5/3/1 for MMA and Boxing

5/3/1, MMA and Boxing log

Tomorrow is my third week of my first cycle of 5/3/1 . Below are the supplements I am currently using:

• ZMA
  • Melatonin
  • Niacin
  • Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA)
  • Gluatmine
  • Beta Alanine
  • Fish Oil
  • Calcium Citrate
  • Vitamin D3
  • B100
  • Opti-Men
  • Whey Protein

I usually take Creatine for 3 months on and 3 months off. I’m currently off.

I have ordered ETS Recovery by At Large Nutrition on back order.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Box Jumps
Set 1 - 3 reps
Set 2 - 3 reps
Set 3 - 3 reps

Deadlift 5/3/1
Set 1 - 245 x 3
Set 2 - 305 x 5
Set 3 - 345 x 3
Set 4 - 385 x 1

Weighted Hyperextensions
Set 1 - 60 x 12
Set 2 - 60 x 12
Set 3 - 60 x 12
Set 4 - 60 x 12
Set 5 - 60 x 12

Core Circuit
Set 1 - Ab Roller x 10, Medicine Ball Punches x 20, Plank x 45 sec., Land Swimming x 20 sec.
Set 2 - Ab Roller x 10, Medicine Ball Punches x 20, Plank x 45 sec., Land Swimming x 20 sec.

Moderate Paced Running
1 mile in 12:32
1.04 miles in 13:32

Notes
This was my morning lifting workout. I have boxing training in the evening.

[quote]precisionxy wrote:
Tomorrow is my third week of 5/3/1. Below are the supplements I am currently using:

• ZMA
  • Melatonin
  • Niacin
  • Gluatmine
  • Beta Alanine
  • Fish Oil
  • Calcium Citrate
  • Vitamin D3

I have ordered ETS Recovery by At Large Nutrition on back order.[/quote]
ETS is great stuff

[quote]krazylarry wrote:

[quote]precisionxy wrote:
Tomorrow is my third week of 5/3/1. Below are the supplements I am currently using:

• ZMA
  • Melatonin
  • Niacin
  • Gluatmine
  • Beta Alanine
  • Fish Oil
  • Calcium Citrate
  • Vitamin D3

I have ordered ETS Recovery by At Large Nutrition on back order.[/quote]
ETS is great stuff[/quote]

I can’t wait for the next shipment to come in.

Monday, March 18, 2013

Boxing
3 x 4 minute rounds of jump-rope
3 x 4 minute rounds of mitts without rest between rounds
4 x 3 minute rounds of double-end-bag
2 x 3 minute rounds of heavy bag
3 x 3 minute rounds of ab work

Wednesday, March 20th

Plyometric Pushups
Set 1 - 5 reps each side
Set 2 - 5 reps each side
Set 3 - 5 reps each side

Overhead Press 5/3/1
Set 1 - 45 x 3
Set 2 - 95 x 5
Set 3 - 115 x 3
Set 4 - 125 x 1

Dips
Set 1 - 15 reps
Set 2 - 15 reps
Set 3 - 15 reps
Set 4 - 10 reps
Set 5 - 10 reps

Pullups
Set 1 - 10 reps
Set 2 - 8 reps
Set 3 - 8 reps
Set 4 - 7 reps
Set 5 - 7 reps

Notes
Morning workout. Boxing coming up in the evening

In. Looking forward to following along.

I box and lift, too. I think to a certain extent they compliment each other but have you ever found that the bigger your arms and shoulders get, the more lactic acid builds up in them when you hold your guard?

Wednesday, March 20th

3 rounds of jump-rope
7 rounds of heavy bag (light punches focused on technique)
4 rounds of mitts and sprawls without rest between rounds
4 rounds of parry punches (jab focused)
2 rounds of double-end-bag
1 round of ab work

[quote]Jaice wrote:
In. Looking forward to following along.

I box and lift, too. I think to a certain extent they compliment each other but have you ever found that the bigger your arms and shoulders get, the more lactic acid builds up in them when you hold your guard? [/quote]

I appreciate the follow. I started boxing last month and completely stopped any shoulder work (overhead press and benching were abandoned in my lifting). Today was my first time doing any shoulder work since I started boxing. I was surprised to find out that my shoulder strength is still the same.

Today I went lifting in the morning and boxed in the evening. I did notice I had difficulty in keeping my guard up. This is attributed to the heavy overhead pressing I did earlier today. I’ll continue to monitor how my guard is effected after overhead pressing. If the unusual shoulder fatigue kicks in when I am boxing as a result of the overhead pressing, then I’ll drop the lift.

Friday, March 22nd

• 3 rounds of jump-rope
  • 2 rounds of light sparring (focused on slipping punches and jabbing)
  • 4 rounds of moderate paced sparring with no rest between the 1st and 2nd round (focused on pivoting, slipping, jabbing to the stomach, and cross)
  • 3 rounds of heavy bag
  • 3 rounds of double-end-bag
  • 2 rounds of speed bag
  • 3 rounds of mitt work without rest between 1st and 2nd round. I finished the 3rd round with 20 sprawls.
  • 1 round of ab work

Weighed in at 206lbs tonight. My short-term goal is to hit 200lbs very soon and long-term goal is to make 185lbs.

Sunday, March 24th

Squats 5/3/1
Set 1 - 180 x 3
Set 2 - 225 x 5
Set 3 - 255 x 3
Set 4 - 275 x 1

RDL
Set 1 - 135 x 8
Set 2 - 225 x 8
Set 3 - 225 x 8

Interval Running (30-90 seconds rest after each 1/2 mile)
1 mile in 11:58
1.5 miles in 18:52
2 miles in 26:00
2.02 miles in 26:32

Notes
I overestimated my current squat max for this cycle. I used 305 as my max on the 5/3/1 calculator. I will readjust my squat max for the next cycle by using 295 as my new max. I did 275 x 1 today and felt my max would have been 285.

I will begin running around the race track instead of a treadmill. The weather is improving and running outside > treadmill. My goal is to run 1 mile in 6 minutes and 1.5 miles in 10 minutes.

This upcoming week is de-load week. I will use this week to: estimate my 1RM on the Flat DB Bench, improve my cardio via running and conditioning drills.

Sick as a dog today. Will rest up. Looking to get back in the gym on Wednesday.

Wednesday, March 27th

3 rounds of jump-rope
4 rounds of double-end-bag
3 rounds of mitts without rest between rounds
3 rounds of mitts and sprawls with rest between rounds
4 rounds of heavy bag

Notes
Felt great today. This is my deload week of 5/3/1 and I think the time away from weights has helped the speed of my punches and my footwork. For this deload week of 5/3/1, I am probably not going to lift in order to focus on skill work and conditioning.

I will max out on the deadlift on Thursday, April 18th and on the squat on Sunday, April 20th to find out what my true max should be for my next 5/3/1 cycle.

Friday, March 29th

3 rounds of jump-rope
4 rounds of heavy bag
2 rounds of double-end bag
6 rounds of sparring

Notes
I had no idea I would be sparring today. My trainer came in after I finished working on the double-end-bag and asked if I wanted to spar. I said yes. This was my first time sparring. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot about myself and my sparring partner. I’m a southpaw, 6 feet and hover between 205-210, and my sparring partner has an orthodox stance at 5’9, 145lbs. He had the speed and footwork advantage. I pressed the action forward throughout all 6 rounds and really kept the pressure on him, forcing him to stop numerous times to ask for a breather because he was extremely tired. On my end, I have a lot to improve upon such as the following:

• my head movement needs work and I need to do a better job of protecting my body from punches. I got caught with at least three solid right crosses and two body shots

• My stance needs to be less squared to protect my body from those body shots.

• My technique on my combos needs to improve, too.

• I had a significant reach advantage and definitely need to utilize more of my reach advantage.

• My right hand (jabbing hand) must stay up when I throw it and the left cross. I noticed I have a tendency of letting it go down.

• I got caught a few times by my sparring partners combos while he was in the pocket and I stood there, instead of pivoting out as he was throwing combos.

• Counter punching efficiency would have been an effective tool when my sparring partner was throwing his combos.

• I should dedicate my efforts more towards the body, too.

Since I have not been weight lifting this week, I noticed I have better endurance and technique during my boxing training. Not lifting weights could be helping me or maybe my endurance is showing greater improvement.

Monday, April 1st

Squats 3 x 5
Set 1 - 120 x 5
Set 2 - 190 x 5
Set 3 - 220 x 5
Set 4 - 255 x 5

DB Reverse Lunges
Set 1 - 70 x 8
Set 2 - 70 x 6
Set 3 - 70 x 6

RDL
Set 1 - 135 x 8
Set 2 - 185 x 8
Set 3 - 225 x 8

Notes
Weighed in at 210lbs. Short-term goal is 200lbs, long-term goal is 185lbs.

Tuesday, April 2nd

1 hour of grappling

1 hour of MMA

Wednesday, April 3rd

1 mile in 8:08

1.5 miles in 13:14

Wednesday, April 3rd

2 rounds of jump-rope
5 rounds dedicated to footwork and various combinations
5 rounds of mitt work
5 rounds of heavy bag emphasis on jab
3 rounds of uppercut bag
2 rounds of double-end-bag
2 rounds of speed bag

Notes
By far the toughest boxing workout I’ve had. I am working now with a new boxing trainer who solely focuses on fighters, so I think working with him is a step in the right direction.

Also, I had planned to lift today but after the roadwork and boxing, I’m beat, L-O-L. Lifting weights is supplemental work to aid my skill development in fighting.