5-3-1 for Football Question

I’ve got the book.
The temple he shares in the book is on a 3 day split.
Some other people I see post their workouts and I see they give each of the core lifts their own day.

Is it ok to pair the core lifts up on a 4 day split?

Monday - Bench and Squat + w.e assistance
Tuesday- Push Press and Dead Lift + w.e assistance
Wed. Farmer Walk, Tire Flipping, SledPulling/ stadiums
Thursday - repeat
Friday - repeat

Look alright?

im pretty sure this is too much…each one of the lifts is supposed to have their own day. you are not going to be able to bench and squat heavy one day and then push press and deadlift heavy the next day all while doing assistance work.

do bench pushpress squat and dead on seperate days without doing two upper or lower days in a row and either do conditioning at the end of your workout or move it to a different day on saturdays or sundays

for example
mon pushpress assistance
tue dead assistance
thur bench assistance
fri squat plus assistnace

read the article wendler just published

I did. Have you read his 5/3/1 for football book? Look at the template he gives… he pairs the core lifts.

Even with the lifts in pairs, does he do them both twice per week? I don’t have the 5/3/1 football book, but I’m pretty sure the answer is no. Do the template as written. He hade it that way for a reason.

I would follow the template verbatim practically if I wasn’t required to be in the weight room after school for football 4 days out of my 5 day week. Do you see what I’m saying. I’d rather not follow the bull shit routine and programing of my school because wendler’s stuff is proven to work. So I’m trying to figure out how to incorpate 5/3/1 into a 4 day split or at least follow a routine that specializes on squats and dead lifts for football…

now do you understand why I’m asking the question? lol

[quote]Chase44 wrote:
I would follow the template verbatim practically if I wasn’t required to be in the weight room after school for football 4 days out of my 5 day week. Do you see what I’m saying. I’d rather not follow the bull shit routine and programing of my school because wendler’s stuff is proven to work. So I’m trying to figure out how to incorpate 5/3/1 into a 4 day split or at least follow a routine that specializes on squats and dead lifts for football…

now do you understand why I’m asking the question? lol[/quote]

Imo, this will lead to over-training. I say that by experience. Since playing football in a 1-A small school, I found out that my coaches werent too qualified in sports training. I tried to add in my own program after our team workout while aiming to go easy and light in the main workout. With all that said, my attempts failed in two ways. One is obvious over-training and two is coaches were fed up. I dont recommend trying to do such an aggressive workout.

lol you guy’s are taking everything I’m saying out of context. I wasn’t going to " do add my own stuff " after the workout with the team, i was simply just going to do the above ^ instead of the bs routine they might have for us all in the weight room… clearer?

lol you guy’s are taking everything I’m saying out of context. I wasn’t going to " do add my own stuff " after the workout with the team, i was simply just going to do the above ^ instead of the bs routine they might have for us all in the weight room… clearer?

Just do the regular 5-3-1…it is a 4 day split…then do your strongman/sport specific type stuff on one of the other days…

I’d look like:
M: Squat
Tu: Bench
We: sport specific
Th: deadlift
Fr: OHP

or am I missing something?

If you have to be there 4 days a week, then just do one core lift each day followed by assistance work for that lift. Doing all the core lifts twice in 5/3/1 fasshion per week is just too much. If you’re also doing strongman stuff and sled/stadium work then you have to take recovery into account.

No that look’s good if I go in on monday and I see my coach is going to have us on a upper body lower body split like that.

[quote]Chase44 wrote:
lol you guy’s are taking everything I’m saying out of context. I wasn’t going to " do add my own stuff " after the workout with the team, i was simply just going to do the above ^ instead of the bs routine they might have for us all in the weight room… clearer?[/quote]

Well if they actually allow you to do your own program then by Id def do something similar to what SRS said. I cant believe your coach is going to allow you to do your own thing.

[quote]farmerson12 wrote:

[quote]Chase44 wrote:
lol you guy’s are taking everything I’m saying out of context. I wasn’t going to " do add my own stuff " after the workout with the team, i was simply just going to do the above ^ instead of the bs routine they might have for us all in the weight room… clearer?[/quote]

Well if they actually allow you to do your own program then by Id def do something similar to what SRS said. I cant believe your coach is going to allow you to do your own thing. [/quote]

isn’t that what i said at the beginning of the thread?