T Nation

5/3/1 Help

I started 5/3/1 routine yesterday and was wondering if the Boring, but Big assistant template is enough. An example is:

BB Bench - 3x5
BB Bench - 5x10 30-40% of 1 rm
DB Rows - 5x10

I just feel it isn’t enough for my chest. Anyone who’s doing the routine or template know if it’s enough? I feel like adding Dips 5x10 and an isolation for my triceps will help.

My goals are to hit 200 lbs., currently 172 lbs. My diet mainly consist of oatmeal in the mornings, an approx. 4-6 glasses of milk with 1 being a protein shake, chicken with white rice in the afternoon, and PB sandwhich in evening. It doesn’t sound much, but I’m eating large portions. The above example was my workout yesterday.

Until you stop eating like a 100lb. woman all the accessory exercises in the world won’t help.

It IS enough…if you EAT. Guaran-fucking-teed.

alright, thank you. I’ll get my diet in check then. Also, is the routine meant for mainly strength, size, or both?

This book covers everything you need to know. Really.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=134&pid=3206

One of the members gave me this template

http://www.mensfitness.com/fitness/workout_routines/451?page=2

I like it, it has wrecked me but I feel like I’ve put some serious effort in when I leave the gym. It still hits the big compound lifts with full intensity and then supplementary lifts afterwards.

[quote]rustyjoe89 wrote:
I started 5/3/1 routine yesterday and was wondering if the Boring, but Big assistant template is enough. An example is:

BB Bench - 3x5
DB Rows - 5x10

I just feel it isn’t enough for my chest. Anyone who’s doing the routine or template know if it’s enough? I feel like adding Dips 5x10 and an isolation for my triceps will help.

My goals are to hit 200 lbs., currently 172 lbs. My diet mainly consist of oatmeal in the mornings, an approx. 4-6 glasses of milk with 1 being a protein shake, chicken with white rice in the afternoon, and PB sandwhich in evening. It doesn’t sound much, but I’m eating large portions. The above example was my workout yesterday.[/quote]

I myself just began the program this week, I have to agree it was difficult to wrap my head around the short workouts. The factor here I believe is less is better sometimes, especially in this program. When the weights start getting heavier as the weeks progress I think you’ll find the workouts sufficient in hitting your chest. Just follow the program exactly as its given and have patience. By the way on the Strict press day you will be doing 75 dips in all so I think that is sufficient.

[quote]HiFiBoy wrote:
One of the members gave me this template

http://www.mensfitness.com/fitness/workout_routines/451?page=2

I like it, it has wrecked me but I feel like I’ve put some serious effort in when I leave the gym. It still hits the big compound lifts with full intensity and then supplementary lifts afterwards.[/quote]

That is wild. After reading the e-book, I never thought I’d see Wendler say go for the “pump” and prescribe rest periods.

Diet is a different topic but training wise I’ve had good luck with about 45 min workouts, so add what you need to make it that long. For 5/3/1 I try to do some good warm-up sets and the time I’m completely done with the big lift 15 minutes have gone by so assistance is 30 mins. Some people may say it can be shorter but even if I’m wrong I don’t think doing up to 45 minutes is going to have any negative side effects vs some shorter time.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:

[/quote]

well, i have to admit, it is lacking in the diet advice. All i can recall is it saying to drink a gallon of milk a day if you want to gain :slight_smile: so if that is all this guy is missing the book won’t help.

[quote]Rek wrote:

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:

[/quote]

well, i have to admit, it is lacking in the diet advice. All i can recall is it saying to drink a gallon of milk a day if you want to gain :slight_smile: so if that is all this guy is missing the book won’t help.[/quote]

No disagreeing there. OP originally stated:

[quote]

BB Bench - 3x5
DB Rows - 5x10

I just feel it isn’t enough for my chest. Anyone who’s doing the routine or template know if it’s enough? I feel like adding Dips 5x10 and an isolation for my triceps will help.[/quote]

So to really answer that first question, it is not enough stimulation at the beginning but will soon be enough. I personally added db incline press (work up to a 8-10 rep max) as well as weighted dips. I vary the dip goal every week with weight used and reps achieved.

BBB is ok for getting extra work in and conditioning, but not so great for bodybuilding (if that’s your goal). Maybe that’s obvious.

As far as diet, a simplified approach to diet from Wendler:

[quote]rustyjoe89 wrote:

BB Bench - 3x5
DB Rows - 5x10

I just feel it isn’t enough for my chest.

HATE TO STATE THE OBVIOUS HERE, BUT BARBELL BENCH IS NOT A CHEST MOVEMENT…THE ABOVE LIST OF EXERCISES WOULD DO LITTLE TO STIMULATE YOUR CHEST. PICK SOME DIFFERENT “CHEST” EXERCISES FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE WORK. DIPS & INCLINE DB’S WOULD BE BETTER…IMHO.

[quote]Viets wrote:
HATE TO STATE THE OBVIOUS HERE, BUT BARBELL BENCH IS NOT A CHEST MOVEMENT…THE ABOVE LIST OF EXERCISES WOULD DO LITTLE TO STIMULATE YOUR CHEST. PICK SOME DIFFERENT “CHEST” EXERCISES FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE WORK. DIPS & INCLINE DB’S WOULD BE BETTER…IMHO.[/quote]

I thought people were over this notion by now. While there may be exercises that isolate the chest better, I have yet to meet someone with a respectable bench who did not have a respectable chest to go along with it. The leg extension isolates the quads much better than a traditional back squat. Guess which one is more effective at packing on muscle mass.

Frankly, I think everyone is missing the point here. OP wants to get from 172 lbs. to 200 lbs. It doesn’t matter what accessory exercises he adds to the 5/3/1 template, he still needs to get his diet in check before he can expect to see decent gains.

OP, this is really quite simple. Stick to the 5/3/1 template the way it was written, and eat more good food. It works. It works well. And if you won’t take my word for it, then do a little searching on this site and you’ll find a myriad of folks who have had great success this way.