5/3/1 & CrossFit Program

First off, this program is for over all â??Functionalâ?? Fitness, it is made for competitive CrossFitters.

Second, This routine is very easily modified. In fact we never do the exact same workout twice.

The Weekly layout looks like this.

Monday: Back Squat/PWR Clean

Tuesday: Bench

Wednesday: off, or active recovery

Thrusday: Dead Lift/ PWR Snatch

Friday: off, or active recovery

Saturday: Push Press/ Jerk

Sunday: off

Week 1: 7 reps @ 75%, 6 reps @ 80%, 5 reps @ 85%

Week 2: 6 reps @ 75%, 5 reps @ 80%, 4 reps @ 85%, 3 reps @ 90%

Week 3: 5 reps @ 75%, 4 reps @ 80%, 3 reps @ 85%, 2 reps @ 90%, 1 rep @ 95%

Week 4: 3Ã?12 @ 60%

These Percentages are for the main lifts only (back squat, bench, D.L, Push Press)

Note: Every month add 10lbs to your max back squat & D.L, add 7lbs to your max push press, add 5lbs to your max bench then redo your percentages and start over.

***Dynamic Effort work: (performed after warmup, but before main lifts)

Before back squats perform heavy but not â??heavingâ?? PWR Cleans.

Before Dead lifts perform heavy but not â??heavingâ?? PWR Snatches.

If your form is not sexy, the weight is to high. We usually do sets something like this:

5/3/3/1/1/1

***Accessory Work: (performed after main lifts.)

Back Squat day: 5Ã?10 front squats, 30-45 sec rest, 5Ã?10 GH Raises.

Bench Day: Banded dips 5/5/3/3/3, Incline bench 5Ã?10 30-45 sec rest

Deadlift day: 5Ã?10 Good Mornings or Dead lifts @ 50%

Push Press day: Push Jerks, Strict Press, or HSPU

NOTE: It is acceptable to skip the accessory work, as long as you include something similar in the metcon. Ex. Instead of doing 5Ã?10 front squats, you could do 21/15/9 of: 225lb back squat, 2pood KB Swing etc in your metcon.

***METCON: (performed after accessory lift)

Every day ends with a short metcon or two, usually heavy.

The metcon needs to compliment the movements you worked that day, and should be no longer than 7-12 minutes. 5-6 minutes hitâ??s the spot.

Example metcon for Monday; 30 Hang Cleans @ 225 for time.

Example metcon for Tuesday; 15/12/9/6 of burpee boxjumps, 2 pood Cranks.

Example metcon for Thursday; 5 rounds of 10 Tire flips, 15 pullups

Example metcon for Saturday; 7 rounds for time of: 20 push press, 20 O.H. Squats @ 75lbs.

***Active Recovery days should consist of long, low intensity workouts. Such as jogging, swimming, rowing, treading water, etc. Followed my a stretching session.

To summarize everything A typical day will look something like this:

1. Dynamic warm up, followed by dynamic stretches.

2. Dynamic lifts, if theyâ??re called for.

3. Main lifts, following the set & rep scheme above.

4. Accessory work

5. And finally your metcon.

Keep in mind the full workout should take no longer than 90 minutes. Donâ??t go all out on the dynamic lifts or the accessory work, keep the rest short & the form pretty. Also this is a off season split, to gain strength as well as keeping conditioning. Eat good, but a lot, sleep no less than 9 hours a day.

In befoe flame war in 3…2…1

If I go to a box and they show me a wod and i tell them I want to do 3x3 squats before I ump into the conditioning, would they be cool with that?

My Gym is :slight_smile:

Why would you call this 5/3/1?

It’s not 5/3/1. It’s a bastardized crossfit lifting scheme.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but when it doesn’t work, just don’t go blaming the 5/3/1 program… you know, the one that you’re very clearly NOT doing.

Correct, its my own modified version, for the CrossFit athlete.
We need slighty more volume to get the same results due to our Conditioning.

[quote]whitfit wrote:
We need slighty more volume to get the same results due to our Conditioning.[/quote]

Somehow I doubt that.

But do what you like man. I’m just pointing out that the title of the thread is misleading.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]whitfit wrote:
We need slighty more volume to get the same results due to our Conditioning.[/quote]

Somehow I doubt that.

But do what you like man. I’m just pointing out that the title of the thread is misleading. [/quote]
Look at his join date and post count. He’s probably a troll, I mean, is it just coincidence there happens to be another active thread on crossfit at the moment?

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]whitfit wrote:

Somehow I doubt that.

But do what you like man. I’m just pointing out that the title of the thread is misleading. [/quote]
Look at his join date and post count. He’s probably a troll, I mean, is it just coincidence there happens to be another active thread on crossfit at the moment? [/quote]

Just sucks because then when I see questions like this, I end up treating people like they’re trolls even if they’re not and looking for serious help.

I hate it when people do shit like this.

Wow
I am speechless

and on a side note
“We need slighty more volume to get the same results due to our Conditioning.”
Really?

Conditioning, burns some muscle for energy, as well as using up much of your glucose stores for recovery

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:
In befoe flame war in 5…3…1[/quote]

fixed it for ya :wink:

*** therefore i do more volume (it’s only 3 extra sets per week). You guys are correct its not the 5/3/1, just my own tweaks. It works better for us, and probably for you to, if you condition regularly. On the other hand if your main focus is strength i would keep the conditioning to a minimal as well as doing the original 5/3/1. I appreciate you guys taking interest in my article! Thank you much!

[quote]whitfit wrote:
It isn’t 531. At all.

[quote]whitfit wrote:
Conditioning, burns some muscle for energy, as well as using up much of your glucose stores for recovery [/quote]
You are doing it wrong.

GTFO YOU STUPID TROLL

[quote]whitfit wrote:
*** therefore i do more volume (it’s only 3 extra sets per week). You guys are correct its not the 5/3/1, just my own tweaks. It works better for us, and probably for you to, if you condition regularly. On the other hand if your main focus is strength i would keep the conditioning to a minimal as well as doing the original 5/3/1. I appreciate you guys taking interest in my article! Thank you much![/quote]

Which means you didn’t read the 2nd edition of the book did you?

[quote]man bear pig wrote:

[quote]whitfit wrote:
Conditioning, burns some muscle for energy, as well as using up much of your glucose stores for recovery [/quote]
You are doing it wrong. [/quote]

very wrong.

im fucking confused. what did wendler add in the second edition anyway? i only have the first addition.

[quote]GreatAjax wrote:
im fucking confused. what did wendler add in the second edition anyway? i only have the first addition.[/quote]

It came out at the end of last year.