would have to agree, simply on the basis of my own experience: When I eat “too much”, I get stronger. When I don’t eat enough, I get hurt.[/quote]

exactly… you would think that the training would be the hardest thing. for me, it’s the eating. it’s such a chore. but i guess when you are trying to do extraordinary things with your body, you can’t just eat like an ordinary person.

I thought all of this protein intake stuff was common knowledge by now… j/k, kinda. Thank god for shakes though, I have periods where it is literally painful to chew anything anymore. To give myself a break right now I am avoiding a couple of knife and fork meals, and using a little more whey, and adding in a huge ‘sandwhich’ for one meal. The sandwhich is basically Ezekial bread with a 1/2 pound of lean roast beef in the middle, topped with jalopeno mustard. mighty tasty.

So I did the little bikey thing again yesterday, taking my son to and from his soccer practice. As assistant to the coach (NOT assistant coach - I know nearly nothing about soccer) I had the honor of shagging down soccer balls to keep them in play.

I have discovered that

1. 11 year old boys can kick very hard
  2. round things roll really far when a good deal of momentum has been applied to them

Consequently, I did a fair amount of jogging as well.

While I hate (hate! HATE!) cardio, I have to admit that the bike riding and lateral movement is doing good things for my funky hip and leg. I may do it voluntarily again on Saturday.

So I did the little bikey thing again yesterday, taking my son to and from his soccer practice. As assistant to the coach (NOT assistant coach - I know nearly nothing about soccer) I had the honor of shagging down soccer balls to keep them in play.

I have discovered that

1. 11 year old boys can kick very hard
  2. round things roll really far when a good deal of momentum has been applied to them

Consequently, I did a fair amount of jogging as well.

While I hate (hate! HATE!) cardio, I have to admit that the bike riding and lateral movement is doing good things for my funky hip and leg. I may do it voluntarily again on Saturday.[/quote]

This is the best kind of “cardio” - activity with a purpose, especially if you don’t enjoy doing it for it’s own sake.