T Nation

5/3/1 for an Injured Man

hey, so my elbow still bothers me. but i want to try out 5/3/1 for strength. i did 2-3mths of WSFSB3 and it has definitely made me stronger. but as the main movements for 5/3/1 involves pressing, bench and overhead, ive no idea how to go about it. pressing movements are a big no for me. so any suggestions? could i just do two deadlift and two squat days? or would that be too much. or perhaps sub bench & overhead presses with chin ups/pulls ups etc?

so instead of smth like: overhead, squats, bench, deadlifts. its something like: pullups, squats, chin ups, deadlifts on mond, tues, thurs, fri.

[quote]LTKO wrote:
hey, so my elbow still bothers me. but i want to try out 5/3/1 for strength. i did 2-3mths of WSFSB3 and it has definitely made me stronger. but as the main movements for 5/3/1 involves pressing, bench and overhead, ive no idea how to go about it. pressing movements are a big no for me. so any suggestions? could i just do two deadlift and two squat days? or would that be too much. or perhaps sub bench & overhead presses with chin ups/pulls ups etc?[/quote]

What is the source of your elbow pain? Have you taken steps to remedy the situation?

[quote]so instead of smth like: overhead, squats, bench, deadlifts. its something like: pullups, squats, chin ups, deadlifts on mond, tues, thurs, fri.
[/quote]

Not ideal, but do what you can physically bear. I think getting your elbow “fixed” should be numero uno.

i can do pullups and stuff like that. squats & deadlifts too. its just pressing movements with heavy weights or high reps that makes it worse.

and i got it from doing dips, but it has gotten alot better. but still not 100% yet.

This might be repairable. I had elbow pain, as in couldn’t squeeze to pick anything up. Thought it was bad tendonitis or tennis elbow, so I bought an adjustable band to fix said problem. That has helped some. What really helped was doing direct bicep work. I have (stupidly) neglected my biceps for several years now. Really dumb. I guess it has caught up with me. I’ve added in hammer curls, barbell curls, and alt db curls. I’m finally getting strength back with little pain.

hmm, i bought an elbow sleeve and use it for all my upper body workouts. yea it helped quite a bit. and yea, ill try to do more bicep work. haha. thanks!