5/3/1 BBB, Running 10k on Rest Day

Hi everyone…

I tried 531 a few years ago but sadly didn’t make much progress on it because I added way to much volume and generally just sabotaged it through improper use of the the templates …

I’ve just started 531 again and have decided to run the 531 BBB 3 month challenge …

This time I am running the program exactly as written with no plus sets and just the prescribed reps and percentages as recommended…

Monday…
Bench press 531
Military press 5x10
Weighted chins
Lat raises

Tuesday …
squat 531
Deadlift 5x10

Wednesday - running

Thursday…,
Military press 531
Bench press 5x10
Chins 5x10
Curls

Friday
Deadlift 531
Squats 5x10

So far I’m on cycle 1 - week 2 and everything feels very easy … I’m breezing through the 5x10 at 50% and barely feel Iike I’ve done anything when leaving the gym

But I know this will soon get brutal in cycle 2 and 3 so I’m bracing myself for that …

My question is … I like to run 10k on the treadmill at a slight incline on my Wednesday rest day … i just really enjoy it and it helps clear my head… I usually do it just a few seconds over 50 minutes which isn’t exactly amazing but not bad by any means…

Can I still do this on Wednesdays or is it likely to interfere with my 531 bbb challenge ??

For me it sounds that you’re repeating the volume trap again.

1 Like

Why not just do 5 pros and FSL, I would even use a very conservative TM 70% or so. Do you have 531 Forever?

Really ? Aside from the running on Wednesday I’m doing it exactly as written …

I just like the look of the bbb 3 month challenge as I’ve just come off a year on 5x5 I thought it would make a nice change and a good re introduction to 531 … I had planned to run this and then switch to the BBS template after the 3 month challenge …

I’ve never tried the 5s pro… is that the same format as 531 except you do all sets of 5 with the percentages ?

I’m pretty sure that these days Jim recommends just doing the same lift on the same day for the main work and BBB.

Also, adding in a 6 mile run on an incline is clearly adding to what’s already going to be a difficult program and doing something very different than the conditioning he recommends. You can obviously do whatever you want, and it might work. But don’t be shocked or say that the program didn’t work if it doesn’t.

Of course everyone is different and some people can do more than others. BUT you’re chasing two contradicting goals at the same time, which usually leaves both sides half pissed so to say.

So maybe do two shorter/easier runs when doing BBB, and run longer distances when using 5x5 FSL?

2 cycles of BBB, less running
2 cycles of 5x5 FSL, more running

I thought I might have to drop the running … I’ll cut that out then … it’s not a problem , I’ll just have to find something else to do on Wednesdays … a walk and some flexibility stuff perhaps…

I’m surprised so many people seem to be against the bbb challenge … it’s only 3 months though and then I’ll move on to something more long term like the 5s pro or First set last … wouldn’t mind trying BBS though

I don’t think anyone here has said they dislike or are against running the BBB challenge. However, everything should be goal oriented and when you express that you are running 10k every week that completely contradicts the goal of BBB which is to build mass/size.

You don’t think running long distances while doing a program meant to challenge you and put on size are contradicting goals?

I know this is going to sound unreasonable but why not just do the challenge as it was written and then add in the long distance running with a variation more suited for it after

It is only 1 day per week and I usually eat a huge amount afterwards to compensate for the calories burned…

But if it’s going to screw up my 531 then I’ll happily drop it …

I really want to run 531 by the book this time for at least a year and see if I can push past my strength plateau and put on some more size in the process …

I’m not saying it will ruin your progress or screw up 5/3/1, all I was saying is that the BBB challenge was written the way it was because Jim has tested it and it worked the best that way. There is nothing wrong with running it the way you set it up just have to realize you may not get the most out of the challenge that’s all. Also as others have stated if you start to feel run down or your joints (knees specifically) start to take a beating you might have to scale back on the run.

Have you read 5/3/1 Forever? It has many different ways to program it with some leaning more towards having more cardio in the mix and you can still gain plenty of size and strength that way.

I forget where I read it, but endurance training is incompatible with strength training. I believe it’s because it trains slow twitch muscles vs. fast twitch. And endurance training can lead to muscle loss. Think of what an advanced marathoner looks like.

Maybe a nice, slow 20-30 jog might do the trick of clearing your mind while not hampering your training. I use mediation and yin yoga for that end (former marathoner with many muscle imbalances and overuse injuries). The main focus is calming the central nervous system so you can hit it hard in the lift days.

I’m curious what the opinion would be on sprint training. 10 x 100m sprints. Or :30 on :30 off rows. Something that emphasizes power. Might get that runners high your chasing.

Once you put on a lot of muscle, try a focused 10k program. One goal at a time.

It’s probably a good thing you forgot where you read it, because it sounds like it came from bunk. Check out Andrew Clayton or Alex Viada if you wanna see some examples of guys being strong with solid endurance who both lift and run.

1 10k a week isn’t anything close to marathon training. Someone is shape should be able to manage that. Especially if it’s the only conditioning they do.

3 Likes

This is of interest to me, as I’m training for a half marathon and trying to best figure out how to fit it in to a training program. I run much more than the OP right now: about 15 miles per week and will increase it over the next 8 weeks to the mid 20’s.

A 10K at a moderate pace is about 50 min of conditioning. This should not be too much for anyone in shape to handle, and still continue to make progress on their 531 training. In fact, I would think it would improve your results overall.

For me, I have decided to take a break from 531 while a train for the half marathon because my weekly mileage is much higher than yours, and I need to prioritize. I have switched to mostly bodyweight or weighted bodyweight training along with a modified deadlift 531 day (I just hit the numbers, but don’t do the “+” sets).

Now lets get things in perspective here. Could you do bang out multiple (lets say three) 10k runs in a week when following 5’s pro 5x5 FSL for example?

If answer is yes. The one run with BBB wont be too much (though it might hinder the muscle gains, don’t know. Find out and see).