5/3/1 Beginner Routine

Hey, I’ve been reading about 5/3/1 for a while now and I want to start doing it this week. I know Wedler has a variation for beginners, I read it in his book and in his website but they are a little different.

Monday
Squat – 5/3/1 sets/reps, 5x5 @ First Set Last ( or FSL)
Bench – 5/3/1 sets/reps, 5x5 @ FSL
Assistance work

Wednesday
Deadlift – 5/3/1 sets/reps, 5x5 @ FSL
Press – 5/3/1 sets/reps, 5x5 @ FSL
Assistance work

Friday
Bench – 5/3/1 sets/reps, 5x5 @ FSL
Squat – 5/3/1 sets/reps, 5x5 @ FSL
Assistance work

Book (2nd edition):
Monday
Squat – 5/3/1 sets/reps
Bench - 5x55%, 5x,65%, 5x75%
Assistance work

Wednesday
Deadlift – 5/3/1 sets/reps, 5x5 @ FSL
Press – 5/3/1 sets/reps, 5x5 @ FSL
Assistance work

Friday
Bench – 5/3/1 sets/reps
Squat –5x55%, 5x,65%, 5x75%
Assistance work

My questions are wich template should I follow as female and begginer, the website template or the book template?

Whichever you prefer. It does not matter in the slightest as long as you are consistent, work hard and recover well (read eat, sleep).

1 Like

I don’t understand if every Monday, Wednesday and Friday I should do the same main lifts of if I should alternate like ABA BAB???

Generally I would say its up to you, but I believe Jim wants it to be the same every week. He doesn’t seem to be a big advocate for deads multiple times a week, plus lf you’re a beginner you could do with more squat practice as it is the most complex. I would do the first one personally simply because you need more time under the bar to understand your body, but if you find it too much volume, then do the second template.

The biggest thing I advise though, is to actually read the book. Finding templates online only shows the template. Once you read the books, everything becomes clear.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter which one - do whichever one you WANT to do. There is no difference as the principles are what matter.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean I’m afraid. Pick whichever option you prefer of the two that you set out. Do each day as written.

Also, buy the book(s). It’ll make better sense.

1 Like

I’ve just started, and I’m using the website version. I like the heavy squats and bench twice in a week.

Same, I enjoy squatting and benching heavy 2 times a week. As I progress maybe I will switch to the book template if it becomes too hard but so far I’m doing great and loving the program.

Hello! Just started with the beginner program on the website. LOVE the extra volume with FSL 5x5 at the end of the 5/3/1 rep scheme. Lots of practice too. Overall have been thoroughly enjoying the program and more importantly the thought process behind it!

Quick question. Do you continue to maintain the 5x5 FSL on deload week?

Regards.

Negative, Ghostrider. When you deload, deload!

Adjust your assistance accordingly, too.