5/3/1 Deadlift

I just started my first month of 5/3/1 after a long time of following Mountain Dog style approach to training. I’m on week 3 so the 5/3/1 week and not only did I get no additional reps with the last set but I actually missed the lift completely.

The only difference between this week and the others is I added Defranco’s limber 11 before my workouts and I did notice a decrease in explosiveness from the floor with my other sets as well on squat day I wasn’t as explosive but managed to get all required reps. Would that hinder my deadlift that much or could it be something else? Not sure what to think

You started your deadlift too heavy. On week 3 of your first cycle you should still be getting a bunch of reps. Lower your DL training max.

I wonder if you go to my gym? I saw a dude have this exact same thing happen to him on Tuesday. Looked like he was gonna bust a nut on the “3” set. Couldn’t even get the “1” off the ground. Either way, csulli is right.

Lower your training 1RM by 10-15%.

[quote]csulli wrote:
You started your deadlift too heavy. On week 3 of your first cycle you should still be getting a bunch of reps. Lower your DL training max.[/quote]

This.

When I first tried 5/3/1 I got like 8 on my first 1+ week. That’s a point of emphasis in the beyond book.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
You started your deadlift too heavy. On week 3 of your first cycle you should still be getting a bunch of reps. Lower your DL training max.[/quote]

This.

When I first tried 5/3/1 I got like 8 on my first 1+ week. That’s a point of emphasis in the beyond book. [/quote]

I was going to take this route. I just wanted something to blame my lack of performance on since the weight I used has been fairly easy for me in the past. The past being a couple months ago when I’d do deadlifts like once a month and at the end of my workouts as opposed to first. So it just seemed really strange

After a reset I always get at least 9-10 on the first set. In fact if you know what your 10RM is I would work backwards from that to calculate your starting numbers on 5/3/1.

If you can do 300lbs for 10 reps…
300 is about 85% of 350
So start with a training max of 350

Or based on a 5RM
300 is about 95% of 330
So start with a training max of 330 and you’ll get at least 5 reps on the 3rd week.