5/3/1 Deload While on Diet?

Since you want to lift heavy as possible do you think I should deload?

yes. deload.

[quote]pf wrote:
yes. deload.[/quote]

But wouldn’t you want to lift as heavy as possible on a diet.

I’ve been dieting down on 5/3/1 and have been keeping intensity higher on some exercises rather than others.

On the main lifts, I deloaded on military, bench, and deadlift, as I felt like those patterns were getting a bit tired and could use a break.

However, I worked up to a near 3RM on incline bench on military press day and a near 3 rm on squat day (I do front squats) as I had no pain or even discomfort associated with either of those movements. I also trained my back and arms at a high intensity and just cut down the volume a bit.

honestly i don’t see the point of de-loading
i mean the actual going to the gym to lift subpar weights

just take a couple days off if you are run down…

keeps neural paths fresh, keeping tissue healthy before significant injury occurs, gets blood flowing, still make progress on accessory work… it’s not something you have to wait until you are run down to do.

Continuing to “lift heavy” on a diet is an overall recommendation so you don’t lose muscle mass while dieting. It doesn’t necessarily apply to every single workout. What you are trying to avoid is changing your entire routine to super-light weights to try and “cut up”. One week of deloading that is programmed in as it is on 5/3/1 isn’t going to have any detrimental effect. In fact it might actually be helpful since you may not recover quite as well overall in a calorie deficient state.

If you are on a diet, all the more reason to deload. Deload is so you can recover and optimize super-compensation. If you restrict calories and nutrition, you will not super-compensate very well.

As a not so old mentor, Joe O’Brien, used to tell me. “Your gains are made OUT OF THE GYM.”

[quote]challer1 wrote:
I’ve been dieting down on 5/3/1 and have been keeping intensity higher on some exercises rather than others.

On the main lifts, I deloaded on military, bench, and deadlift, as I felt like those patterns were getting a bit tired and could use a break.

However, I worked up to a near 3RM on incline bench on military press day and a near 3 rm on squat day (I do front squats) as I had no pain or even discomfort associated with either of those movements. I also trained my back and arms at a high intensity and just cut down the volume a bit. [/quote]

5/3/1 plus 3RM. Hows you progress doing? Isn’t that like doing Maxeffort plus 5/3/1 which jim wendler does not recommend?

[quote]SRS2000 wrote:
Continuing to “lift heavy” on a diet is an overall recommendation so you don’t lose muscle mass while dieting. It doesn’t necessarily apply to every single workout. What you are trying to avoid is changing your entire routine to super-light weights to try and “cut up”. One week of deloading that is programmed in as it is on 5/3/1 isn’t going to have any detrimental effect. In fact it might actually be helpful since you may not recover quite as well overall in a calorie deficient state.[/quote]

nicely said.

[quote]motherofpearl2 wrote:

[quote]challer1 wrote:
I’ve been dieting down on 5/3/1 and have been keeping intensity higher on some exercises rather than others.

On the main lifts, I deloaded on military, bench, and deadlift, as I felt like those patterns were getting a bit tired and could use a break.

However, I worked up to a near 3RM on incline bench on military press day and a near 3 rm on squat day (I do front squats) as I had no pain or even discomfort associated with either of those movements. I also trained my back and arms at a high intensity and just cut down the volume a bit. [/quote]

5/3/1 plus 3RM. Hows you progress doing? Isn’t that like doing Maxeffort plus 5/3/1 which jim wendler does not recommend?[/quote]

I wouldn’t call what I did ME work. Basically, I did standing military press for 3 sets of 5 @ 40%/50%/60%, then I went over to the incline bench and worked up to 285 for 3 reps… no grinds, fairly explosive reps. I could have done about 6 if I had to.

On front squats, I worked up to a heavy set of 3 (but not full out ME work - hence the “near 3RM” comment) and then moved on.

On both days I worked up to a near 3RM, I still didn’t go near failure and my volume was way down. I know my back always needs a break though, so I completely deloaded on deadlift day and did all single leg work. That is how I am cutting while deloading. What works for me may not work for you, I know that personally at my %BF I can’t go 7 days straight without touching a heavy weight.

I have been very pleased with my progress. On January 30th I did a meet and benched 385 raw weighing in @ 194 lbs (pre sodium / water bloat). Started cutting February 1st and now I’m down to 182 and my numbers in training are about the same. I actually hit a 10 lb PR on front squat this week on my top set this week coming off my deload.

[quote]ayork90 wrote:
honestly i don’t see the point of de-loading
i mean the actual going to the gym to lift subpar weights

just take a couple days off if you are run down…[/quote]

Deloading allows the removal of fatigue while doing enough work to preserve fitness. Not all workouts have to be hard to be effective.