5/3/1 Boring But Big Confusion

I’ve been trying to follow the 5/3/1 BBB program, but it seems like there’s 2 different versions of it out there and I’m not sure if I’m doing it correctly.

I am following the exact sample routine that Jim outlines here: Boring But Big 3-Month Challenge (it’s on page 2)

For example, on Monday I do:

• Military press: 5/3/1
  • Bench press: 5x10
  • Chins: 5x10
  • Assistance work for biceps/triceps

However, I was doing a bit of research on the program and it seems like most people are doing it this way:

• Military press: 5x10
  • Assistance work for bis/tris if they want to

There is no bench work at all on their military press day, it’s just military and chins, which is different from the sample routine that Jim has in his article above.

I don’t know if I’m just misunderstanding something with Jim’s original write-up of BBB, but I don’t see in there where he mentions to do 5x10 of your main lift for the day. It looks like you do regular 5/3/1 military press (or whatever your 5/3/1 lift for that day is) and then go right into the assistance work doing 5 sets of 10.

Can someone help clear this up for me?

Thanks.

Do whatever.

Keep the basic philosophy.

Either is fine.

x2 I don’t get too bothered by the assistance work. As long as you achieve balance then it should be fine.

^this is the way it was originally laid out in the manual. The 3 month challenge article is a new spin on it.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

^this is the way it was originally laid out in the manual. The 3 month challenge article is a new spin on it.[/quote]

This.
/thread

YEA the “challenge” is done in three months with the 5-3-1 lift and then the other compound movements “flip” so to avoid being to boring, so day 1 military 5,3,1 and then 5x10 bench, the challenge is a variation, just curious as to what conditioning methods you have chosen??

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

^this is the way it was originally laid out in the manual. The 3 month challenge article is a new spin on it.[/quote]

[quote]MONSTERMATT wrote:
YEA the “challenge” is done in three months with the 5-3-1 lift and then the other compound movements “flip” so to avoid being to boring, so day 1 military 5,3,1 and then 5x10 bench, the challenge is a variation, just curious as to what conditioning methods you have chosen??[/quote]

Ah I get it now. I didn’t realize the 3 month challenge was a new spin on it and different from the original BBB version. Makes sense now. Thanks for clearin that up for me.

As for conditioning, I just started doing the complexes here: Screw Cardio! Four Complexes for a Shredded Physique

I can’t stand the treadmill or any of that crap so those are perfect. I did the Cosgrove complex today and it was pretty tough. It was much less boring than mindlessly walking or running on a treadmill too. Gonna try the plate one next time and see how that goes.

google ‘the bear complex’, love that

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
google ‘the bear complex’, love that[/quote]

Just checked it out. Yeah that does seem like it would be brutal. I’ll give that one a try too.

How often do you guys perform complexes like this if your goal is to cut bodyfat? I was thinking of doing them twice per week on my off-days, but should I go for 3-4 times per week instead?

[quote]J023 wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
google ‘the bear complex’, love that[/quote]

Just checked it out. Yeah that does seem like it would be brutal. I’ll give that one a try too.

How often do you guys perform complexes like this if your goal is to cut bodyfat? I was thinking of doing them twice per week on my off-days, but should I go for 3-4 times per week instead?
[/quote]

I’d personally reduce the hypertrophy work and do complexes/conditioning at the end of every workout. Couldn’t say if this would work for you, but 3-4 times a week should be fine.

[quote]Cimmerian wrote:
I’d personally reduce the hypertrophy work and do complexes/conditioning at the end of every workout.[/quote]