5/3/1 for Block Periodization

Hey Jim and all,

First of all, thank you for your tremendous work in the 5/3/1 books; I have read and applied the principles in all of them (excluding version 2, I skipped right to “for powerlifting”) and have had great success with the method.

I like the ideas proposed in Beyond 5/3/1 for extending the cycles over several months while training different qualities. I would like to know if it would be realistic to manipulate the available 5/3/1 loading patterns into a program that would mimic block periodization.

An example program could look something like the following, whereas accumulation and transmutation could be repeated ad nauseam and the training maxes would increase every cycle as per 5/3/1’s guidelines:

Weeks 1-3, accumulation: 5/3/1+ including the “first set last” and top set for high reps; TM @85% - high-volume assistance
Weeks 4-6, transmutation: 5/3/1+ using pyramid loading; TM @90% - medium-volume assistance
Week 7: deload
Weeks 8-10, realization: 5/3/1+ training to doubles to singles at and above TM; paused bench; TM @90% - low-volume assistance
Week 11: deload
Week 12: meet/mock meet

Does this look like a viable means of periodizing 5/3/1 training, or does it defeat the purpose of the program?

Thanks in advance!

If you look at the half year plan that Jim put in the Beyond book, this is kind of what he did. I builds up with volume before moving into the jokers. I don’t see why this is a bad idea. This is the way I’ve done things for a while now but just haven’t ever thought of it as block periodization.

Maybe I’m talking about the same thing as AMeadows but… There is a BBB program that lasts like 20’ish weeks or something. It starts with BBB sets of 5x10 and ends with doing BBB at sets of 5 x 1. Jim also has talked about “never peaking again” training which would eliminate the need to train in specific blocks leading up to a meet. I can’t remember if it’s in the book or his website.

[quote]Jaynick77 wrote:
Maybe I’m talking about the same thing as AMeadows but… There is a BBB program that lasts like 20’ish weeks or something. It starts with BBB sets of 5x10 and ends with doing BBB at sets of 5 x 1. Jim also has talked about “never peaking again” training which would eliminate the need to train in specific blocks leading up to a meet. I can’t remember if it’s in the book or his website. [/quote]

The key to the “Never Peak Again” is building and finding the appropriate volume for each lift - and adjusting it over time. It takes time but can be worth it. And it takes care of any questions about what to do prior to a meet, etc.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

[quote]Jaynick77 wrote:
Maybe I’m talking about the same thing as AMeadows but… There is a BBB program that lasts like 20’ish weeks or something. It starts with BBB sets of 5x10 and ends with doing BBB at sets of 5 x 1. Jim also has talked about “never peaking again” training which would eliminate the need to train in specific blocks leading up to a meet. I can’t remember if it’s in the book or his website. [/quote]

The key to the “Never Peak Again” is building and finding the appropriate volume for each lift - and adjusting it over time. It takes time but can be worth it. And it takes care of any questions about what to do prior to a meet, etc.[/quote]

Thanks for the answer! I’ll do my best to keep working on optimizing my volume over time.