5/3/1 Long Term Success

I like this one;

Goal: 500 Pound Bench Press

Where are you presently in that goal?

In Forever, it’s well explained - if you use leader, anchor and the 7th week correctly, it’s all taken care of for you

This one is great…

1 Like

That is a good one, thanks!

I will say though, NCFox appears to be some kind of superhuman, training everyday with no apparent deloads?

Probably not the model I would find success with…

I cant remember the whole ins and outs but main thing is:
-ran through many different templates
-started off scrawny as hell
-stuck with it.

Not read through it for a while but he lifted mostly 4 days a week as is usual. Running was his thing, his gainzz would prob be even better if he backed off.
Then again, pushing your work capacity/high level of conditioning is something Jim massively encourages.

Could be wrong, but honestly sounds like you are looking for excuses.

lol why don’t you look real close—and i mean real close, be sure to check the dates of every workout, all 231 posts. some of his “cycles” only took 12 days, because he trained 12 days in a row with no deloads. i didn’t see one deload in the entire log

how many people do you know who can sustain that long term?

if i regularly trained 12 consecutive days with no deloads, while playing ice hockey and training bjj, i would crash and burn in short order.

not an excuse, a reality

I don’t think RampantBadger is saying you should train exactly like the log, I think he is attempting to illustrate it is how one can progress long term following 5/3/1 like this thread was started for. I think it also shows, that with a bit of hard work we can probably handle more than we think, and probably can/should be making time for “extra workouts” that will aid in recovery.

Though you may not follow a plan exactly like it, there are things you could take from it and apply to your own. Example being that you can train different energy systems and/or physical attributes at once and still make slow progress on all of them if you are training intelligently.

Maybe you can’t run, roll, skate, and lift every day, but you could go for a walk in the morning and go to bjj in the evening. After hockey you could push a sled, or do a run through a mobility/recovery circuit. These things might seem like they are detracting, and might be challenging to adjust to in the short term, but after you have adapted will aid you in making progress by working with each other over the long term.

When it comes down to it, just be intelligent/realistic with your programming choices and stick to the process.

1 Like

The reality of my situation is that training is not a top priority. Family and job tend to take that spot.

Sleep is my biggest bottleneck. I have to get up at 5am for work. I’m lucky to get to bed by 9pm. Seven hours is the norm, and that’s not going to change.

That being the case, something in training has to come out. I’ve learned (repeatedly) the hard way, if I try and push my training I end up sick, usually bronchitis or sinus infections. In fact, that’s why I’m here; in November I pushed the end of a training cycle—higher intensity, lower volume—and ended up with the ‘rona.

I’m also not interested in adding 100# to my lifts in twelve months. More like 100# in three years, if I’m even bothering to keep track.

So, 2x2x2 is probably my best bet. Hockey plus bjj equals two conditioning days. Yoga or similar two other days. Two lifting days would be squat-bench, press-deadlift, though currently I am stretching it out over four days. The shorter workouts fit better in my life schedule right now.

And I’m sorry, I find comments like “sounds like you are looking for excuses” to be unhelpful at best. Pissed me off, in fact, and I got defensive.

This isn’t a bad plan at all, but you can also take any of the 4 day per week programs and stretch them out over 2 weeks. Coffinworm would kick ass for that because it’s a lot of work and the extra recovery time is never bad. Your conditioning is built into your week by default with hobbies, so you just need Agile 8 a few times a day on 2 more days. If you keep rest times reasonable then you’re looking at 1-1.5 hours lifting on two days, 45 minutes mobility on two days, and no other time taken from your schedule. The sleep aspect is tough, but I’ve never averaged more than 6 hours per night and have been able to progress well. I know others have done the same or better. Just have to account for it with food and assistance work.

1 Like

Looking for some feedback on a couple options.

Currently running 3/5/1 as follows:

3s week - pr set, fsl pr set
5s week - pyramid
1s week - 5/3/1 reps, tm pr set

option 1) continue with 3/5/1 setup until stall (tm pr set less than 3 reps), then move to option 2,

or move straight to:

option 2)

leader 1 - 5s pro bbb
leader 2 - 5’s pro fsl
anchor - 3/5/1 as above

Thanks!

What’s the longest any of you have run 531 while continuously making progress? For real long term did you have to incorporate variations of the big lifts to progressing?

Keep it simple. Since your already on “option 1” you might as well just stick to it. The main thing for long term progress is to just keep doing the work.

By the time you stall out from doing PR sets at your TM you will be sick of them and ready to switch over to BBB.

1 Like

I used the 2 day per week option from Beyond 5/3/1 for 1.5 years straight and made really good progress without changing much at all. I may have switched up the 5 x 10 work after the 5/3/1 work, but nothing more than that. If you set your TM low enough, push intelligently, and pick your 5 x 10 supplemental weights with your brain and not your balls, it’s pretty hard not to progress. Will probably return to that style of training throughout the summer to allow time for other things.

You can run 5/3/1 indefinitely without rotating your main lifts as long as you’re smart about which 5/3/1 program you pick and how you set your training maxes. I think I’m up to 6 years or more now of exclusive 5/3/1 programming and haven’t swapped main lifts out. That’s with a deformed spine and recovery issues. A healthier person would do even better I’d imagine.

1 Like

If you’re eager to stall so that you can move to option 2, I’d just switch now.

Otherwise, do everything in your power inside and outside of the gym to avoid stalling for as long as you can.

2 Likes

Damn, good effort!