T Nation

5/3/1 Deload Assistance

I’m hitting my first deload week next week on 5/3/1 and I am basically doing BBB (I substituted a couple assistance exercises and am doing push presses instead of strict). I know how to deload the main lifts and that I should deload the assistance.

What are the best ways to deload the assistance? Less weight? Fewer reps per set or total sets? Different exercises?

[quote]Silyak wrote:
I’m hitting my first deload week next week on 5/3/1 and I am basically doing BBB (I substituted a couple assistance exercises and am doing push presses instead of strict). I know how to deload the main lifts and that I should deload the assistance.

What are the best ways to deload the assistance? Less weight? Fewer reps per set or total sets? Different exercises? [/quote]

It does not have to be exact so just estimate, but I did 80% on both reps and weight which worked well.

Example
80lb dumbells for sets of 10
On deload week I would use 70lb for sets of 8

When deloading who cares? Just do 3 sets of 5 at 40%, 50% and 60% of training max for the main movement. Your accessory movements can be random. Just do stuff that you want to do. Now’s a good time to try movements you’ve been hankering for.

For assistance I halve the reps but keep the same weights and number of sets. Personally, if you’re feeling a little restless at the end of the deload week, that’s probably good. Bit of extra mental motivation since you know you didn’t do bugger all last week. If you’re feeling tired, maybe you should cut back a bit more.

Deloading is for wimps.

Could just do all the prescribed lifts on one or two days and take the rest of the week off from weights

Depending on how I’m feeling that week, I will usually employ the following strategies for deload:

-Not deload at all and start next cycle. Only done this once or twice, and its when training has been going awesome and I dont want to stop the momentum. I would NOT recommend this for beginners.
-Go all 4 days and perform deload weights on the main exercises and same reps/sets on accessory with a lot less weight (basically just focusing on mind muscle connection).
-Same as above, except go 3 days with OHP on deadlift day. This is probably my most common deload strategy.
-Take the whole week off from training (focus on foam rolling, cardio, mobility, something). I like this strategy a lot too and its probably my second favorite.

[quote]Silyak wrote:
I’m hitting my first deload week next week on 5/3/1 and I am basically doing BBB…

What are the best ways to deload the assistance? Less weight? Fewer reps per set or total sets? Different exercises? [/quote]

Just started cycle 5 of 531 +BBB myself… good stuff…

Anyhow, for deloads on assistance exercises, I don’t use a calculated approach. I find a weight that will work the muscle but not cause me to strain at all to lift… roughly 50-60% of the weight… and I’ll still do the same rep counts… I may just do 3 sets vs. 4… and I may try new exercises that I want to test out or fit in down the road.

Take it easy.

Generally I am done <30 mins on deload days, so I add in some cardio.

Mostly just do the prescribed 531 deload sets for your big lift, then stretch, foam roll, take contrast showers, take a Viking Bath like Svend Karlsen if need be, just focus on recovery so you can get back to work the next cycle.

Thanks for the replies. I guess there are a lot of different approaches. Mostly I was torn because it seemed silly to go the gym 4 days and do just the main lifts. If I do lots of assistance then I’m not deloading and if I don’t do assistance it will take under 10 minutes including warmup and loading the bar to do the prescribed main lifts. I like the idea of going one day and doing all the main lifts and then taking the rest of the days off the gym. I’ll try that and get lots of stretching and foam rolling at home.