T Nation

5/3/1 Frequency Question

With the 5/3/1 program, has anyone ever tried a higher frequency of it per week? I.e Back/Chest Mon + Thurs, Shoulders/Legs Tue + Fri? Or is this, well, basically a stupid question lol?

With the 5/3/1 program, you purchase the eBook, read it and follow the program.

It’s not a stupid question, it sounds more like you are just not thinking before asking or you haven’t read it.

[quote]JFG wrote:
With the 5/3/1 program, you purchase the eBook, read it and follow the program.

It’s not a stupid question, it sounds more like you are just not thinking before asking or you haven’t read it.

[/quote]

I’ve read the E-book, and from what I can see there is nothing beyond 4 day/week. I’m also Kind of curious if anyone else has tried it with a higher frequency, or at least what they would do if they were to try it. I assume it would entail not maxing out as much and a little less assistance work.

I’m curious about the duration of the cycle, because it’s easy to work out how to up the frequency with less assistance work, but what about each cycles duration. Do you jump from the 3x5’s to 3x3’s in the first week or would you do the 3x5’s twice in the same week and keep the whole cycle to 4 weeks?

It sounds like I’m trying to complicate a simple program but truthfully I’m just interested to see if it’s something people have tried or if it’s already been discussed as a no go.

Then, look up the 2 day a week template. The only difference is that he wants to do it twice a week.

IMO, if you have enough energy to do that twice a week, you should first look into your intensity.

“Not maxing out as much”??? That’s the point of the program. Reaching PR’s, thinking long term, pushing as many reps as possible on the last set… As for less assistance work, well, you will hurt your progress in the long run.

Nothing wrong with, just don’t call it 5/3/1. Do it for six month, let us know how it went for you.

If you want high frequency, you should check out the fullbody variation. ( the weekly volum stays pretty much the same thou and it is only 3 x a week )

http://www.T-Nation.com/strength-training-topics/1316

^ here is the livespill where wendlers lays it out.

Good luck.

Have you gotten the second version? I’m pretty sure there was a template that have you squatting 6x a week or something like that

[quote]JFG wrote:
Then, look up the 2 day a week template. The only difference is that he wants to do it twice a week.

IMO, if you have enough energy to do that twice a week, you should first look into your intensity.

“Not maxing out as much”??? That’s the point of the program. Reaching PR’s, thinking long term, pushing as many reps as possible on the last set… As for less assistance work, well, you will hurt your progress in the long run.

Nothing wrong with, just don’t call it 5/3/1. Do it for six month, let us know how it went for you.[/quote]

That’s true, I was just wondering. Obviously Jim Wendler can make a better program than I can.

[quote]Doh wrote:
Have you gotten the second version? I’m pretty sure there was a template that have you squatting 6x a week or something like that[/quote]
Yes, there is indeed a program called More Squatting on page 84 of 5/3/1 Second Edition.

It has you squatting Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. With no lifting over the weekend.

It looks like something you could run for a couple of months to shock your body into progress.

Wendler says:

Monday
Deadlift 531
Squat 5 x 10 @ 50%
Assistance Lifts
BB Rows 4 x 10
Lat pull down 4 x 10
Biâ??s DB Curls 4 x 10
Chins 3 x 8
Incline Walk 15 mins

Tuesday
Bench 531
Press 5 x 10 @ 50%
Assistance Lifts
Incline 4 x 10
Weighted Dips 4 x 10
Skull Crushers 4 x 10
Incline Walk 15 mins

Wednesday â?? HIIT

Thursday
Press 531
Bench 5 x 10 @ 50%
Assistance Lifts
Front Raises 4 x 10
Side Raises 4 x 10
Shrugs 4 x 10
Triâ??s Rope 4 x 10
Incline Walk 15 mins

Friday
Squat 531
Deadlift 5 x 10 @ 50%
Assistance Lifts
Leg Press 4 x 10
Calf Raises 3 x 20
Biâ??s BB Curl 4 x 10

If you wanted to add frequency to your main lifts would a program like this work or does it look like overkill? At least it gets the main lifts working twice a week. It’s what I plan on having a go with after I’m done with my HST system in a couple weeks.

How is that frequency? I just see more volume.\

If you’re talking about Squat with DL as BBB and vice versa then that is fine. It is common and it has been addressed by JW before.