5/3/1 Cycle Planning

Jim,

Sorry if the titles a little misleading I wasn’t exactly sure what to title it. At first when I tried 5/3/1 a few years back I had seen great progress but didn’t understand exactly what I was doing or how programming fit into an annual plan. This question is more of a confirmation on what I think I know then a real question.

The idea is to go from lowest intensity/highest volume to medium of both to highest intensity/lowest volume using the different templates in a strung together plan, correct?

So my plan would be:
BBB for 2-3 cycles, holding back on the AMRAP sets progressing 60%,65%,70% for the 5x10
AMRAP sets for 2-3 cycles, jokers on some weeks, and FSL for 3-5x5-8
Finishing with AMRAP sets for 2-3 cycles, using something like the 5/3/1 pyramid and doing another AMRAP on the backdown sets

Then repeat and make changes where necessary

You can do that way…531 is pretty flexible in the planning. His newest book goes into long term planning pretty in depth, has a few examples, and long term ideas for BBB and a few other templates.

Yeah the beyond book had some good stuff on this. I’m currently running a 28 week program from it that escalates intensity.

This isn’t bad - I think you could do better but that’s my personal opinion.
I also think there are some totally awesome templates I’ve written in last year that would seem tempting to try. Meaning: it’s ok to switch shit up in this program. Because of the principles, every template is interchangeable after 6 weeks. Have some fun.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
This isn’t bad - I think you could do better but that’s my personal opinion.
I also think there are some totally awesome templates I’ve written in last year that would seem tempting to try. Meaning: it’s ok to switch shit up in this program. Because of the principles, every template is interchangeable after 6 weeks. Have some fun.

[/quote]

Yeah, Its just something I didn’t realize as a kid that the templates weren’t written as just pick one but as a method of planning what template to go to in what order. I’m currently using the 13 week BBB that is laid out in the beyond book, and after that was planning on using the big but strong on your site. Thanks for the help, I just wanted some kind of confirmation that I wasn’t completely losing it here and that my reasoning was sound.

sorry for hijacking your thread and asking this OP but I figured it was relevant to the topic.

what about something along the lines of BBB + AMRAP, FSL + AMRAP, 3 TM Singles + FSL, Jokers + AMRAP?

[quote]bmcinnis96 wrote:
sorry for hijacking your thread and asking this OP but I figured it was relevant to the topic.

what about something along the lines of BBB + AMRAP, FSL + AMRAP, 3 TM Singles + FSL, Jokers + AMRAP?
[/quote]

assuming you mean those +'s as arrows…

You’re going from

High volume/Low intensity – medium volme/ medium intensity – low volume, medium intensity (saying this because its TM singles not jokers which are over 100%)-- medium volume, high intensity-- low volume, medium intensity

At least that’s how I see it

I’m not Jim but I would guess it’d be fine but probably cut out the AMRAP 3 tm single phase and get rid of the last just amrap phase

treat the comma’s as “arrows”