5/3/1 for Hardgainers Submitted

Do the rest pause while keeping the bar on your back. That was how it was done under the original 20 rep squats routine.

A helpful psychological trick is to count backwards with 5s rather than up to 20. “5,4,3,2,1,5,4,3,2,1” etc. It’s just easier to wrap your brain around “only 4 more until I hit 1” vs “Jesus Christ I have 9 more reps until 20”. Something Dan John talked about.

5 Likes

thanks to both of you for the replies.

I actually JUST did this workout like an hour ago. The 70% widowmaker set was definitely a challenge, but as others said just ‘rest’ with that bar on your back. I was not enjoying it and trust me that I WANTED to rack it, but I was able to force out the last few reps.

I"m going to try this for sure, the widowmaker sets require all the mental help you can get!

1 Like

Today I finished 6th week of 5/3/1 for Hardgainers, and I was able to get 20 reps on all six weeks, but it was veeeery challenging, which I like it. :smiley: And these psychological tricks with counting are extremely helpful, my recommendations.

ive found that after the 15th rep its all mental. dont really feel the legs anymore at that point and take one rep at the time. on a side note my glutes have not been this sore since i started 5/3/1 about 6 months ago.

1 Like

Jim,

Can i incorporate Power Cleans or Hang Cleans into the 5/3/1 hardgainer template? i was thinking on doing them before Squats (as suggested in the 5/3/1 book). if so, should i use it as an accessory lift with a 5x5 rep scheme with a 60-70-80% TM or should i train it as a stand alone 5/3/1 lift before 5/3/1 squats? or should i not do cleans with this template at all? Thank you!

It’s not part of the program. Do the program.

Alright thanks. I appreciate the time u take to respond.

@Jim_Wendler considering the BBB as part of 531 Hardgainer instead of the prescribed assistance work, acceptable or nay? Trying to bulk as well as gain strength…
thanks

@kobraki
Read Jim’s response two entries above your question.

I would either try it and see, or don’t. I definitely wouldn’t ask Him when a few posts above he literally said just do the program. How many cycles of Hardgainers have you ran as written?

@oldbeancam @believer423 thanks for the input, although I thought it was a pretty good question He can answer for a # of reasons. First of all His response 2 entries above was to a question about Power Cleans or Hang Cleans which are exercises found nowhere in any 531 routine(as far as I know). Secondly, the BBB option is in the original 531 Program and Hardgainers specifically states “standard 5/3/1 rules apply”…
I’ve trained several different ways in the past 15 years and after a few cycles of the Hardgainers I’m leaning toward wanting more hypertrophy-which from what I’ve read the BBB is intended for.

This. You aren’t going to know what works for you if you don’t try it. I have tweaked and played with 5/3/1 more times than I can count, yet always end up reverting back to the template as written. Why? Because Jim knows more about programming than I do. I’m not going to sit here and say I wish I had just kept to the program exactly as written the entire time because I would not have learned what works and what doesn’t. I know which of his templates work better for me than others and what tweaks I can get away with when I want some change to the program.

I would encourage people to change it, come to their own conclusions (without pestering Jim for approval) and stop it if it doesn’t work or continue if it does.

Just FYI, I’m currently doing the 5/3/1 Young Jim Template and it has Power Cleans prescribed.

You are completely taking this quote out of context.
“Progression and Notes
Standard 5/3/1 rules apply: Your TM increases 5 or 10 pounds after each cycle.”

He doesn’t speak to the assistance with this statement.

So you’re asking if you can do the 5x10 BBB sets AFTER you have completed the widowmaker set for squat or AFTER your 5x5 for bench/dead?
Hmmm…I would expect recovery issues with this route.

Go BBB or Hardgainers IMO.

1 Like

BBB is supplemental work, not assistance. We made this change 5 years ago or so - just a matter of getting the names correct.

BBB is not part of the Hardgainer program. I’m not sure where this was not clear but every lift has it’s own supplemental program. So why would you do ANOTHER supplemental program AFTER the main lift and FULL SUPPLEMENTAL program?

I’m very, very, VERY confused because I thought the program was VERY straightforward.

Please let me know where this is not clear so I can better write programs for people and make it more user-friendly. I’m serious too because I’m beyond frustrated at how people can misinterpret what I write.

Thanks for the help,

Jim Wendler

4 Likes

BBB is not in the standard 5/3/1. BBB is a template derived from the original program as is Hardgainers. Mixing the two would be combining programs. Something Jim generally frowns upon. This is why I said to try it and see. Its written in the bible that you shouldn’t get pregnant out of wedlock or indulge in alcohol, but yet countless of “good upstanding christian men and women” do these things. So I’m pretty sure if their God is against it and they still do it, you’ll still do BBB if Jim says not to if you are thinking about running it. Also, power cleans and cleans in general are in countless 5/3/1 programs, so I suggest going back and reading all the books again mayne

Just saw Jim relplied. Fuck

@Jim_Wendler
I’m a professional proofreader and would gladly assist you if needed. I don’t go on forums looking for work but, if you need help in proofreading and clarity, I’m your man.

actually BBB is stated in the original program under Assistance work:
“There are a number of ways to do assistance work: Boring But Big (my version of a hypertrophy program), The Triumvirate (shown below), and my favorite, I’m Not Doing Jack Shit, named for those times when you only have time to hit the PR in your key lift and leave.”
What am I missing?

The entire point. Did you read Jim’s response?

This is not the same as adding it to the Hardgainer’s program.

Come on man, people are trying to help here. You’re lucky you have been given the patience you already have because this is some pretty basic shit… especially considering:

1 Like

@littlesleeper easy bro I was responding to @oldbeancam for a simple statement he made. This is a forum correct? questions and answers are welcome I assume? and given patience? This is my 3rd post EVER on this site. People like you with the types of posts you make are probably the reason Jim gets frustrated. I asked Him a question with a simple Yay or Nay and now you have to go off on a tangent. It seems like you expect everyone on this site to read every piece of material ever written before asking a question…

1 Like