5/3/1 Krypteia Training Log kyle_eng

Thanks for following, my dude. Do you still have pain?

When I went to a PT months ago, she said there were a few issues I believe, but the main stretch that helped tremendously was a piriformis stretch. But even after that, there was a lingering pain, so slight, that never went away. I’ve foam roll my IT band and other areas in the past, but that didn’t seem to make a difference, but apparently it did for this last bit of pain.

Man, I’ve done every stretch known to man for low back, IT band, piriformis, etc.

My pain (I think) was caused mainly by being very tight in the hips generally and all the other components just getting more and more knotted up over the years sitting at a desk all day and not doing much athletically the past few years.

It’s taken time, patience, pain, and a few trips to chiro and massage to get it to where I don’t have to consume 1200mg motrin every 6 hours.

I just have to be very focused on maintaining that mobility in my hips and keeping low back stretched. I started using a standing desk and stand about half my day now and that’s been very helpful.

I do Defranco’s Nimble 11 every day and on some days both before and after workout

I don’t want to jinx anything but my low back pain is almost nonexistent now.
I feel a little muscle soreness when I work it, but not like before where it felt like radiating pain in my back and into my leg and making it almost unbearable to be awake (when it was acting up)

Mainly I think it’s been just a constant focus to work on the underlying tightness and getting everything stronger and more flexible.

1 Like

Sunday 12/10/17

Video of the Day:
5x4 Rotational Medicine Ball Throws + Warm up

Warm up + Work sets

Jumps/Throws
20 rotational throws/side with a 12 lb medicine ball

Lifting

Overhead Press
85x5
95x5
105x5
85x5x5 paused

Goblet Squat
95 DB x 5x13

DB SLDL + shrug
80 per hand x 3x13, 2x10 w/ straps

Band pull aparts
Red mini band 5x20

Finished in 42 minutes

Comments

Workout went OK. Not as great as my deadlift workout, but that’s OK. The DB SLDL are still pretty tough, I might drop to 5x11 or 12. Kinda sucks I have to take a step back.

Going to bump the Goblet squats up by 5lbs and do a 5x10.

1 Like

Monday 12/11/17

Video of the Day

Jumps/Throws
4x5 Box Jumps

Lifting

Squat
185x5
210x5
235x5
185x5x5 paused

Dips
5x11 20lb chain

Chin Ups
Purple band assisted 5x10

Band Pull aparts
Red mini band 5x20

Finished in 41 minutes

Comments

Workout felt easy. Took plenty of time to rest.

Even though I’m adding weight to the dips, I’m not feeling very winded at all. Going to up the reps next session. Was able to finish a 5x10 on the pull ups, so that’s progress. Things are feeling good.

2 Likes

Wednesday 12/13/17

Video of the day

Also, wanted to show you the gains… OK maybe it’s the lighting… But I’m not flexing lol. It’s the pump from benching and shrugs today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcq0C1RBcUj/?taken-by=kyle__eng

Jumps/Throws
4x5 Punch Throws with 12lb Medicine Ball

Lifting

Swiss Bar Bench Press
130x5
145x5
165x5
130x5x5 paused

Goblet Squat
100 DB x 5x10

DB SLDL + Shrug
80 per hand x 5x11

Band Pull aparts
Red mini band 5x20

Finished in 43 minutes

Comments

So unfortunately, the back pain is back, and that blissful day a week ago was transient.

Anyway, workout went as expect. 5x10 for goblet squats using a 100lb dumbbell is pretty killer to support, but squatting it is ok; really takes the wind out of you. Will try 5x11 next time.

Getting better at the DB SLDL, including the shrug, which was always the hardest part for me. Will try 5x12 next time with the same weight.

Thursday 12/14/17

Jumps/Throws
Short on time today, no throws

Lifting

Trap Bar DL
245x5
280x5
315x5
245x5x5

Dips
5x12 with 20lb chain

Chin Ups

Band Pull aparts
None, short on time

Finished in 38 minutes

Comments

Workout went great again. I’m not feeling really much out of breath, which is great because this used to be my hardest workout. Now it feels close to the easiest.

Going to increase the reps on the dips. For the chin ups, I’ve realize I’m not actually weaker on this day. I’ve actually been doing pull ups on a bar that isn’t as higher. Because of this, I bend my legs in a funny position to keep the band secure. When I do this, I’m not really pulling in a straight line, and I’m all over the place. By the fourth set, I split my chin ups to 5 and 5… I decided to go to a different station to test my theory for the fifth set, and sure enough, the fifth set felt easy and I wasn’t out of balance.

Even bullshitting for a few minutes, I still managed to finish in a respectable time. Things are looking good, and for my deadlift days, I think the upcoming 5x10s will be manageable.

1 Like

Sunday 12/17/17

Haven’t gone to the gym since Thursday. I’ve been away. Still it’s a much needed break.

As of today, I started taking Magnesium, which I’ve read increases free testosterone. Normal recommendation is about 4mg/kg bodyweight, but for athletes, can go up to 10+mg/kg. That means I’m taking 1g of magnesium per day. This can potentially increase my T by 24%.

Tomorrow, unfortunately I’m working in the field for work, so by the time I get to the gym, I’m going to be pretty drained. The good thing is I plan to take one of the olympic lifting classes in my gym, so this won’t affect my schedule too much. My lifting will be pushed back a few days, but that’s ok because it pushes into my deload week.

Monday 12/18/17

I was just diagnosed with Alopecia acreata, which is an auto immune disease. Sounds scary, but it’s just spot balding. Looks ugly, but I have a patch on my scalp with no hair. I wonder if this has to do with my testosterone levels. I have to schedule an injection soon, and apply some ointment to my scalp. The follicle remains active, and I should be able to regrow hair.

This has been stressing the fuck out of me since Thursday (when someone pointed out said patch); initially I thought it was just stress (recently received some bad news at work). After thinking about it more, I didn’t want to not diagnose it in case it was something more serious.

I thought I’d mention this, because it probably has to at least do a little with my training, as I feel so much more stress, and I’ve had a few sleepless nights.

I took a class today at my gym, despite sleeping only for 2-3 hours last night, and working in the field. Very happy that I did, because the drop in fee was $20, and I was the only guy there (I figured this would be the case for an 8PM class near the holidays). Normally a one on one coaching session is $75 or so.

Apparently I’m a natural at clean and jerks; this was my first time ever doing a clean (if you don’t count reverse curling a 95 lb bar to rack it). I was able to clean up my form with heavier weights. My issue is my rack position. I can’t do a full clean. Even a power clean is a bit hard, but I still get the bar pretty high. Having a shitty rack position makes it hard for me to get under the bar, despite getting the bar pretty high.

I worked up to a 185lb clean. I missed it three times, but eventually got it. The one time I got it, I missed the jerk. Was just a loss of concentration, because my jerks were much better than my cleans.For the record, my deadlift was an estimated max of 360 lbs without a belt a year ago. I haven’t done a straight bar deadlift in a year. I’m pretty excited and I’d like to try it again

I hope you’ll be OK man! Let us know what’s happening. Don’t worry about training, get yourself sorted out and you’ll come back sooner than you think!

Tuesday 12/19/17

Video of the Day:
Full workout uploaded
[Part 1]

[Part 2]

Jumps/Throws
20 rotational throws/side with a 12 lb medicine ball

Lifting

Overhead Press
90x5
100x5
115x5
90x5x5

Goblet Squat
100 DB x 5x11

DB SLDL + shrug
80 per hand x 5x12 w/ straps

Band pull aparts
Red mini band 5x20

Finished in 40 minutes

Comments

Workout felt good. Shoulders and traps were a little sore coming in because of the CJ session the night before.

As you can see, I uploaded the full workout. Not taking too long of a break, maybe a minute or two when I’m most winded. You can see the bald spot on the right side of my head sometimes.

Again, I plan on upping the reps for the Goblet squat to 12 reps, and DB SLDL to 13 reps. Eventually, I’m going to bump the Goblet squats to 105lbs, and that might be a little weird, because the bottom of the DB is no longer flat. I’ll have to stand the DB on the box, and pick it up right away, or else it’d fall over.

2 Likes

Thursday 12/21/17

Video of the Day
[Part 1]

[Part 2]

Jumps/Throws
4x5 Box Jumps

Lifting

Squat
200x5
225x5
250x5
200x5x5

Dips
5x13 20lb chain

Chin Ups
Purple band assisted 5x11

Band Pull aparts
Red mini band 5x20

Finished in 41 minutes

Comments

Attempted to do 5x11 on the pull ups, but had to break up the last set. Really not sure why I can’t seem to increase pull up strength. People give all sorts of recommendations, and that’s fine, but then what do you say to the people/coaches that say to follow the program as is??

I might try to do a 6x10 instead of upping reps. That seems like it would be in bounds of the program.

I’m feeling stronger on the squats, and there’s not doubt in my mind that my squat has gone up since I started this program 6 weeks ago.

Full workout uploaded.

1 Like

Saturday 12/23/17

Video of the day

Just look at those calves and quads, Prime viewing lol

Jumps/Throws
Short on time, did not throw

Lifting

Swiss Bar Bench Press
135x5
155x5
175x5
135x5x5 paused

Goblet Squat
100 DB x 5x12

DB SLDL + Shrug
80 per hand x 5x13

Band Pull aparts
None, Short on time

Finished in 39 minutes

Comments

Workout went as expected. Nothing to really be said except the Goblet Squats are catching up on me. It’s really starting to get me pretty winded now, moreso than the DB SLDL

1 Like

Sunday 12/24/17

Video of the Day

Jumps/Throws
Short on time today, no throws

Lifting

Trap Bar DL
265x5
300x5
335x5
265x5x5

Dips
5x13 with 20lb chain

Chin Ups
Purple band assisted 5x11

Band Pull aparts
None, short on time

Finished in 41 minutes

Comments

Still trying in to dial my form on the deadlifts, but I think I’m starting to figure it out. The deadlifts felt harder than usual, especially my topset. This is probably because I still don’t have the form down completely (I always start feeling good around the last two supplemental sets), but mainly because gym hours were cut a little short. I pretty much woke up, ate, and left the house right away. I don’t usually feel quite awake at that point.

This note is for my next deadlift workout. I should not feel like I have to have a vertical posture in my set up. I should not have to pull trying to reach this posture, as I feel there’s actually more pressure on my spine in my attempt to do this. Really, I should get a good knee bend from the beginning, but maintain a very rigid torso, and not try to stand completely upright.

Had a guy halfway across the gym telling me to keep up the good work, so it’s nice to see hard work being recognized. Didn’t even think anyone was even watching me, as everyone is pretty strong in the gym. Though it is easy to see anyone working hard on this program, it’s hard not to. You’re jumping from movement to movement and you’re usually only resting 30-60s, maybe 90s when you’re more winded.

1 Like

Merry Christmas!

1 Like

This week is a deload for me. I’m using the 7th protocol as a rest week, minus some accessories.

On Tuesday I did the Press workout, working up to a double at 85%. I lowered the assistance weight, using only two 70lb KBs (but used only one of them for the goblet squats), and did a 3x10 for them. Workout literally took 15 min on the dot, almost felt like a waste of time driving to the gym.

Today, I decided to combine Squat and Bench and work up to doubles at 85%. Did not do any assistance except bodyweight pull ups, 4x6. Did not bother timing it because it wasn’t really a Krypteia workout.

Later this night, I started taking some bjj classes, and that was really fun. Can’t say I remember many moves, but I’m understanding the concept a little bit.

Tomorrow I plan to either do some easy conditioning and/or work on some squat form, along with more pull ups.

1 Like

Monday 1/1/18

Jumps/Throws
4x5 Box Jumps

Lifting

Squat
170x5
200x5
225x5
170x5x10

Dips
5x13 20lb chain

Chin Ups

Band Pull aparts
Red mini band 5x20

Finished in 41 minutes

Comments

Wow, starting the third cycle is hard. 5x10 even at a light weight really takes the wind out of you. I kept the assistance the same as in the past.

5x13 seems to be the sweet spot for dips, maybe I can add an extra set.
I started my chin ups with 11 reps, but quick realized it wasn’t there today, either due to the extra volume or not doing too many chins during my deload.

Al in all, I actually felt really good today. The extra volume really drains you. I’m glad the press is taken out.

I did not used a belt at all, but I can imagine the 5x10 on the second week is going to be complete ass if I don’t use a belt; it’s just going to be funny using a belt squatting 185. I’m not looking forward to the deadlift workout. That’s going to be a killer.

2 Likes

Good luck and don’t forget to have fun aha

5x10 looks horrible, glad I’m not doing it! I’m not sure I would use a belt though. Does your form deteriorate with high reps ? You’ve been doing all these goblet squats, you’ll be fine!

170 was fine, but definitely got harder near the last rep or two. 185 (week 2) will definitely be difficult by the 4th or 5th set. 200 (week 3) will undoubtedly be hard by the 3rd set.

I think we have very similar squat numbers, so I think you can relate. does 85kgx5x10 or 90kgx5x10 seem remotely intimidating to you at all, without a belt?

I think I’m pretty good at high reps. I’m certainly adapted to it; I did two cycles of inverted juggernaut method, which used similar rep schemes, but the % was much lower w that program.

1 Like

It does of course but more when I think about how sore I will be the next day aha

I’ve done 20 reps with around 85kg for a few weeks so I know I can do high reps without it. I feel like it helps me more on heavier weights, because I can get tighter with heavier weights. Plus I just recently got the belt so I’m not sure I actually get much out of it.

Definitely put it on if you feel unsafe though, especially cause these sets are done after all the chins and dips I understand you feel tired aha

Ok well maybe I’ll try a few sets without the belt, and put it on as I need. I’ve done 22 reps at 185lbs (good day), and 25 with a belt (off day).

1 Like