T Nation

5/3/1 Improvements

Ok, from November 2010-August 2011 is my offseason for football. During that time I will be using 5/3/1. I counted the weeks and divided them by 4. So I found out that I will be able to go through 10 cycles of it before I have to stop lifting during the season. Is it realistic to add 100 lbs to my squat and deadlift and 50-65 lbs to my bench and shoulder press? Right now my squat and deadlift are 365, and I was hoping to get to 450 by middle of August and I was hoping to be able to bench 300 by the same time and shoulder press 225.

I need some imput to see if these are realistic goals. I think they are. if my squat and deadlift go up 10 lbs/cycle and my bench and shoulder press go up 5/cycle, then I know I can achieve them. But the only thing is that it’s harder to increase the poundage consistantly as the weights go up. Any type of advice or input like that would be appreciated. Peace, Luke.

You won’t know how to make a realistic goal until you’ve done a few cycles of the program. If you add 50lbs total to your estimated 1RM on all lifts combined in the first 3 months you can expect about 3*50 for the entire 10 month run. In reality progress slows down a bit the longer you do it but the estimate is good enough. In the end progress is progress and it doesn’t matter if you goal was met or was unreasonable in the first place.

I typed the above before I looked this up but my example was pretty good, I did 155lbs in the first 10 months.

Personally, I am on my 12th cycle of 5/3/1 and my squat and deadlift have been consistent in going up 10 lbs or so each month, I had to reset my bench, and multiple resets for overhead which has been improving but not at the rates the weight goes up. I think others find something similar.

Good luck!

wait you want to add 265 lbs to your total + 65 lbs to your shoulder press from now to mid august?
If so, then fuck no that won’t happen.

[quote]Chap Manly wrote:
wait you want to add 265 lbs to your total + 65 lbs to your shoulder press from now to mid august?
If so, then fuck no that won’t happen.[/quote]

August 2011

[quote]mmatt wrote:

[quote]Chap Manly wrote:
If so, then fuck no that won’t happen.[/quote]

August 2011[/quote]

That’s right, my bad. I would say those are all reasonably goals. The squat I think will definitely be the most difficult though.