5/3/1 Beginner Template Assistance Exercises

Jim in your opinion which beginner template would be more suited to somebody looking to drop bodyfat? Being 30% bodyfat with no training exp and very low muscle mass i look horrible and i wouldn’t be comfortable eating tons of food since im very self conscious about my body due to bullying in the past, i know this isnt ideal and you rather people eat well to grow but i refuse to give up and believe that there has to be a template i can do with my current circumstances.

I know they are all based on the same principles but i notice there different variations with different amount of volume ect. Please can you point me in the right direction?

Jim,

I like the looks of this but I have the mind set of a young kid and a body of a 57 year old and it gets me in trouble sometimes.

Would you suggest any changes in this program for a lifer in his late 50s?.

Nick - I think you are taking a “eating for performance” way out of context. We have strength AND conditioning goals. Our conditioning goals are incredibly difficult for each person. We have a mile run, Prowler, sled, AirDyne and weight vest standards. In addition to this, we have a Strongman Triathalon that fucking sucks. And when I say it sucks, I mean you have to perform at the top of your game for 3 movements, one right after another.

So eating for performance has ZERO to do with eating a ton of food - I’m not sure where you got that from. We condition every single day. EVERY day.

With that being said, do one of the templates for 2 cycles. And then do the other for 2 cycles. it doesn’t matter - your fat loss is not a result of your lifting for a few cycles, it is what you do consistently over the next 10 years. It is the PRINCIPLES that you follow in the next 10 years.

This is a lifetime change you are about to embark on.

1 Like

I would suggest the 2x2x2 program for older lifters, just like in the book.

Using the A/B workout: So assuming a M, W, F schedule, do I repeat Workout A on Friday using same percentages? For example Monday would be 65%, 75%, 85%, then repeat Friday?

Hi Jim,

You say 6 weeks meaning 6 week cycles? Or change to the standard 4-days a week 5/3/1 program after the first 6 weeks?

Your website suggests one EACH from a push/pull/leg as assistance exercises for 50-100 reps. I see you mention Rows/Dips/Curls here. Some comments on the issue would be great!