T Nation

5/3/1 BBB Variations

I recently saw this Q&A Post by Jim Wendler: http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=110656&tid=

"Hi Jim, I read that Jason Adams was using your 5/3/1 Training Program BBB for a bodybuilding show, and that you were working on a "bodybuilding" template version of 5-3-1. Any update on that or what mods to BBB do you recommend?? Thanks.

Scott,

I've got numerous Boring But Big programs in my new book - but they are all essentially the same.

There is no secret to any of this - You have to be willing to suffer the soreness of the training and continue to get stronger.

And be disciplined as hell with the diet (i.e. NEVER miss a meal/cheat on a meal for months/years) and the training.

That is what most people find hard to do."

My questions here are for one does anyone know which book he is referring to? And two, does anyone know of more BBB variations or knows where to find these?

Thanks.

The only other 5/3/1 book i've seen him write about is 5/3/1 for powerlifting that is due out sometime.

Any compound exercise can be used for BBB. e.g. your main lift is bp, you can do incline, DB presses, bp, dips, etc for 5 sets of 10 reps. You want to choose an assistance exercise that mimics, to a degree, the main lift.

For squats: squats, deadlifts, leg presses, lunges, good mornings, etc
For deads: squats, deadlifts, reverse hypers, good mornings, etc
For MP: MP, inc bench or dumbbells, dips, handstand pushups, etc.

You are only limited by your imagination.