T Nation

5/3/1 For Dummies - JT's Log

Hello
I thought I would give this log a try. I have been a lurker on this site for a couple of years now and appreciate everything have learned from the articles and the veterans on the boards. Hopefully, putting this log out in public will help motivate me to keep at it and at the same time allow others to get some ideas for workouts, critique my workouts or just generate discussions.

A little about me...I was a collegiate cross country and track athlete. Being a distance runner I had to stay very lean, at my peak condition I was around 135 lb. and 5% body fat. My PRs are Mile 4:23, 5K 15:27, 8K 26:08, 10K 33:20. Once I graduated college I was ready for a new challenge. I wanted to see if I could put on a few pounds of muscle and get a little stronger. My first obstacle was not being afraid to step into the weight room for the first time. I slowly got over my fear and within a year I had put on about 20 lbs and started feeling strong. From that point on I was hooked. Since I have started lifting I have gained about 75 lbs. and have lifted poundages I never thought I would ever be able to do.

When I first started physical changes happened quickly, so that was what motivated me at first. As I have gotten more experienced physical changes come much slower but I can still see progress in my strength. Even if it is one more rep or just a few more pounds...this keeps me motivated.

I have been doing 5/3/1 for the past 6 months or so. It is a simple program, which is a great thing in a world of information overload. I'm just a regular guy with kids (two boys age 1 and almost 3) a wife and a job. I just want to stay fit enough to kick my kids butt in football or basketball when they are older, look good for my wife (other ladies can look too) and be strong. 5/3/1 seems to have all these bases covered.

Stats
Ht: 5'9"
Wt: 210
BF: ? Prbly mid to upper teens

Maxes
Deadlift: 365 x 1
Overhead Press: 165 x 1
Squat: 275 x 4
Bench: 245 x 1

I'll try to add pics later.

Deadlift - Week 1 (11/29)

Jump Rope, Foam Rolling, etc.

Deadlift
WU 135 x 10
WU 155 x 5
WS 185 x 5
WS 215 x 5
WS 240 x 5 Reps Only
WS 315 x 1
WS 365 x 1 Sloppy form but no hitching
Was feeling pretty good today, so I decided to pull a couple singles.

GHR
3 x BW x 5
Started working out a gym that actually has an Glute-Ham machine = awesome. I had only done naturals before (with lots of assistance). These were tough and I def. feel it in my glutes and hams today.

Walking Lunge
30 lb. DBs
2 x 8 steps/leg

Sled Push (High Bar)
4 x 40m with 45 lbs.

Overhead Press - Week 1

Jump Rope

Overhead Press
WU 45 x 10
WU 55 x 5
WU 70 x 5
WU 85 x 3
WS 90 x 5
WS 105 x 5
WS 115 x 12

Superset
Dips: BW x 10, 8, 6, 6, 6 (36 total)
Chins: BW x 6, 5, 6, 4, 3 (24 total)

HS Row
2 x 70 x 15

EZ Curl
3 x 35 x 10

i was kinda thinking based on the thread name, you'd explain what a 5/3/1 is....