T Nation

5/3/1 for Caloric Deficit

Hi, I want to ask for your feedback.
The classic version of 5/3/1 can be run with a calorie deficit. However, I will keep my calories around - 20% most off balance. Also get at least 120 grams of protein. I also think to limit carbohydrates to 100-150 g at most. Recent studies have shown that there is no need for much more protein. Weighs 108 kg. 179 cm tall. I have not measured fat, but in general they are mostly around the breast and abdomen. The arms and legs are generally tight. However, I have accumulated more fat, which the body can use as energy for some time and the body does not feel hungry.
As the 5/3/1 increases the force slower I think I would have no problem applying it.
Has anyone done this program with a calorie deficit and what were its results. However, let us note that the increase in strength also affects the nervous system and the adaptation of the body.
What do you think. I will be glad to hear your views.

There are many variations of 531. None would be ideally run on a deficit, but that would be true of any strength building program. I would suggest you use a basic template like 5’s PRO’s with first set last 5x5. This means you do everything for 5 reps, then move back to the “first weight” and do 5 sets of 5 with that weight. I would superset 2 assistance exercises throughout. So, for squat day, you might rotate between pull ups and dips between each squat set. This helps for conditioning and fat loss.

1 Like

Do you mean krypteia? ??
The increase in strength is also related to the adaptation of the nervous system. Because of this, I thought that with my more fat%, as a start there is no obstacle to increasing my strength even if I am in calorie deficit.
Thanks for your opinion :slight_smile:

Well, the first cycles of krypteia are this, and then it goes to 5x10 as the supplement. Also, you really push the assistance (weighted pull ups, dips, etc…). I don’t think that would be doable in a calorie deficit, or at least thinking of myself having done the program.

1 Like

I would suggest a pr set for main work and an “easy” supplemental template, like FSL 5x5.
For assistance, I would keep the volume low-ish but you can push it close to failure. So 2-3 set of 2-3 exercises. Or the general recommendation of 25-50 reps for push, pull, and core/single leg.

The rationale is, when you’re in a caloric deficit you want to keep the volume low, especially on the hard stuff, while providing a sufficient stimulus to keep on your muscle and strength, or possibly even increase strength by realizing it (a realization phase is usually done through lower volume at higher intensities). A pr set is ideal in this regard because it’s hard but it’s just one set.

I got these ideas and the general paradigm from @T3hPwnisher, so credit goes to him for this.

1 Like

Is that what I mean, I’m not very familiar with the system and its variants. I’m familiar with the first 5/3/1
5 x 65%
5 x 75%
5+ x 85%
5 х 5 - 65%

3 х 70%
3 x 80%
3+ x 90%
5 х 5 - 70%

5 x 75%
3 x 85%
1+ x 95%
5 х 5 - 75%

1 Like

Yes that’s correct

1 Like

Thank you
Should I do are the exercises for additional work, as in the original program-two exercises for the day 5 x 10-15
And also to ask, those 5x5 what a break is made between the series

Hmm, no opinions on the matter, whether to do the accessories. Because the volume becomes even bigger 5x5 after the main series + accessories. In the original version you only have the main lift + accessories. And if you aim and burn fat, don’t come much. It doesn’t bother me, but it makes sense.

Hey OP,

Do you like conditioning?

Try the following - start with 85% TM

Krypteia
FSL 5x5 with Krypteia programming
BBBB with Krypteia programming

If you want to keep the strength, the strength and the diet purely from caloric intake:

FSL 5x5
WIdowmaker Circuit
PR Set

1 Like