5/3/1 Beyond: TM After 100% Squat Day? Progression After 5th Week?

Hey everyone. Question about the beyond 5/3/1. One is about setting up the program and advancing and the other is about the beyond 5/3/1 1.1 t nation article with the 20 week program. Both are similar questions. In the beyond 5/3/1 when you hit your 100% day in the squat would you up your training max the next squat day or would you wait for week 4?

My question about the program laid out in the 1.1 is it shows only 5 weeks. Would you add weight to your training max after the 5th week?

You run through that entire 5 weeks of Beyond 5/3/1 1.1 with your training max the same. You then increase it by up to 5/10lbs for upper/lower body lifts.

1 Like

Excellent that’s what I thought but wasn’t sure

1.1 is 5 weeks long. After 5 weeks you start 1.2.

1.1 + 1.2 + 1.3 + 1.4 = 20 weeks

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/beyond-531-program-1-1
https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/beyond-531-program-1-2
https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/beyond-531-program-1-3
https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/beyond-531-program-1-4

Ok that’s what I was wondering as it just ends at week 5 and it was very vague as to when to increase weight after a cycle and deload weeks and all that

This program has built in deloads.

“All percentages are based on your Training Max ™. Again, make sure you increase your TM for this cycle”

That’s a quote from the programme and deload are described in week 5. Are you motivated to do this programme? As you seem to have only skimmed the reading. Are you sure this is for you.

I read through it and noticed that most weeks are the same for the 5 weeks but after looking through it and thinking it through I see what you mean. I was not aware that there was more then one article till it was posted here.

I did have a question about the dynamic work and some of the cardio training. I don’t have max balls or a weighted vest. I see Jim states these things are important but is there anything I can do to replace or substitute for lack of this equipment?

Fair enough, there’s loads of text. I just wanted to check.

I did other dynamic exercises to warm up like Kettlebell swings instead of jumps and dynamic press ups. But some of that was because I ran it in a very cold gym at 6am in northern England. Bbrrrrr

I also rucked, cycled and walked to work (light rucksack) so didn’t worry too much about the weighted vest. But now I have one, I feel it would’ve benefited me.

My strength is not impressive on this forum but I’m a massive fan of this programme. It gives you a structure and you get a good understanding of how much FSL work is for you. I saw great gains until 1.3 where I did too much, Jim gives you a range. Interestingly I didn’t think it was working until I started 1.2. glad I stuck to it as I burst through my PRs after the first deload on week 5. This programme is now why I can commit to 5 pros leaders for 6 weeks and be confident that I’ll get the result I’m after.

Thanks. I like the idea of changing and using some of the dynamic work. I completely get the working out in the cold as I have a small home gym where it can get pretty cold. Luckily I just got a garage heater for it so hopefully it is enough to keep me going for the workouts when it gets negative 20 below lol

1 Like

Question about training max. I am on week 3 of this program and used my training max and have been noticing im grinding every set and struggling on the 5x5 on every lift except the deadlift. Should I finish week five of the 1.1 and run it again with lower training maxes or adjust for week 6 1.2 on the program? I understand its only going to get tougher hence why im asking.

On week 3 you have 95% of your TM and 5*5 @75% sets. These shouldn’t be a grind if your TM is right and you’re used to the volume. I had it the other way where I found the deadlifts challenging but that was because I’d never done any volume for them, at all. Lower TM is rarely bad but if the volume is a new thing for you then do 1.1 again. Let your body get used to it.

I wouldn’t think the volume is new. In the summer before moving to 5/3/1 I ran an Allen thrall/ barbell medicine program that was similar to this type of program. First block was 8s then the next block 5s and you worked your way to lifting less volume but higher weight and so on. I like this template/layout and the 5x5 wouldn’t be bad if it wasn’t for the limited rest between. Like I said I understand it is only going to get harder and I don’t want to set myself up for failure and didn’t want to try to adjust my training max during the week if it’s something I could over come

1 Like

I don’t know how grindy your reps are, but if you can’t do 5+ reps at 95% of your TM then your TM is too high.

Multiply your current TM by 0.9 and use that as your new TM.

1 Like

I always do the upper body first as I know i can’t do much after trying a squat or deadlift pr. The rest periods where new to me on the 5x5 and it took a few weeks to adjust. Looking back It might be why I found no PRs until after the deload.

Lowering TM isn’t bad if it’s a grind to get 5 reps. You can run it again and edge up your TM.

So for week 2 and currently this week on the + sets I have hit the minimum reps and thats it. For example, the 5+ set of bench I got 5 reps no extra. I thought the 5x5 would be hard for me just in terms of volume but I find every set to be heavy and struggle through it. At first I thought it was because I taxed my body doing super sets of the assistance to save time but ive adjusted to focusing on the lift and still struggling to push through.

Then your TM is definitely too high. As it was said earlier, you should be able to do 5 solid, no grind reps at 95% on your 1+ day. This may change as you go on with the cycles but, in the first cycle that’s baseline.
Lower your TM to where you get 3-5 solid confident reps with your TM.

Is this Bugenhagen 5/3/1?

1 Like