5/3/1 for Hypertrophy

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
hey bblb, I was there too haha (if you are talking about the most recent one).[/quote]

Yeah, I think I met you there, you were doing Olympic lifting if I’m correct. I’m for sure I met you there though.

I need to make a stop at that restaurant we ate at for lunch…the sweet potatao fries were off the chain!!!

Oh shit yeah dude I remember you… yeah those sweet potaters… damn what was that place called?

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
I don’t understand why people use non-bodybuilding programs for bodybuilding. It’s the strangest thing. And it’s so surprising to me that I addressed it in my Bodybuilding Bible thread several times. [/quote]

No one said it was optimal. But for people who would like to make a compromise and steadily improve on the 4 main lifts of 5/3/1 while still getting huge, it’s definitely doable.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
I don’t understand why people use non-bodybuilding programs for bodybuilding. It’s the strangest thing. And it’s so surprising to me that I addressed it in my Bodybuilding Bible thread several times. [/quote]

I would echo what Brick is saying here.

Although I do think that setting up a training routine like…

Day 1 Squat (thighs/calves)
Day 2 Bench (chest/triceps)
Day 3 Deadlift (back/biceps)
Day 4 Military press (shoulders/traps)

… is a good idea (it’s very traditional, and it’s the basic template I always follow), obviously for bodybuilding the purpose isn’t to increase those 4 lifts only, but rather to use them (or variations) as the staple mass builders.

Umm I’ve been dieting, I lift 5 days a week and some of my numbers were going down. I hopped on 5/3/1 percentges for my main lifts and followed this program in regard to the weight increases each week, not the split or accessory work… Not only have I been hitting PRs every week, I feel like I’m growing too. I do a lot of work in the gym. I do not see how trying to get stronger, ramping the weights to one all out set on a lift would not coincide with bodybuilding.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

Not sure why it’s such a huge thing as to why a program cant be catered to bodybuilding purposes. While a bodybuilding program is great, it’s not the end all be all to hypertrophy.

And who doe’s not want to be big and strong, most bodybuilding programs only emphasize aesthetics(the primary purpose of the program) but I want some strength behind the size. Exceptions to the rule are all over.

Who said bodybuilding programs had to be absolute.

Alright, I’ll put things more accurately. I PERSONALLY believe that a bodybuilding program is the be-all-end-all program for getting big. After all, the sole purpose of a bodybuilding program is to get as big as possible - not some hybrid routine in which you get a bit of strength and a bit of size.

No one says people have to specialize - ESPECIALLY people on this board, all of whom will never earn a living from either powerlifting or bodybuilding. As I wrote in my Bodybuilding Bible thread, I used to train with a Westside program for 6 months of the year, and a bodybuilding program for the other 6 months. But when I was on a Westside program, I didn’t make any adjustments that made it more “bodybuilderesque”. I have stated before that in the first 6 months of trying WSB, I made remarkable gains in SIZE and strength. It’s far from a optimal for bodybuilding though.

All programs reach a limit in some way, shape or form. I think when we think in terms of bodybuilding, are we talking competitive or recreational(big difference) Would I ever use 5/3/1 in a precontest setting. Even though I like it, I would have to ditch it or not use it at all. For the guy who wants muscle, like I said, use the main movements outlined in the book, and make a bodypart split.

Honestly, there is nothing new under the sun in regards to putting on size, it all comes down to basic movements, and good diet, and emphasis on recovery.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

Actually, to me, your thread was awesome (shouldn’t be new to you) :wink:

But, as school takes over and certain stressors arise, I just want to get in the gym, do my shit, get out, and get stronger over time. Yes, that also means my goals have changed.

I haven’t been able to increase any lift in weeks, probably because I always feel compelled to increase weight at every session. I know its unrealistic, but its the OCD in me :stuck_out_tongue: (literally).

So, I’ve turned to 5/3/1 and see how that goes.

[quote]bblb wrote:

Honestly, there is nothing new under the sun in regards to putting on size, it all comes down to basic movements, and good diet, and emphasis on recovery.[/quote]

… and isolation exercises.

[quote]forbes wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

But, as school takes over and certain stressors arise, I just want to get in the gym, do my shit, get out, and get stronger over time. Yes, that also means my goals have changed.

I haven’t been able to increase any lift in weeks, probably because I always feel compelled to increase weight at every session. I know its unrealistic, but its the OCD in me :stuck_out_tongue: (literally).

So, I’ve turned to 5/3/1 and see how that goes. [/quote]

You should be able to get in and out of the gym quick with a BBing routine (doesn’t PX only take about 40 mins per session?) , so I don’t see that as a problem. In fact, PERSONALLY, if I do deadlifts (or a big lift like that) it tends to take up more time than I would spend doing a different exercise, so my sessions are actually longer! I don’t know anything about 5/3/1 but I’m guessing it involves squatting and/or deadlifting quite frequently.

If your goal is now just to get really strong in a few select lifts (“the main ones”) then fair enough, do 5/3/1, but if you haven’t been able to increase some lifts in a few weeks, then there could be a whole bunch of reasons. I personally think switching to an entirely different routine is a bit extreme - I am in the school of making small adjustments.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]bblb wrote:

Honestly, there is nothing new under the sun in regards to putting on size, it all comes down to basic movements, and good diet, and emphasis on recovery.[/quote]

… and isolation exercises. [/quote]

Depends on the movement…crossovers to me are a waste of time. I’d rather do flyes and pose, while you can get big bi’s from concentration curls…but thats me…dont take it for truth

[quote]babaganoosh wrote:

[quote]forbes wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

So, I’ve turned to 5/3/1 and see how that goes. [/quote]

You should be able to get in and out of the gym quick with a BBing routine (doesn’t PX only take about 40 mins per session?) , so I don’t see that as a problem. In fact, PERSONALLY, if I do deadlifts (or a big lift like that) it tends to take up more time than I would spend doing a different exercise, so my sessions are actually longer! I don’t know anything about 5/3/1 but I’m guessing it involves squatting and/or deadlifting quite frequently.

If your goal is now just to get really strong in a few select lifts (“the main ones”) then fair enough, do 5/3/1, but if you haven’t been able to increase some lifts in a few weeks, then there could be a whole bunch of reasons. I personally think switching to an entirely different routine is a bit extreme - I am in the school of making small adjustments.[/quote]

Yes, my goals have changed (for now).

But I’m not changing my routine entirely. I have always included those 4 lifts in my sessions (well not in one session). Its mainly my focus on those exercises specifically that has changed. And again, 5/3/1 can be incorporated into a bodybuilding routine. There are many ways to do so. I still plan on working arms, calves, traps etc directly. The only thing thats changing is the setup of those 4 exercises.

I used 5/3/1 for bench and front squat. Two exercises that I need to get a lot stronger on. I have been doing this for a few months now with steady progress and strength/weight gains.

Here is how my chest and triceps workout went yesterday using 5/3/1. I do chest in the afternoon, triceps at night.

Barbell Bench Using 5/3/1 Percentages
Inclines, ramping up to the heaviest weight I can do for 4-5 reps.
Weighted chest dips, ramping up to the heaviest weight I can do for 8 reps.
Incline Flys, ramping up to a tope set of 15-20

Break

Triceps

Paused Pin Press, working up to a heavy triple.
Tricep dips across two benches, work up to a weight where I ramp to 12 reps.
DB Oh Ext. or Pushdowns, ramp to a set of 8-12.

This is how every Wednesday looks, 5/3/1 is only on bench. I want the biggest possible bench as soon as possible and a huge chest as well, I think the way this is setup is extremely conducive to both.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Here is how my chest and triceps workout went yesterday using 5/3/1. I do chest in the afternoon, triceps at night.

Barbell Bench Using 5/3/1 Percentages
Inclines, ramping up to the heaviest weight I can do for 4-5 reps.
Weighted chest dips, ramping up to the heaviest weight I can do for 8 reps.
Incline Flys, ramping up to a tope set of 15-20

Break

Triceps

Paused Pin Press, working up to a heavy triple.
Tricep dips across two benches, work up to a weight where I ramp to 12 reps.
DB Oh Ext. or Pushdowns, ramp to a set of 8-12.

This is how every Wednesday looks, 5/3/1 is only on bench. I want the biggest possible bench as soon as possible and a huge chest as well, I think the way this is setup is extremely conducive to both. [/quote]

For tris and in repetition work with extensions. The heavy work on the percentages is good enough. Remember to not break yourself with the assistance work. Tricep dip can be replaced with db extensions. Emphasize your food intake also

[quote]forbes wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:

[quote]ATPsynth wrote:
Anyone using the 5/3/1 for hypertrophy? I know a lot of power lifters are using it and I am curious as if it is a good program for bodybuilding as well. I’ve read the 5/3/1 book but it talks very little about muscle growth apart from suggesting you carefully decided proper acessory exercises to promote muscle building. [/quote]
yeah I am, I’m about to start Cycle 6 in about a week and am still going off of CC’s template. You can divvy it up with a body part split, or like me and just go with a standard upper/lower.

i.e.

Day 1
5/3/1 MP
Chest
Lat width
Triceps (some type of press)
Abs, external rotation work, whatever

Day 2
5/3/1 DL
Biceps
Quad-focused movement (single-leg work, hack squat, leg press, etc)
Hams (optional, but something like back extensions, GHR, various leg curls, etc)
Abs, whatever

Day 3
5/3/1 BP
Upper chest or shoulders work (anything from incline bench to lateral raises)
Back thickness
Triceps (some type of pulldown or another press)
Abs, external rotation, whatever

Day 4
5/3/1 Squat
Biceps/brachialis (hammer curls, pin wheels, etc)
Hamstring movement (rom DLs, etc)
Quad movement as above (optional)
Abs

Not optimal since you are constrained to one bang-for-your-buck exercise for some muscles 1-2x a week, but most would be better off this way with 5/3/1 so you don’t overdo the volume. This split is quite effective though. My best gains have come from it.[/quote]

On average how long are your workouts? And how do you set up sets/reps for accessory work?[/quote]

one hour, start to finish, including warm ups. I do 5/3/1 plus the assistance exercises that I like for each day. Normally for the assistance stuff, I set a 25 or 30 rep goal, use a weight that I can do for about 10-12 on the first set, and do sets until i hit the goal number of reps.

by the time 60 minutes is up, I’m wasted. I rest between sets just long enough to feel like I am ready to do another set. sometimes it’s 30 seconds, sometimes it’s 120, depending on the exercise and how wasted I am.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]bblb wrote:

I use to be a big fan of isolation exercises. I did all kinds of them for my first few years training. I can honestly say it got me nowhere.

The last year I have been concentrating on getting more weight on the bar on deadlifts, squats, bench and MP. My strength and size gains have gone up more in the last 6 months of training then my first 3 years doing isolation exercies. I am sure this style of traing is way better for the average guy.

The only thing I dont like about the program on here is chest on monday? Come on do someting harder deads or squats use way more muscle then bench. Should be doing either one of those while your fresh on monday.

[quote]lens_d wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]bblb wrote:

I use to be a big fan of isolation exercises. I did all kinds of them for my first few years training. I can honestly say it got me nowhere.

The last year I have been concentrating on getting more weight on the bar on deadlifts, squats, bench and MP. My strength and size gains have gone up more in the last 6 months of training then my first 3 years doing isolation exercies. I am sure this style of traing is way better for the average guy. [/quote]

What else did you do besides isolation exercises?

Like, for example, show us what a chest workout looked like.

Getting as big as possible is a matter of doing isolation and compound exercises.