T Nation

5//3/1 Bench and Overhead Press with Dumbbells

Hey
My question is , if i can do both with dumbbells?
When i must do 60kg bench should i do 30kg for the same reps each side or how should i use the weight if it is ok?

Use a barbell as explained in the book.

Ok and why?
I feel like i feel my chest better and i can gain more muscle mass in shoulders with dumbellsdumbbells

If your goal is muscle mass and being a bodybuilder than feel free to do whatever you want.

My primary goal is muscle gain but with gaining strengh
I do all 4 main lifts but chest and shoulder with dumbells is that ok if i do the programm?
And my 2nd question if the volume is too high or too low my plan
Monday: squat 5 3 1 and 5x10 deadlift wednesday: shoulder press (dumbells ) 5 3 1 , dips 5x10 and pull ups 3x10 friday: deadlift 5 3 1 squat 5x10 sunday: bench press (dumbells) 531 5x10 dips
Please help me and say me how i can better this plan and if you say barbell is necessary i will do it, thx

Looks perfect to me. Good luck.

For real? No irony? No betterment i am happy if someone like you can correct me?!

Janis79, he already told you to use a barbell, you don’t listen and ask again, why would he waste his energy to say something twice (three times if you read the book) to someone who obviously doesn’t want to listen but wants their choices justified?

"I feel like i feel my chest better and i can gain more muscle mass in shoulders with dumbellsdumbbells"
Probably the wrong forum to ask something like this.
Besides, if you can’t “feel” your chest after a PR set, FSL, Boring But Big, etc. it is hard to fathom what dumbbells will do for you.

On to the bigger question: why not try it and see like Bartman suggests? Try using them as assistance with 5’s pro and calculate the % based on your single arm presses. The program police won’t find out - I promise.

By the way, you will NOT gain more muscle mass substituting for compound movements - no way.

Ok thank you and the others!
I will listen to you all and do it like it is written in the book!
I do all lifts with barbell and i reduce the assisantce work to a minumum.
My plan ( with barbell)
Monday: squat 531 deadlift 5x10 and hanging leg raises
Wednesday: bench press 531 dips 5x10 and db rows 5x10
Friday: deadlift 531 squat 5x10 ab wheel 5x15
Sunday: millitary Press 531 bench press 5x10 and chin ups 5x10

So i do the mainlifts the assisantce and one extra assisantce work is this now ok with barbell added?

Or should i change the training days or assisantce work?

[quote]Janis79 wrote:
Or should i change the training days or assisantce work?[/quote]

I like having the day before Squats and Deadlifts as non-lifting days but that’s just me (I do one day lifting followed by one day conditioning nowadays anyway but I always preferred not lifting the day before lower body).

Ok thank you so i could do the millitary press on saturday then i train AFTER a lower body day but not before
Do you think the assisantce work Is enough or too much would do change/add/remove anything?

[quote]Janis79 wrote:
Ok thank you so i could do the millitary press on saturday then i train AFTER a lower body day but not before
[/quote]

I’m not saying this is what you should do, I’m suggesting that if you find that there is performance issues with squat and DL movements, this may be an approach worth considering.

Ok thanl you i will try it so and i will see if i can progresd good