5/3/1 Getting Out of Control?

I feel like 531 has evolved, but has stayed true to its principles. Start too light, progress slow. Be consistent.

Pretty much all 531 programs follow the same thing:

1. Mobility work with jumps/throws.
  2. Main lift(s) using 531 progression.
  3. Supplemental work chosen based on main lift(s)/goals.
  4. Assistance work based mainly on the supplement volume, and also your goals/preferences.

I really don’t see how that is gimmicky or complicated. Sure, he has come up with variations where the main lift is done using only “sets of 5” rather than the original PR’s. Also, Jim has also been using more super-sets where assistance is done between main lifts and supplemental work. To me, this makes 531 better and more versatile for the long haul.

All that said, if you don’t like it, don’t do it. There are plenty of programs on this site and others that are not my cup of tea, but rather than disparaging them I simply choose not to do them.

This is a pretty silly topic.

5 Likes

531 is pretty damn simple. This is my favorite part of it:

6 Likes

I’ve used both as means of training and can see perks in both. I don’t see an issue of different templates with 5/3/1. I mean the forever book isn’t really an expansion on the program as it follows the basic rules. Start low, pregress slow use the big lifts. It’s basically a book of training templates for you to do. Some of those template still contain amrap set, drop set for volume, heavy singles etc. all just tools and ways to use them.

I mean if we follow Louie Simmons westside method from how they ran it for geared lifters, we’d be doing ME good morning variations 60% of the time. I don’t see many raw lifters doing anything like that.

Point being training methods evolve and it’s a good thing.

Not allowing your programming/training to evolve over time because “this is my method and I’m sticking to it” would be stupid, eventually you will realize that certain things work better than others and if you are coaching a whole bunch of people there are many more variables to consider. Sure you have people like Ed Coan who found one setup that worked and didn’t significantly change anything over the years but those people are one in a million.

1 Like

The only real thing that has changed with 5/3/1 is breaking up PR sets with 5s pro cycles. So running a few cycles of 5s pro with 5x5 FSL followed by a cycle of PR sets with lower supplemental. That’s literally the only thing different.

All the templates are there to make the program SIMPLER. You know how many questions Jim gets here alone about how to train? With Forever, a newer trainee has no reason to not know how to train because everything is laid out in 3-6 week cycles and set up for certain goals. If you’re an advanced guy Forever is still viable due to the growth shown in Jim and his writing as well as more ideas for your training.

The core principals are still the same and have never strayed from the OG book. I know someone else posted a few videos from the most recent table talk, but I’d listen to the entire 3 hours as well as his siminars and original podcasts and tel me if the core ideas are any different across them.

2 Likes

Man I’ve been listening through that podcast bit by bit and it is QUALITY

2 Likes

“What do you think about Bret Contreras talking negatively about your training?”

“I don’t give a f**k: we average 470 rushing yards a game”

What a fantastic answer.

8 Likes

Does anyone here incorporate “strongman” type training in their 5/3/1? I usually like to use this kind of stuff and want to use it on a regular training day. I have access to farmers walk, tractor tire flip, sand bags, rope pulls. Would you tend to use this on a Leader or Anchor? thanks

I used 5/3/1 for a lot of my strongman programming.

Tractor tire and sandbags can be supplemental work for squats or deadlifts, depending on how you use them, or use them for conditioning work.

Rope work and farmers would be your upper back work, or again, conditioning work.

Dude, I felt this years ago. Wendler is the classic internet snake oil salesman.

What did Bret say about jim? Just curious that’s all.

There’s a whole 531 strongman article on elitefts. I can’t remember the author. I want to say kalle beck but I could be wrong.

In what way? If you’re going to throw this kind of thing out there, probably better have some reasoning to back it up.

3 Likes

On elitefts,

Chase Karnes has written a 5/3/1 based strongman program. I believe Chase has asked Jim if he can write about how he uses 5/3/1 and it has been endorsed.

Aaron Moody has written a 5/3/1 for strongman variant. Which is BBB with exercise variations for strongman and events added. Unknown to Jim, I believe.

I would rate both these programs as Out of Control

1 Like

Chase was the one I was thinking of

I think the OP may have a point. I came down this morning and there were feathers all over the garden. I think it could be 5/3/1 having run amok and killed a blackbird.

3 Likes

This can’t be true. I’ve heard 5/3/1 is too slow to catch a bird.

1 Like

It’s all hearsay but you know the Syrian war was supposedly started by the Arab Spring demonstrations…(taps nose)

I feel like that would be funny if I was smart enough to get the joke.