5/3/1 Beginners Template

I had a question about this. It was recommended that I start this template,5/3/1 for beginners. I have the second edition of the book and only found a 3 day full body program with 5’a progression. I stumbled along a spreadsheet that is called 5/3/1 beginners which looks very similar to a starting strength set up. From what I can see based on the spread sheet one day is squat and bench with assistance work the next day is deadlift and press with assistance work and the last day is squat and bench with assistance work. I am interested in the program if it is a 5/3/1 template but where would I find it in the book to read about it?

Also what type of assistance would be done on these days? One upper one lower?

Should answer all your questions.

It was also literally the first response from googling 531 beginners, in case the link gets removed.

1 Like

My 5c, whatever you choose, don’t forget to add a lot of back/pulling work

Yeah sorry I didn’t even think about googling it. Last question on this. So on the main lifts do you do 5/3/1 and 5x5 with FSL or is it 5/3/1 or 5x5

Monday on week 1 would look like this:

Agile 8
Jumps/Throws: 10-15 reps

Squat
Warm up sets
5 reps @ 65%
5 reps @ 75%
5 reps @ 85%
5 sets x5 reps @ 65%

Bench
Warm up sets
5 reps @ 65%
5 reps @ 75%
5 reps @ 85%
5 sets x5 reps @ 65%

Push Accessories: 50 - 100 reps
Pull Accessories: 50 - 100 reps
Single Leg/Core Accessories: 50 - 100 reps

1 Like

Ok that clears it up. It’s FSL for multiple sets after your working set. I imagine the last set at 85% is a straight set and not an AMRAP

That’s correct. When using 5’s PRO you only do the prescribed amount of reps (which is 5).