5/3/1 Beginner 3 Day Routine Programing Help

Hi guys, ive recently bought Jims 2nd Edition 5/3/1 Ebook and im completely new to lifting, the majority of advice have pointed my to things like starting strength ect but i like the look of jims beginner 5/3/1 3 day plan.

Anyway I need help regarding planning assistance after the main lifts. Ive made the following but before i start it, and being completely new i want to make sure ive not messed it up so could any experienced lifted take a look of the plan and let me know if its ok or if any improvements could be made. Might be worth mentioning im 200 pounds 25% bodyfat so im planning on doing this in a slight caloric deficit, about 10-15%

Monday

Squat – 5/3/1 sets/reps
Bench – 55%x5, 65×5%, 75%x5

Assistance work
barbell row 3 x 10 at 60%
behind the neck press 3 x 10 60%
curls 3 x 10 60%

Wednesday

Deadlift – 5/3/1 sets/reps
Press – 5/3/1 sets/reps

Assistance work
Pull ups 3 x 5
CGBP 3 x 10 60%
Barbell Shrugs 3 x 10 60%

Friday

Bench – 5/3/1 sets/reps
Squat – 55%x5, 65%x5, 75%x5

Assistance work
barbell row 3 x 10 at 60%
behind the neck press 3 x 10 60%
curls 3 x 10 60%

being new i want to make sure this is realistically so any and all advice you guys can give would defo be appreciated.

thanks guys -Brett

Take out behind neck press and cgbp and add some abs/back raises. Also dont use % on assistance such as rows and curls.

Fixed it for you…

Squat – 5/3/1 sets/reps
Bench – 50 total reps with FSL

Assistance work

push-ups or dips x 50-100
Chins/fat man rows - x 50-100
Back Raises x 50-100

Wednesday

Deadlift – 5/3/1 sets/reps, 2x8 @ FSL

Press – 5/3/1 sets/reps, 2x8 @ FSL

Assistance work

ab wheel x 50-100

Friday

Bench – 5/3/1 sets/reps
Squat – 50 total reps @ FSL

sit-ups or leg raises x 50-100

Run a total of 1-2 miles (can be divided up in 800, 400, 300, 200, 100m increments), 3 days/week. Do 15 jumps prior to each workout. Do Agile 8 every day.

If you can’t jump, run or aren’t mobile, you might as well be a meal.

4 Likes

Ty so much Jim, ill follow this religiously at the danger of sounding like a retard…

Ive only bought your 5/3/1 2nd edition book so im unfamiliar with FSL. Have i got this correct

for NON 5/3/1 BP and Squat days

Week 1 50 reps FSL @ 65%
week 2 50 reps FSL @ 70%
week 3 50 reps FSL @ 75%
week 4 ?? or just start over at week 1 again?

thanks for clearing this up Jim
-brett

You got it. Be smart. Be patient. And have balance.

So ive worked out all my one rep maxes, surprisingly im stronger than i thought considering ive not previous experience and im eager to start Monday. Any way i read in your book you say every couple of cycles its fine to change assistance exercises ect for a change.

Does this apply to beginner routines too? If not ill just do as you listed above for as long as i can see gains.

If i am allowed to sub assistance on the beginner routine every few cycles, what are some Jim approved barbell exercises that i can use in place of some of the body weight stuff as i get stronger?

Thanks Jim.

My wife is fond of saying “you haven’t earned the right to need variety”.

I still do push ups and chins and dips and leg raises.

1 Like

Jim thank you for personally helping m get started on the right track with 5/3/1. I did my first workout yesterday which felt great, granted i feel like ive been hit with a truck today. I have one last question if you have the time.

As a stated earlier, im 200 pounds with 25% bodyfat, i have very little muscle mass i believe as ive been sedentary for the past 10 years. What id like to know is would you recommend me cutting first or bulking? theres so much conflicting information about this,im pretty confused.

Thanks again Jim, i really appreciate it.

I recommend you do neither - bulking and cutting are code words for people who don’t have the discipline to do what is right. And if you want to do what is right - you develop solid habits that will last your lifetime.

I can’t stress this enough.

As Jim puts it, don’t train for “aesthetics” or “fat loss” or “size”; don’t “bulk” or “cut”, but train to be awesome. This includes doing strength work, conditioning, and mobility work. One of the worst things you can do is to follow what horrendous muscle magazines advocate in terms of bulking or cutting or any of this stupid shit. Because in the end, you will realise how absolutely stupid it is to try to do things like professional bodybuilders, or simply to do what those moron “fitness models” tell you to do. Train for performance, and looks will follow. You will never ever see anyone capable of benching or squatting several plates each side, who is fast, explosive, and mobile, walking around weak or fat. I know this is beyond the scope of your question, and that your question was specifically directed to Jim, but I just wanted to share with you what many people, including me, have done very wrong, at this time while you have the chance to start things the right way, build your foundation on the right base, and then continue on that base. Cheers.

3 Likes